Analyst: 2 to 3 different screen sizes for the Apple iPhone 5S?
0. phoneArena 09 Apr 2013, 13:58 posted on
Topeka Capital Market analyst Brian White, fresh from a meeting with a tech-supply chain company says that Apple mayW the Apple iPhone 5S with two or three different screen size options; White says that the next version of the Apple iPhone will be released in July and also expects to see a low-priced version of the iPhone launched at the same time...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. zig8100 (Posts: 208; Member since: 13 Dec 2012)
On no. The iPhablet. Apple are such hypocrites.
5. greathero1 (Posts: 554; Member since: 13 Jun 2008)
How is that? (Hypocrites) How does responding to the current market landscape make you a hypocrite?
8. SellPhones82 (Posts: 569; Member since: 11 Dec 2008)
Well because Steve was very anti-big screen and ripped their competition for their "Hummer" sized phones and stated no one wants them. Calling someone out for something then doing the same thing makes you a hypocrite. Granted they are 3 year late to the party since the quote below is from July 2010. Plus this goes against their whole "one size fits all" idea. Funny how competition will make you eat your words.
Steve took the opportunity to rip on bigger rivals, saying that making a phone so big "you can't get your hand around it" helps, but that "no one's going to buy that." We're assuming he's likely talking about the latest crop of 4-, 4.3- and 5-inch phones that include the Galaxy S series, the EVO 4G, Droid X, and Dell Streak, even going so far as to call them "Hummers"
9. quakan (Posts: 1314; Member since: 02 Mar 2011)
Steve is no longer the CEO and even if he still was he wouldn't have a choice but to respond to the market's desires.
19. greathero1 (Posts: 554; Member since: 13 Jun 2008)
I hear what you are saying but a comment made 3 or 4 years ago is not relevant to the market of today. As the market changes, companies strategies changes. It doesn't make them hypocrites. His comment was maybe relevant in 2009 or 2010 but not now. On top of that, Steve has been gone for over a year and a half now. I don't know, I just think the comment was silly. To each his own.
44. SellPhones82 (Posts: 569; Member since: 11 Dec 2008)
Yes, and who was responsible for the market change? The same companies he ripped, correct? It was not Apple that started the change as their stance was people don't want them and they were wrong and they realized that. They then started following the competition with the iPhone 5, which Jobs still had his hands on since development started for the 5 prior to his death in 2011, which would have been a year or less after Steve made the comment.
24. therealestmc (Posts: 129; Member since: 23 Jul 2012)
Job has been dead for a while. And he may have been right at the time, but technology has advanced, and I don't see anything wrong with revising its stance on display sizes.
13. darkkjedii (Posts: 17115; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Exactly, then he's calling apple hypocrites based on an article, that's based on an analyst that might've heard something to make him think a certain way. That makes zig8100's comment lame -1
20. akki20892 (Posts: 3817; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
go ahead apple break the samsung record 6.3"......make it 6.5" or 7" Lol it will epic one.......!!!
23. therealestmc (Posts: 129; Member since: 23 Jul 2012)
Why, you have never change your mind?
38. Note2waitingonNote3 (banned) (Posts: 87; Member since: 19 Mar 2013)
They are going for 3.2 and 3.3 inch screens
2. Ninetysix (Posts: 2057; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
In on 100+ post thread. Posts will be mostly from fandroids..
3. Topcat488 (Posts: 1321; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
Note III at 5.9" and the iphone 5S at 4.3", and i'll be all set for 2013... ;)
16. akki20892 (Posts: 3817; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
i think 4" for sure and maybe 4.3" or 4.5"
29. JohnnyBravo (Posts: 105; Member since: 02 Dec 2012)
Im thinking more along the lines of 3.5, 4, and 4.5. If they roll out wth 4, 4.5, and 5' I will be shocked.
Apple has no choice but to adopt the current trend, which is bigger is better. I for once thought that 4' was the perfect size and Im currently rocking a 4.7' mobile device. I do however think for a smartphone the limit should be 5'. Anything bigger is tablet bound or a phablet(hate that term).
4. greathero1 (Posts: 554; Member since: 13 Jun 2008)
I like the different colors on the antennae band. Now what do we have to do to get these on the HTC One lol?
6. davecann2 (Posts: 460; Member since: 15 Mar 2011)
This is great news (if true) and I will be looking to Apple as my next smartphone purchase. I have two complaints about the iPhone...
1. I would like a larger screen.
2. I would like a reengineered iOS.
... Looks like both needs will be met shortly if these rumors turn out to be true.
18. davecann2 (Posts: 460; Member since: 15 Mar 2011)
I'm not so confident that they can pull it all off for the 5S or in 2013 for that matter... but I do believe they could do it all in time for the iPhone 6.
Looking forward to some great stuff out of Apple in the next 12 months!
One thing that has been keeping me from changing to an Android phone is the rumored iWatch (smart watch). I think apple will do with the iWatch the same thing they did with Smart Phone when they introduced the original iPhone!!! IMO
27. darkkjedii (Posts: 17115; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
That's what I think too bro. If apples gonna do a watch, it'll be a hit. I also think iOS 7 will be strong, because it has to be. This is a make or break year for apple, and when they need a hit they usually produce one.
7. Heretic (Posts: 18; Member since: 12 Jun 2012)
It's the year 2013. Is it really asking too much for an iphone with close to landline voice quality, an sd card slot, and an easily removable battery?
10. quakan (Posts: 1314; Member since: 02 Mar 2011)
The last two you've asked for won't happen. How could Apple possibly sell you a 32 or 64gb iPhone when you could buy the 16gb and add your own 64gb sd card in?
17. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Landline voice quality is a function of carrier support. T-Mo is supposed to be supporting HD voice in its LTE markets. Unfortunately, there aren't many T-Mo LTE markets. AT&T is starting rolling out HD voice. Hopefully AT&T's HD voice rollout goes faster than their LTE rollout.
11. McJobs (Posts: 107; Member since: 08 Jul 2012)
Analyst at work.
12. Dion25 (Posts: 42; Member since: 25 Jul 2012)
I'd be surprise to see Apple increase the size with the 5s. The Ip6, sure, but not the 5s. Look for some software updates at best.
15. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Don't include UI redesign in the 'software updates' category. iOS 7 hasn't started alpha testing as yet. The calendar isn't working in Apple's favor for v. 7 by October, 2013 if v. 7 is going to feature a UI redesign.
30. JohnnyBravo (Posts: 105; Member since: 02 Dec 2012)
I agreed but wasnt there an article that said that Apple is gathering employees from their Mac line of computers to help out with this new version of iOS?
If that is the case then they are pushing for later this year. Most likely it will be in 2014 with the iPhone 6 Im thinking. Apple would be silly to push something out without proper testing. ::::coughs:::: iMaps!!
34. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Pulling engineers off OSX 10.9 to work on iOS v. 7 just illustrates how bad of a problem they have. It generally takes around 6 months to go from alpha to Golden Master. If they started alpha testing tomorrow, they could meet a mid-October Golden Master release. I haven't heard anything about alpha testing starting. I would expect iOS 7 to release in 2014.
I expect Apple will do a point release of iOS 6 when the iP5S ships.
21. Android4u (Posts: 456; Member since: 16 Aug 2012)
Watch when this happens hella android fans going to jump ship lol
35. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Maybe in your dreams they jump ship. The only ship they are going to jump to is the KLP ship.
22. NokiaFTW (Posts: 2058; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
I think Apple might increase the size of the screen of the next iPhone to 4.5 inches or maybe 4.8. And then sell an iPhone "mini" of screen size about 3.5 inches or 4 inches. That wouldn't make it an affordable iPhone, rather Apple would have us believing that it is an iPhone for those who don't want a large screen, just like the iPad mini and it would retail for 300 $ and above.
25. dorianb (Posts: 561; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
The great thing about being an analyst is you can predict anything & still get paid.
Three sizes. 3.5" for the 4s. 4" iPhone5. 4.5" for the Chinese knock off running Tizen/Badu/Android.... There.
26. Connie B (Posts: 31; Member since: 13 Nov 2009)
The longer Apple takes to make an 5 inch Iphone the better, especially for Samsung.
31. sun0066 (Posts: 107; Member since: 12 Feb 2011)
One of objective for apple not releasing a bigger screen Iphone is to create the necesity for an Ipad , actually I think it is the bigger reason.
32. Jurdiales (Posts: 129; Member since: 10 Oct 2012)
Those analysts are crazy and like to create hoaxes, cheap iPhones, different screen iPhones, Apple Glasses, what's next??? iToilet??? Damn...
33. Aeires (unregistered)
You already get more than three sizes, 3.5", 4.0", 7.9", and 9.7". Exact same OS on them all. /s
36. jcpwn2004 (Posts: 314; Member since: 18 Jan 2012)
I never really understood the 4" iphone when all they did is elongate it. IMO they should offer a 3.5 & ~4.5" phone. The 4.5" phone should be a row WIDER and taller. I have big hands and the iphone is too small for me in it's current design.
37. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
When Apple finally make an 6 inch "iPhablet", other manufactures already made an 8 inch "phablet"........... =_='
41. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
iPhad not iPhablet.
iPhad == iPh(one) + (iP)ad
39. Abbath (Posts: 99; Member since: 16 Sep 2012)
I came from an iPhone 3GS to the Galaxy S II and thought at that time that the SII was huge! When I come across an SII now after using my Note 2 for some time it feels just under normal sized (atleast to me)...IN my case, I will never be going under 5.5" for my next few phones...big screens rock!
43. martinlosha (unregistered)
The main reason why I bought the Galaxy S3 instead of the iPhone 5 is the screen size...
Apple finally learned that customers make the rules not them...
I am waiting for a 5 inch iPhone...if they can deliver then i will never buy a galaxy phone again.