Analyst expands on the reason behind the poor battery life of the BlackBerry PlayBook
0. phoneArena 04 Jan 2011, 11:33 posted on
Despite RIM's denial that there will be a battery life problem when the product is launched , Kaufman Brothers analyst Shaw Wu breaks down the reasons why he sees on-going poor battery performance for the upcoming BlackBerry tablet...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Gawain (Posts: 380; Member since: 15 Apr 2010)
I still think Wu is shooting in the dark. Applause to PhoneArena for seeing the bigger picture in all this too.
2. remixfa. (unregistered)
i dont know why they even print this. if an anaylist was doing anything more than shooting in the dark to get some personal press attention, they would be making a lot more money on insider trading and such. i run flash on my vibrant and dont have any more noticable battery drain than when i was on stock software. its more battery/ power implimentation. If blackberry says they can fix it (since it hasnt even been integrated yet), then id believe them. they may be behind the curve when it comes to smart phones, but they generally make a high quality product.
3. junk014 (unregistered)
Really? That's the picture you use? They have had actual pictures of this thing around for months now, and you use a crappy, doctored iPad mockup?
4. greyski (unregistered)
Funny. Apple uses a specialized die of a cortex a9? This guy's seen what power management features have been built into the Playbook, or what development was at hand before RIM bought QNX? And flash? A possibility, if they dont have an 'on demand' click to activate the plugin a la android.
Its kinda funny, but putting up 'pot shots' like this without any sort of newsworthiness/verification is sheer stupidity. And using the horribly photoshopped ipad picture is stupid.
For a while now, I've not been with the "Phonearena is a bunch of Apple Fanboys" crowd. But I gotta say, this completely turns me off from even going to this site.
Also, if I wanted to read an abbreviated version of blackberrycool.com I'd go there.
5. Wardski (unregistered)
WTF? what drugs is Wu taking.
1. With proper programming and power management controls, QNX can be made to do what ever RIM wants it to.
2. Adobe flash is going to bring down the RIM Playbook?? Sounds like this guys is just an Apple fan boy, I mean, flash isnt going to be working 24/7 on a tab, and not every single web page has flash content, and I'm sure RIM has worked out a way to disable flash content to save battery if it does chew a little. It should also be noted that every android 2.2 phone and tab out there has flash, and its not as power hungry as Wu is pointing out ..
3. The Apple CPU technically isn't home made. Its made by people who know how to make CPU's, subcontracted out by Apple, and its essentially a Cortex A8 (just with different labelling!). Power management can be software/OS controlled - so forks to Wu again.
Based on his track record, it sounds like Wu needs to get another job - can I suggest, maybe predicting the weather, or predicting whether the sun is going to rise tomorrow morning at about 6am....
6. sonisoe (Posts: 356; Member since: 06 May 2009)
wuuuuuuuu, that guy is crazy.... is he saying that rim is shooting themselves in the foot... there's no way rim's or any big company for that matter is gonna launch an inferior product...
7. Tower (unregistered)
It seems to me that Wu is Apple zombie follower that is trying to inject fear in the consumer market about this new product that may pose a serious threat to the Ipad market.