Android 3.2 rollout begins, brings SD support to Xoom, source already in AOSP
zoom compatibility mode that we told you about yesterday, which offers a new view mode to make non-Honeycomb apps run better on Honeycomb tablets. But, the bigger news may be that it also finally turns on the SD card support for US Xooms. So, now that you finally have expandable storage functionality, what will you do with it?
Android 3.2 will also bring support for 7" Honeycomb tablet screens, but that doesn't really mean much to Xoom users. And, as a bonus for any devs out there, the Android 3.2 source is available right now in AOSP.
source: Droid Life 1, 2 via Android Police
1. bossmt_2 posted on 12 Jul 2011, 15:13 1 0
Just bought a Xoom off of ebay so this is great news.
2. CX3NT3_713 posted on 12 Jul 2011, 15:32 0 0
Wow!! My G-slate hasnt even gotten the 3.1 update' lol
19. cheetah2k posted on 12 Jul 2011, 21:24 1 0
Dont stress, not all Xooms will get this update. My MZ601 3G version isn't even on 3.1 yet, and prob won't be by Xmas here in Australia.....
3. taco50 (banned) posted on 12 Jul 2011, 15:56 1 5
wow more "innovation" from android. It supports and sd card 5 months after it came out.
4. r2d2e3 (unregistered) posted on 12 Jul 2011, 16:06 0 0
Is the autocorrect on your icrap a feature?
5. Sniggly posted on 12 Jul 2011, 16:51 5 0
Yep, isn't it great for there to be expandable memory on an Android device, which Apple gas made clear will never be an option on their devices?
11. taco50 (banned) posted on 12 Jul 2011, 17:43 0 1
But is this the innovation you're talking about sniggly? The ground breaking updates that leave iOS in the dust?
12. Sniggly posted on 12 Jul 2011, 18:10 1 0
No... but it's still something that the iPad can't do, and now that the wifi XOOM is a hundred bucks cheaper than an iPad 2 with a comparable flash memory drive, it makes the XOOM a hell of a deal. Now all the XOOM needs is the LTE radio and we'll be set.
13. taco50 (banned) posted on 12 Jul 2011, 18:16 0 2
What is the Xoom price at? $449? Still overpriced for a a basic web browser. I'd be willing to pay about $150 for a web browser if I didn't have an iPad.
16. Sniggly posted on 12 Jul 2011, 19:15 3 0
It's still less overpriced than the iPad, and offers all the same features as an iPad/iPad 2.
Face it, Taco, the XOOM is like a fine wine; it only gets better with age.
22. wumberpeb17 (unregistered) posted on 13 Jul 2011, 10:03 0 0
Enlighten us with what makes the iPad more than just a web browser and why the Xoom is only such...
23. remixfa posted on 13 Jul 2011, 11:01 0 0
wow, if the xoom is a basic web browser.. what is the ipad? all that flash free web browsing must be really high tech right?
what was apples last big move? oh yea, a 1 mpx camera.. wooo hoo!
8. protozeloz posted on 12 Jul 2011, 17:37 0 0
Blame motorola.... other SD card enabled tablets have this.... plus it resizes better the non tablet apps and brings some bug fixes witch is all welcome....
20. CX3NT3_713 posted on 12 Jul 2011, 22:21 1 0
Taco50 go play with your oversized iPod.. Cause that's all it is... I had the iPad 1 n iPad 2.. I sold that chit, and bought me G-slate!!! Never been happier :)
6. missed_the_mark (unregistered) posted on 12 Jul 2011, 16:59 0 0
Couple this news with the fact that there are four open box Xooms at my local best buy for $449, and I am almost tempted to buy one. The tab 10.1 finally arrived and has put doubt into my mind regarding what tab is best. The thin-ness really is O-mazing
9. protozeloz posted on 12 Jul 2011, 17:41 0 0
its a good price for the 32BG device you get updates first than anyone and with this things working now you should be on pair with the 10.1 on some aspects
7. Tmachaveli posted on 12 Jul 2011, 17:23 1 0
The Xoom is really nice might get on from sprint...why do appleboy always be hating??
14. stealthd posted on 12 Jul 2011, 18:30 0 1
Have you seen the comments on Apple articles? A few quips from Taco is hardly as bad as the fandroid hate that follows EVERY Apple article.
Sprints only going to be carrying the wifi version of the Xoom btw.
15. 1234kid (unregistered) posted on 12 Jul 2011, 18:31 0 0
the xoom already has 32gb of internal memory i purchased a 32gb micro sd card from ebay about three months ago when i bought the xoom cause i know this was coming i only paid 12 for the 32gb micro sd card so that 64gb of removable expandable memory do that iphone the galaxy 10.1 is cool as well android is the best hands down. Apple will try to join forces one day watch my words.
17. DigitalBoy05 posted on 12 Jul 2011, 20:00 0 0
Has it been confirmed that this update is for both models of xoom and not just the wifi model? There is a few discrepencies when comparing this article to the one on engadgets page. They didnt even mention the SD card support unless I read the article(engadget) to fast and missed it.
21. wumberpeb17 (unregistered) posted on 13 Jul 2011, 10:01 0 0
As long as the update brings a few critter fixes, my Wi-Fi Xoom will be happy. To be honest, with 32 gigs built in, its tough (for me) to find much use for an SD card slot...other than making it easier to move pictures from my phone to the tablet. Very happy with my purchase overall, especially after seeing that the Galaxy Tab 10.1 was the same damn thing, but thinner and only a 3MP camera...
24. NeverBoring (unregistered) posted on 15 Jul 2011, 11:42 0 0
Is the SDHC appropriate for the Xoom, Android 3.2?