Analyst says Nokia should adopt Android before it's too late
0. phoneArena 02 Jul 2013, 10:18 posted on
In a note to clients, Bernstein Research's Pierre Ferragu warns that Nokia may have “to take the pill before one cannot afford to do so anymore” eying Android as a possible fit for Nokia's low-end devices and indicating that the symbiosis with Redmond may run the Finnish company into the ground...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. RiseAgainst94 (Posts: 281; Member since: 03 Mar 2012)
Please Nokia listen to the analysts. I've been saying this ever since I bought a Lumia 900. Adopt Android before you can't!
15. KINGJUAN27 (Posts: 206; Member since: 02 Jul 2012)
Give it time.. WP is quite developing fast, unlike Android in its early stages. And it's a very stable, efficient and fluid OS. But yeah, I also think Nokia should at least make phones for another OS, in case WP's growth becomes stagnant.
38. JojoGo101 (Posts: 211; Member since: 17 Dec 2012)
But then, you can't give it time when it's just making you bankrupt. WP IS the problem. I agree I like it, but if it isn't bring you profits, why wait for it to pay off? Nokia might be dead by then.
79. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
That's what M$ wants before bidding for it. They want NOKIA to be a walking CORPSE before any move to bid for it.
66. grapeseed87 (Posts: 123; Member since: 13 Mar 2013)
I totally agree!
And logic states that if Nokia is indeed the main driving force behind WP then either Microsoft will pump money or 'take over' them.
Or then can make some lower end models with the free Android OS.
24. picka_vi_materina (Posts: 171; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
Nokia should get back to MeeGo before it's too late. They'll share same apps with Jolla's Sailfish OS. Stupid Nokia and stupid, boring, ugly Android.
40. JojoGo101 (Posts: 211; Member since: 17 Dec 2012)
I suppose iOS is fun? Android doesn't change their interface every SIX YEARS. Oh wait, it's Apple, people buy their products and don't care a fart.
46. Whateverman (Posts: 3237; Member since: 17 May 2009)
Not that MeeGo was bad, but going backwards doesn't seem to be a good idea. I would sell what people are looking for now, that's Android with some really good value adds, not necessarily a fancy UI. People want a cool looking phone that their familiar with, so give it to them. Once the customers have returned, then play around with a MeeGo device. But right now, they need Android.
70. 8logic (Posts: 132; Member since: 05 Mar 2012)
excuse me, ugly android?????? YOU CAN MAKE IT LOOK ANYWAY YOU WANT!!!!!!!! you've been drinking the kool-aid for too long buddy.
34. abcdefgh (banned) (Posts: 471; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
nokia does not adopt android until 2016.
if they do so,WP marketshare goes down to earth which they dont want.
39. abcdefgh (banned) (Posts: 471; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
nokia should male a dual boot phone.
ANDROID KLP+WP8.1=end of smartphone competiton and nokia will become the KING
86. Alex123 (Posts: 241; Member since: 17 Oct 2012)
I totally agreed! Nokia should be flexible and smart, don't just adopt only WP. Please Nokia make some android phone
96. Reluctant_Human (Posts: 878; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
There is absolutely no way in hell MS would allow this. But if they did I'd buy the second it hit the shelves.
108. FISTFLY (Posts: 27; Member since: 03 Jul 2013)
If there are dual sim phones why not with dual-OS
89. -box- (Posts: 3982; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Nokia analyzed android before commuting to Windows Phone and found it wanting.
Not much has changed in the intervening years other than market shares. Phone popularity is a revolving door: palm and Windows Mobile went out, blackberry went in; blackberry went out, apple went in; apple went out, android went in; apple's still exiting as Windows Phone is coming in.
95. -box- (Posts: 3982; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
To whit, if Nokia did make androids, they'd be as buggy and crash-prone as any other android device. I haven't heard of one as smooth and reliable as even the basic Windows Phones.
97. Reluctant_Human (Posts: 878; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
Oh thumbs down button. How I miss you so :'(
104. dre786 (Posts: 46; Member since: 10 Nov 2012)
simple question for you how much different Nokia hardware with android would make in this tightly knitted android market be honest
2. whoyton2 (banned) (Posts: 142; Member since: 19 Jun 2013)
Wow...something me and analysts actually agree on....well as long as mr s***ty Elop is here then he will be to busy loving WP than to see the light of day!
7. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
But all the Nokiawp8 users don't and never won't agree....
Why would I jump to an OS coming from open source and end up with really closed OS. How pathetic is that...
You have to wait long time for apps. And now 1080p is on its way to WP8 but it won't be in use till next year. You still have quad core 400+ ppi ..
I mean the only great thing about wp8 is fluid. Who cares when the real substance is not valid.
9. whoyton2 (banned) (Posts: 142; Member since: 19 Jun 2013)
Well said completely agree....#Nokia4Android
13. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Nokia can adopt Android, nobody disagree...
But if Nokia adopt Android, will it sell like hot cakes? Will it help Nokia beat Samsung? Will Nokia be the king again? Nobody knows.
And Windows Phone is growing, so you don't need to worry about anything, apps are coming, games are coming. If Nokia adopts Android, I hope they won't abandon Windows Phone.
Stop whining like a baby and face it, let the CEO decide, you're not a CEO so you can't decide anything. The best thing to do is to shut up.
18. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Really so why didn't Windows mobile didn't grow in 2002 till 2008....
Symbian S60 came and killed Windows mobile.
People consumers prefer open source not restrictions.
The best thing for you to do is wise up seek counselling.
23. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
"The best thing for you to do is wise up seek counselling"
You should change your name to RECYCLE TROLL, you keep recycle your comments, for example "what's the big idear", "wise up seek counselling" etc.
Everyone in PA knows that when you lose an argument, you will use your recycled comments to fight back. Nice try, but you failed.™®©
36. abcdefgh (banned) (Posts: 471; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
nokia wont adopt android.if they do so WP will become dust which they dont want to see happen
41. JojoGo101 (Posts: 211; Member since: 17 Dec 2012)
Their hardware is excellent. With good marketing I strongly believe Nokia can sell very well.
58. AppleHateBoy (unregistered)
Nobody is asking Nokia to beat Samsung. They are only asking them to make inexpensive Android Smartphones that are excellent for their price. For eg. how about a 200$ smartphone that runs Android 4.2.2 has a decent camera, screen and build quality and it will sell like hot cakes especially in Asian and African countries.
82. lorenzattractor (Posts: 67; Member since: 27 Apr 2012)
Even if Nokia were to make a cheap Android handset, it just wouldn't work right. The OS has been proving to be a failure with cheap handet and they never work like they were intended to work. I've had a Xperia Sola and it sucks. Even with it's dual-core processesor, the phone lags, apps don't work right, I even can't play games like Subway Surfers and the list goes on and on. Now, a high-end Nokia running Android, now that's a totally different story...
71. 8logic (Posts: 132; Member since: 05 Mar 2012)
well, considering the only reason why people is buying them is because of nokia and not wp, and why people is not buying it because its running wp; i would switch.
yeah wp is growing, but you fail to consider android is also growing and they have all the apps already.
62. Topcat488 (Posts: 1312; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
TROLL I've read the whole first page... And you come the closes with your comparison too Samsung here.
Samsung even make more money than Nokia when it comes to WP's and TABS, look at that new Ativ Q coming out running Android and Windows.
If Nokia is to compete with Samsung, their gonna have to work like Samsung... Don't limit yourself to one OS when your competitor in selling smartphones in 4 or 5 other OS's.
65. haseebzahid (Posts: 1853; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
ROFL where is the proof samsung is ahead of nokia in Windows Phone market dont talk about tablet nokia have no tablet yet its merly 5% of wp market of samsung or around that
77. akki20892 (Posts: 3808; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Nokia with Android is great, but we don't think nokia will go to android. nokia making wp phone and 100% involve in wp so can't hope that nokia with android, but that for sure Nokia With Android is Superb nobody gonna beat them ever in life and that's my word.
105. dre786 (Posts: 46; Member since: 10 Nov 2012)
have you idea on Nokia and MS relationship, with out that partnership both of them would have gone already esp Nokia
3. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
Yes Nokia. if you guys don't at least try too make a handset I'm telling you that you're device will SELL LIKE HOT CAKES. and LISTEN TOO THE CONSUMER.
54. Stoli89 (Posts: 333; Member since: 28 Jun 2010)
Especially the consumers that cannot spell!
4. papss (unregistered)
here we go again for our once a week discussion on this matter.
5. whoyton2 (banned) (Posts: 142; Member since: 19 Jun 2013)
And maybe Nokia will listen one week....
49. protozeloz (Posts: 5392; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
I still think it could mean lots of money for Nokia while keeping MS for the long run
6. sats.mine2k4 (banned) (Posts: 208; Member since: 10 Aug 2012)
They should check elop's bank account to find how much MS is paying him to keep Nokia away from Android... ANY sane CEO would have picked up Android over WP with their eyes closed...
8. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Every business has plan b on the other side. But Stephen elop killed everything and is relying on MS Wp8. Which business man or CEO would ever do that. No one how pathetic. Even I would not let others fund me to keep business floating relying on ms.
In business options are the utmost.
Samsung have wp
HTC have wp
Sony is planning
But look at Nokia...
80. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
There's no plan B when it's a VIRUS and only plan is DESTRUCTION. Elop is a a M$ Virus
106. dre786 (Posts: 46; Member since: 10 Nov 2012)
Htc relied on android and have some of the best hardware out there look where it got them. they have both and still in trouble its not the os is the Marketing of your product that's where the $$$$ is Apple have neither they rely on one IOS is that a problem. actually it resulted in the most stable os in the mobile market today
10. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3268; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Read this article in GSMarena few days back...
37. abcdefgh (banned) (Posts: 471; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
....and it has made a record for most number of comments.
44. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3268; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Yeah, saw it last hitting 700 mark...
11. scriptwriter (Posts: 396; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)
Some might say that its already too late.
12. Loubielou (Posts: 452; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
Loads of people had the Nokia N8,an then the Destroyer stepped in at Nokia,Mr Elop,an then the day that will always be remembered by a lot of Loyal Nokia People,Mr Elop announced on Febuary 11th "Symbian Is Dead",an then the deal with Microsoft was announced an Nokia made the Switch to Windows,but Windows is miles different from Symbian an as to many Restrictions on it,but Android is more related to Symbian,an so Glad I made the switch to Android,even though I miss using Nokia phones,Mr Elop is not a Chairman but just a Salesman for Microsoft an does know nothing about what consumers want to be able to do on Smartphones,he even stopped the Meego N9 being sold Globally,"We Want Elop Out"
19. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
The N9 was very limited. And wasn't available in every country.
Well said +1
53. user996 (Posts: 213; Member since: 25 Feb 2013)
and again N9 is one of the best even with today's design standards may be specs are low but MeeGo doesn't need more
64. Veigald (Posts: 271; Member since: 13 Jan 2012)
Bull. I had (still have it) the N8 myself, and it was in many ways the epitome of Symbian problems. Underpowered and with Symbian being messier than iOS or even Android, it pretty much only had a great camera and good audio as selling points. And people understood this, that's why Symbian was going down the drain way before Elop stepped in.
And that impression will stay in people's minds even if Symbian was miraculously updated for 2013, it would have to be that much better than Android to have any chance of succeeding. Same with MeeGo, the native app volume would simply take too long for Nokia, they would run out of cash.
14. sergiobr (Posts: 618; Member since: 25 Feb 2013)
I´d love a Nokia "Elvis" or other name ... 41MPx and .. Android. Definetly I´d leave Samsung. But with WP ... NO !!! I ´refer Samsung Galaxy Camera Zoom or Sony Honami.
16. jaredhamline (Posts: 4; Member since: 26 Jan 2012)
Hold on... Their high-end models aren't selling well, so they should make "Low End Android Products"? How does that make sense? I wouldn't mind having an Adroid device similar to the 928 or 922. Why is it too much to make a high end Windows phone AND an Android version for everyone else?
91. -box- (Posts: 3982; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Exclusive contract with Microsoft, for one, and the resulting billion dollars in income per year.
17. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
If Nokia adopts Android, I hope they won't abandon Windows Phone. Because Windows Phone is growing so why give up? Even if Nokia adopts Android, I will still buy their Windows Phones.
22. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Even spending billions on Wp8 it's still not growing.
Android didn't spend nothing and it progressed.
So Windows mobile Wp8 are the same. MS give up no one wants your Xbox wp8. The only great product from ms is w8 w7 w97 the rest is not selling well
The RTS pro are also a fail.
Quit and concentrate on just w8
20. profperez1 (Posts: 58; Member since: 08 May 2012)
I'm sure it's to late. LG came on the scene at the last minute and haven't been moving units. Pissing off MS isn't going to help them. Recently I bought Apple TV and if things don't change I will drink the kool-aid and get an iPhone. I have the latest iTouch and it's a nice device. I won't go back to Android. I like the overall design---but the customization benefits slow you down in the long run. I have been told it's a degenerating OS-----in that it slows down as time goes on----like a Windows PC.
25. shreehari (Posts: 45; Member since: 10 Mar 2013)
please analysts r right its for ur own good
26. Alex123 (Posts: 241; Member since: 17 Oct 2012)
Nokia. Can you listen to your customer? I am a royal Nokia customer and I am currently using Lumia 720. I will go with you forever but what I (and a lot of your customers) want is to see some Nokia android phone. Why do you need to spend much time and all your effort only on WP? I can use both OS so that non of your customer upset with you.
I hope Elop can take it into consideration and make a right decision for the company.