Alleged Image of Samsung Galaxy S IV was up on Picasa for nearly a month
0. phoneArena 22 Jan 2013, 11:45 posted on
A press image of the highly anticipated Samsung Galaxy S IV has apparently been up on Picasa, hiding in plain sight during nearly a month after being put up by a student in Hong Kong with no connections to Samsung on December 27th, 2012; the picture even has the correct model number of the phone, “Galaxy S IV GT-I9500 Product Image,” which now is expected to be introduced in late March and launched the following month...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. bvalde09 (Posts: 177; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
it looks nice. Lets talk about a good battery life and good results on a drop test. If we have both I will most likely buy the device. I skip the s3 because drop test was horrible and Note 2 had better battery life.
3. MeoCao (unregistered)
I hope not, this is the same as GS3, time for SS to step up and use metal for GS4, stainless steel please.
17. abdane (Posts: 492; Member since: 07 Oct 2011)
but i thought NFC doesn't work through metals ??? hope i'm mistaken...
48. Zero0 (Posts: 592; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
You are correct.
An NFC tag on a metal surface won't work, let alone NFC through a metal case.
73. SkOne (Posts: 94; Member since: 02 May 2012)
How do you explain the Evo 4g lte? The NFC chip is under the metal part of the phone and mine work just fine...
82. belovedson (Posts: 837; Member since: 30 Nov 2010)
are you sure about that. i owned an evo 4g lte and the metal on the phone was on the side, the kickstand and camera of the phone
91. SkOne (Posts: 94; Member since: 02 May 2012)
the whole phone is an aluminum unibody exept for the plastic up around the camere
93. SudoHalt (Posts: 7; Member since: 02 Jan 2013)
The Nokia C7 has NFC and the battery cover is metal.
69. MeoCao (unregistered)
There will be plastics or glass, but should not be the dominant part of the body.
83. PhenomFaz (Posts: 1218; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
yup NFC doesn't work through metal as good but SS can go in for a meaterial like the Surface tablets a magensum composite alloy which seems to have no problems whatsoever for phones and tabs alike!
Also if its polycarb / plastic then there should be a matte variant to the device as well instead of all glossy
But hey SS will always bring out a winner of a device that I am sure of!
46. cheetah2k (Posts: 1320; Member since: 16 Jan 2011)
And please ditch the home button. I love the clean lines and buttonless styling of the Nexus 4 and Motorola Razr HD
62. nlbates66 (Posts: 327; Member since: 15 Aug 2012)
what is it with this obsessional belief that metal is automatically better than plastic?
80. Wiki_jaan (Posts: 704; Member since: 24 Jun 2012)
if they use stainless steel and weight gose 150+ ... u gona complain again for more weight
88. zhiae (unregistered)
i hate that f**ken fraimmmmmmmmm
4. turk_az (Posts: 37; Member since: 11 May 2012)
and Note II was better than S III in drop test
42. Fruitpoop (Posts: 34; Member since: 27 Dec 2012)
You didn't buy a galaxy s3 because it didn't perform well in drop test? Is this really that hard to not drop your phone or buy a case?
74. corporateJP (Posts: 2431; Member since: 28 Nov 2009)
Not if you're an idiot or have a physical disability (or a spouse/significant other that causes you to throw your phone against the wall in fits of anger).
81. daftastic (Posts: 87; Member since: 07 Jan 2013)
Physical disabilities are a good excuse, any other reason than that is just plain stupid.
72. richardyarrell2011 (banned) (Posts: 510; Member since: 16 Mar 2011)
This render is not the Galaxy S4 you can trust that. Samsung doesn't make these kinds of mistakes. We will see the Galaxy S4 when time comes probably 2 weeks before March 22nd.
77. MrJerry (Posts: 403; Member since: 05 Oct 2012)
I agree with you
Similarity from S series to Notes has become their design pattern
not from S to S
And FYI number '4' doesn't just mean bad luck
It sounds exactly same as a word of "Death"
not only in Korea but also in China and many Asian countries
So I'd say GT-i9500 instead of 9400 is very predictable
78. haroonazeem638 (Posts: 137; Member since: 29 Mar 2011)
What I don't understand is that does the number "4" in Samsung Galaxy SIV not make it unlucky or whatever it means?
Tthe number in GT-i9400 is "9400", NOT 4. Galaxy S4 has the number "4".
This just sounds dumb.
Why change the number 9400 to 9500? Might as well call the next Samsung, The Galaxy SV (S5)
79. MrJerry (Posts: 403; Member since: 05 Oct 2012)
Don't take it that serious dude
They can't change S4 to S5
It will make people so confused and is just silly
But changing model name 9400 to 9500 is not that big a deal
Put it this way
If there are hotel rooms available number from 4,5,6,7,8...
I can pick 5 or something else instead of 4
But if there is only room number 4 availble
I am willing to pick 4 and don't wanna try other hotel
I am not really happy with that number but that doesn't mean I feel really bad
86. haroonazeem638 (Posts: 137; Member since: 29 Mar 2011)
That's not the point. If it's unlucky or whatever, then why use S4 just because people will get confused? How about people in Asian countries won't buy a GT-i9500 S4 because it has an unlucky number somewhere.
85. btbotimtim (Posts: 169; Member since: 08 Dec 2010)
I guess you have not been to Korea. buttons in elevators show "F (four)" instead of "4". Some buildings don't even have 4th floor. it just goes from 3rd to 5th. sounds silly but that is the truth.
5. ilia1986 (unregistered)
I know newer and bigger is always better, but..
I got the SGS3.
It's got a Quad Core A9 Exynos. That's gotta hold enough horsepower to suffice for a few good years.
It's got a 1GB of Ram - again - quite enough to run a lot of things simultaneously.
It's got a 720P 4.8" screen. Any bigger than that and it's borderline too large. And it's already >300 ppi so you don't really need anything more.
8MP instant shot camera. No real need for anything more for regular use.
NFC, Android beam, multi-window, LED light.
Do I really really need the 1080p Exynos octa 5" monster that the GS4 will be? I don't think so. :)
23. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Well, if that is really the S4 on the photo, you can see that, technically speaking, it won't be a bigger phone than the S3.
The bezel is greatly reduced
29. CanYouSeeTheLight (Posts: 1102; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
All your points are valid, but the Galaxy S3's screen leaves something to be desired, especially if it is next to a 720p LCD screen, it has a very visible crosshatch effect which bothers my sight a lot.
38. maccess (Posts: 734; Member since: 16 Jan 2013)
honestly i can't really2 see the pentile from my s3 screen even when it put next to my gf optimus 4x screen.. i pitty people like you because i think watching hd tv might be a nightmare for you since you can look "crosshatch effect" even from the screen more than 300 ppi ( because tv has much more less ppi than any mobile phone screen nowadays )
49. Zero0 (Posts: 592; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Distance is a huge factor. At something like 8 feet, a 60 inch 1080p screen is a retina display. And I think that has fewer than 50 ppi.
50. maccess (Posts: 734; Member since: 16 Jan 2013)
and off course you wouldn't see your phone's screen that close.. at normal distance you wont see any difference between pentile or non pentile screen... unless you have a "Godly eagle eye.."
67. AWiseGuy (Posts: 68; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)
More specifically, a 60" 1080p display has a pixel density of 36.7 ppi. At about 8-12 feet, this density is sufficient to make your eye unable to pick up individual pixels. I know this personally; I have a 55" 1080p TV and the picture quality is spectacular from about 14 feet. For comparison, my TV has a pixel density of 40 ppi.
87. CanYouSeeTheLight (Posts: 1102; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
That just blowed my mind, how can you compare an HD TV to a phone? Anyway the TV has a full RGB sub-pixel grid not pentile, it is very visible on the S3, my sister's S2 doesn't have that crosshatch. Heck i can even see pixels on my One X which has RGB. I am talking about situations were you have to hold your phone closer to the face like when you are in bed. Saying you can't see see pixels in your S3 can just mean 2 things, first you have a bad sight or second you always hold it far away.
33. phonemirer (Posts: 111; Member since: 07 Dec 2012)
so, get a new phone on 2014, normally from a year to another there isnt a great change, apple doesnt know what is even a change.
37. MistB (Posts: 581; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
Good for you, I want bigger and better thank you very much! The S3 is not enough for me, sorry :)
45. metalpoet (unregistered)
in america the bastards gave us a dual core instead of the quad core. i want the damn quad or octa! and I missed out of the note 2 because i already had the gs3 so i want an even bigger screen.
57. biophone (Posts: 1900; Member since: 15 Jun 2011)
Maybe if the bezel is redic small but I agree phones are too large. My iphone 4 screen is a bit big for me sometimes even. I can't imagine having a phone above 4.5 even with a small bezel. The sgs3 might be an exception.
65. adelta90 (Posts: 63; Member since: 14 Sep 2012)
you make a good point, but not all of us own GS3's and A15 cores wipe the floor with A9 cores, so its not really a question of "need".
18. abdane (Posts: 492; Member since: 07 Oct 2011)
yes... because 5" is taller than 5.5", right ?
70. AWiseGuy (Posts: 68; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)
I checked the image for you really quickly and found that the screen in question has an aspect ratio of 1.787, which is actually not insignificant compared to the Note II's 1.777 (16:9). I don't expect Samsung to use a screen with these dimensions in their next phone, especially since the SGS IV is supposed to come with a 1080p screen which also has a 16:9 aspect ratio. In short, you're justified in saying it looks a little strange compared to the Note II.
7. squallz506 (banned) (Posts: 1075; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
I seriously doubt the exynos 5 octa will be in the siv
The first device i can see it in is the note 8.0" or note 3
19. g2a5b0e (Posts: 3577; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
The Note 8.0" is already officially gonna be sporting a 1.6Ghz quad-core Exynos 4412, same as in the Note 2. I would have thought the same as you that we wouldn't see the Exynos 5 until the Note 3, but read the second paragraph of the link I'm gonna post. It was posted yesterday; you must have missed it.
8. PAPINYC (banned) (Posts: 2315; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
I'm sorry, if I had to choose between the phone above (Galaxy S IV) and the iPhone 5S, I would choose the iPhone; I just HATE green wallpaper.
[thank GOD my GN2 has blue wallpaper]
9. schinnak (Posts: 84; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
just so that you know...........the wallpaper u r talking about; unlike the one you stick in your living room - this one can be changed easily
12. PAPINYC (banned) (Posts: 2315; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
But, I love Apple's predetermined finite selection of wallpapers, i.e., Earth (from space); kitten (through peep hole); rock collection; etc!!
25. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1705; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Don't forget the water droplets! Such a fine selection!
39. PAPINYC (banned) (Posts: 2315; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
Forgive me, how the heck did I forget droplets!!
Must've been thinking of that massive upgrade in the iPhone 5S and the new 4.0" screen.
66. ncv144 (Posts: 126; Member since: 04 May 2012)
You forgot to use the /s after your sarcasm
22. mick25 (banned) (Posts: 110; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
Do you not know how to change wallpapers?
26. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1705; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Do you not know he is being sarcastic? He is well known for his iComments against Apple
28. mick25 (banned) (Posts: 110; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
Sorry, I don't browse PhoneArena and read his comments all day
40. PAPINYC (banned) (Posts: 2315; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
i........Resent that (I am trying to be a good little boy this year but, it's nice to know you can change wallpapers - who knew?!).
10. w-t-f (Posts: 42; Member since: 21 Aug 2012)
it does looks like Note 2 but still looks better then S3,would be nice to see Samsung stepping away from glossy plastic finish and start using better materials. and I hope that this isn't S4 because its gonna be a smaller Note2.