Analysts: Low-cost Apple iPhone to be powered by Qualcomm Snapdragon processor
0. phoneArena 25 Jan 2013, 10:03 posted on
The low-cost Apple iPhone rumored to be coming will use a Qualcomm Snapdragon processor under the hood according to analysts at Detwiler Fenton, as a way to differentiate the phone from the premium version of the Apple iPhone; using the Qualcomm chip will also save Apple some money which would keep margins respectable for a low-priced handset...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
What will it be called? iPhone AL-ZEBRA :)
3. PAPINYC (banned) (Posts: 2315; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
That's just down right mean and unnecessary!
46. Nadr1212 (Posts: 741; Member since: 22 Sep 2012)
I am sooo (not) looking forward for this "low-cost" iphone
54. dan86 (Posts: 298; Member since: 17 Mar 2012)
By today's standard iPhone 5 seems a mid-ranger, I wonder where this so called low end low cost iPhone will take us? 90's? And ya it would come with resolutionary, revolutionary and all those charming words!
20. apexKBC (Posts: 92; Member since: 10 Dec 2012)
Who will buy
mini iphone, or what so ever
There r many smartphones out there for lower price. of Samy,Sony,HTC,
Lg, & many other.
fools will buy dis one
firstly s3 mini and now dis one.
just copy cat..........
41. AppLE.R0yally. (banned) (Posts: 6; Member since: 25 Jan 2013)
We like that™
53. MONUQ (Posts: 31; Member since: 26 Jan 2013)
and it will still be premium...i we compare to budget phones prices....
2. PAPINYC (banned) (Posts: 2315; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
I'm confused....... how will this "low-end" Iphone be any different from their current flagships: Iphones 4S and 5, respectively???
11. PAPINYC (banned) (Posts: 2315; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
So......?????? Are they using all the chips left-over from iPhone 3G?
7. Whateverman (Posts: 3269; Member since: 17 May 2009)
That's what I was trying to figure out, where would it fall performance wise. I can't see people wanting anything less than the performance they may see on an ip4 or 4S. So will these chips be as good or better than the A5 or A6? (Forgive me if the chip numbers are wrong, but you get what I'm saying)
50. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
It said snapdragon, not krait. More than likely your looking at a dual core krait at best, most likely a dual core snapdragon at worst.
51. Whateverman (Posts: 3269; Member since: 17 May 2009)
Oh yeah, duh! And we all know how you feel about snapdragons, lol! Has that change any with the new crop of processors or do you still feel they are subpar? I know the Octo will be an absolute BEAST, but how you think the 600(or is it the 800?) will compare?
33. faisolbauuz (Posts: 121; Member since: 05 Jan 2013)
How about iphone 4 renamed as iphone mini ?im sure many ifans will buying it they dont Care whats inside the phone, they will buying it because apple logo on the back
4. maxis3G (unregistered)
6. ajac09 (Posts: 1481; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
here we go again with this rumor lol one day it will be right.. one day
9. roscuthiii (Posts: 2224; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
I'm not so sure this is the best move for Apple. Might be good for consumers on the lookout for a good deal, but Apple (and with that APPL)? No.
Why? Multiple screen sizes, multiple processors, lower-end devices differentiating user experiences... anyone remember when "fragmentation" was a buzzword?
It sound like Apple is actively trying to bring it back and apply it to themselves.
And, with their long-term marketing showcasing their products as something that "just works" the regular consumer certainly will buy the low end devices for that lil' Apple logo on the back, as they're still expecting them to be backed up by Apple quality. That will be some more profit margin erosion for them. They'll still have a large number of sales and a lot of profit on revenue, but APPL is going to be hit right in the junk.
I guess Tim Cook said not to fear cannibalization because, well... he's a cannibal.
10. BadAssAbe (Posts: 456; Member since: 22 Apr 2011)
Low end usually means a dual core, small screen, and easily bent/scratch materials
iPhone 5 has all three
Why not just lower the prices on the iPhone4s?
I wouldn't mind getting my mother and father one
12. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Any smart phone with a screen of 5 inch and price greater than 13k (roughly $250 inclusive of all taxes) gets unaffordable. This is where Micromax is really dominating the market.
15. champ_vl (Posts: 44; Member since: 31 Aug 2012)
I've just about had it with these analysts coming up with their stupid theories and predictions especially about Apple !!
For Apple switching to another type of chip maker and architecture doesn't make a lot of sense. Why?? Because all their iPhones ar made on the Cortex ARM (which until recently were provided by Samsung) especially their own custom SoC found on the 4S and 5, and the entire iOS is designed to run on these chips.
If you don't have any idea what I'm talking (just like these analysts) then you won't understand what I am saying. But I know I'm right.
26. umadd (banned) (Posts: 40; Member since: 25 Jan 2013)
Oh, and you think you're better than these analysts? How come you're not an analyst yourself? Want to know why? Because you can't. Because you don't know ANYTHING more than these analysts.
29. champ_vl (Posts: 44; Member since: 31 Aug 2012)
Wow nice reply there kid...stay in school and don't do drugs.
Oh and...let the grownups do the talking next time.
31. darkkjedii (Posts: 21786; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Good comeback. U made him look weak by not going ballistic on him.
36. umadd (banned) (Posts: 40; Member since: 25 Jan 2013)
'comeback'? LOL confirmed for 14 year old.
35. umadd (banned) (Posts: 40; Member since: 25 Jan 2013)
Guess what? These analysts went to school. Your case however, is questionable. All you do is kick, cry and scream 'OHH THEYRE DUMB THEY DONT EVEN KNOW WHAT THEYRE TALKING ABOUT!'. Try to actually be logical instead of getting butthurt and becoming a keyboard warrior.
42. jroc74 (Posts: 6014; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
They are like you said..... theories and predictions
Treat them as such and act accordingly. All we can do is guess right along with them.
16. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
you guys really dont get it do you? if apple has roamed this far into "android land" then you can take a WILLLLLLD guess where they are heading next.....
hint......hint..........change of UI..............maybe?...... to look more like android.........maybe?
meanwhile be on the look out for samsung to look more and more like ios and the iphone....lol