Amber update starts to appear on some Nokia Lumia models
0. phoneArena 15 Aug 2013, 16:29 posted on
The Windows Phone GDR2 update together with Nokia's Amber update have started rolling out to Nokia Lumia models; one of our loyal readers has just installed it on his Nokia Lumia 928 and some T-Mobile branded Lumia models are also receiving the update as well. The update will be going out at first to the aforementioned Verizon exclusive, but will also be found on other U.S. models...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Penny (Posts: 1242; Member since: 04 Feb 2011)
Thanks for the heads up! Haven't had much time to play around with it, but some things I've noticed so far:
- Improved touch responsiveness on the display
- Nokia Pro Cam app unlocked (very nice camera app)
- Nokia Smart Cam app
- Glance feature (lock screen clock & phone status)
- Double-tap to wake up
- Ability to adjust display color levels (saturation, temperature)
- Faster photos (less delay between tapping the display and actually capturing)
- Proper group texting (used to get all texts separately before, very annoying)
Haven't had a chance to check out much else yet. What I've heard is that the update is also supposed to upgrade the device from Bluetooth 3 to 4, provide better color balance in photos, give you the flip-to-silence feature, improve audio output quality, allow you to change primary search to Google (Lumia 928), and make some improvements to Internet Explorer.
All in all, it's a much bigger update than I was expecting in terms of behind-the-scenes improvements.
16. Penny (Posts: 1242; Member since: 04 Feb 2011)
Hmm, can't seem to find a setting for that. I was under the impression it was supposed to be a part of GDR3, or was it supposed to be GDR2?
22. DFranch (Posts: 140; Member since: 20 Apr 2012)
I'm pretty sure orientation lock is scheduled for GDR3.
21. JojoGo101 (Posts: 211; Member since: 17 Dec 2012)
Fragmentation is there. Though all are "updated" The Lumia 625 and 520 can't have the quick glance feature. Why make it if it's going to miss out on features? People rather pay more than get unsupported. What about the people that likes FM radio? Now 620 users can't enjoy that.
24. -box- (Posts: 3855; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
The 620 is not physically capable of FM radio, and was sold as such. Nokia didn't tell 620 buyers they'd eventually get FM radio. If the buyers cared that much they would have bought the 720.
3. bwhiting (Posts: 173; Member since: 15 Jun 2013)
I installed the updates but my device is not at all loading up with the actual features that was suppose to be on the device.
Should I contact Nokia about the update to check and see what happened with it? I did the update like a week ago and still don't see it on the device after turning it off and rebooting it.
13. Penny (Posts: 1242; Member since: 04 Feb 2011)
What device do you have? And most of the new features are options you turn on through your Settings menu.
17. bwhiting (Posts: 173; Member since: 15 Jun 2013)
I have the 928 and downloaded the stuff about a week or two ago but it still has none of it on my phone when I updated it through the store. No software update came to my phone only the device store updates at the moment.
19. Penny (Posts: 1242; Member since: 04 Feb 2011)
- The GDR2/Amber update was just released by Verizon today, so you would not have received the update a week ago. You might have received some other app updates then, however.
- The GDR2/Amber update isn't presented as an update in the marketplace. To download the update, go to Settings --> Phone Update --> Check for Updates. The phone will automatically download and do the rest, just be patient because it may seem like it gets stuck a couple of times but it just needs some time.
4. HansGoneInsane (Posts: 384; Member since: 09 Aug 2013)
Lucky you guys. I still have to wait and wait for iOS7 :(
5. Santi_Santi (unregistered)
you mean android 2.2, right?
6. Santi_Santi (unregistered)
Sounds very good, thumbs up for Nokia
7. clevername (Posts: 1431; Member since: 11 Jul 2008)
I can't imagine its been different on the 928, but on my 920 I've been able to get bulk group texting since launch. Maybe the change set it to default, as it was an option I had to enable. I've also been able to change default search for a while now too. Don't remember if that cane with the last update or not.
10. Penny (Posts: 1242; Member since: 04 Feb 2011)
Group texting not working on the 928 was due to Verizon; it did indeed work on the 920 already. Not sure about default search as I never tried to change it before, but I did read others saying it's now available for the 928 in GDR2/Amber.
8. AhmadAlsayegh (Posts: 254; Member since: 18 Jul 2011)
checked my 820, nothing so far.... btw, my region is the middle east
9. Credo (Posts: 695; Member since: 19 Apr 2012)
I got a German unbranded NL 920, nothing yet :( i'm in Belgium.
12. tositem (Posts: 17; Member since: 17 Mar 2013)
Not yet in Indonesia. Cannot wait. Rrrggghh.. Since i bought it unlocked/unbranded!
18. DerryAhmad (Posts: 245; Member since: 05 May 2012)
As I recall.. Unbranded Lumia/Windows Phone ones will get the update the latest compared to the carier-tied ones.. It's what happened on the Portico update.
It's weird.. But I'm not sure why..
14. Damo579 (Posts: 211; Member since: 18 May 2013)
At&t hasn't released the update for the 920. Also the Nokia pro cam app enables stereo sound when recording video.
20. shadez10 (Posts: 405; Member since: 15 Jan 2012)
no updates yet here at phil... better wait... :3