All you need to know about the Nexus 4 and Nexus 10
0. phoneArena 29 Oct 2012, 16:46 posted on
Hurricane Sandy may have forced Google to cancel its event, but it couldn't stop Android 4.2 and the new Nexus devices from getting announced today...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Ninetysix (Posts: 1782; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
I thought the iPhone5 was a big disappointment and here comes the new Nexus 4 phone...lol
NO replaceable battery
NO SD card slot
cheap ..just like most of the android phones out there.
7. jphillips63 (Posts: 191; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
How can you guys say it's not all about specs when all we see and read here are specs on this device and the others, then we see comparisons of specs between devices. The majority of us users ask for removable batteries, SD card slots and why the heck would we go backwards in the installed radios?
17. BillyG (Posts: 305; Member since: 24 Sep 2012)
i can't stop laughing, usually fandroid always boasting those gimmicky specs and now it suddenly not about specs anymore??
24. tedkord (Posts: 5997; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
You do realize that was the author who said that, and he has a reputation of being an Apple apologist?
Now, it's the rest of us who can't stop laughing.
38. remixfa (Posts: 14251; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
sure it is
IPS 720p HD screen
Krait Quad with Adreno 320
2 gigs of ram
google direct updates
360 panoramic camera
$350 full price.
Anyone whining after that is stupid.
39. gallitoking (Posts: 4693; Member since: 17 May 2011)
-720p screen how is that a feature on a phone?
-2 gigs of ram? every high end device Android have that now.
- induction charging will take longer and doubt anyone will love these feature.
-HSPA+ really on a 4G LTE even prepaid has LTE now.
Let's be honest the only innovation here is the 350 price tag.... don't be fooled
41. GeekMovement (Posts: 1761; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
and the iphone doesn't have those features. Everyone knows Apple is now secretly envying Android. Congratulations on the new notification pull down adding some WIDGETS in there too, panorama finally! as well as LTE, and wow a new map application with turn by turn navigation!! total innovation and wait for it... wait for it...
a screen that finally surpassed the 3.5" "sweet spot"!
Future, apple is going to make their screens even larger and implement quad core, and more android features to make their platform "better". Perhaps maybe even live wallpapers is next? Windows definitely thought that was a good idea already. Perhaps apple will also take note of some of the android handset devices and make phones that do not have the "patented rectangular shape with round corners."
47. gallitoking (Posts: 4693; Member since: 17 May 2011)
I was talking about Android here you want to talk about Apple go to an Apple article.. but since you had nothing smart to say on this article you did the only thing you could do bash Apple
42. protozeloz (Posts: 5387; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
And suddenly the price tag is innovation..... Lol
49. remixfa (Posts: 14251; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
really, the 720p HD IPS LCD screen isnt a feature? So, the lower resolution but same tech on the i5 is a "Feature" but its higher resolution brother is not? lol.
2 gigs of ram. Name 5 smart phones sold in the US with 2 gigs of ram.
If they made a car dash port of that, I'd buy it. sleek charger while using GPS.
HSPA+ 42mb is the same speed as LTE in real life testing. National test after national test has proven it. Werent you the same guy that said LTE wasnt needed when the i4s passed it up? lol.
HSPA+ is in more areas world wide by far, and it uses less battery.
51. gallitoking (Posts: 4693; Member since: 17 May 2011)
ohh remix the States always gets everything late top tier Android phones have 2 gig of ram not in the States of course, here there is a T-Mo carrier that passes HSPA+ as 4G and because that is false they will start their own 4G LTE
55. remixfa (Posts: 14251; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
you mean that "fake 4g" that is just as fast or faster than VZW in country wide tests?
you do realize that "4g" is any tech that can go 14.4mb/s and faster.
the only fake 4g is Wimax and that "4g" that the i4s tried to pretend it had..
62. CRICKETownz (Posts: 980; Member since: 24 Oct 2009)
HSPA+ that rivals top dog network speeds...best price plans in the industry. Top tier devices. Then why the hell is T-Mobile such a sinking ship? I'd think with that equation they would be leading.
57. GeekMovement (Posts: 1761; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
That's why I posted that comment, because the only reason you would have to come to an android article is to do the exact same thing you claim that I am doing, ye dumb hypocrite.
64. iDroid8 (Posts: 155; Member since: 16 Oct 2012)
2gigs of ram+quad core cpu is still a rarity
nobody will like wireless charging- are u 1 of them who were hailing apple to bring about this thing, so that it can be told to the world how good it is
lte was tried on the previous nexus, and the reason to scrap it off was explained too
6. Ravail (Posts: 182; Member since: 14 Oct 2011)
Yeah, i was gonna get this, but now i have my eyes set on LG Optimus G.
10. protozeloz (Posts: 5387; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
It is the LG Optimus G.... with stock android.... what you are missing in there bud?
25. tedkord (Posts: 5997; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
The Optimus G will be released by carriers, and will have those LTE bands, etc...
54. Ravail (Posts: 182; Member since: 14 Oct 2011)
The reason i chose the AT&T branded LG Optimus G, is due to it has LTE and a Micro Sd card slot, due to me having more than 16gb worth of media.
8. protozeloz (Posts: 5387; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
Why cheap? The iPhone was made out of glass and it was "premium" there is no unlocked LTE phone or even HSPA phone that beats the price in that matter. But what you say it true?
It Has wireless charging
It has NFC sharing capabilities
It has a true HD screen
It has the most powerful processor on earth
It has two gigs of ram
It has improved awesome features instead of copied features and gimics
It still nice to the hand thiner and lighter than its predecessor
34. SlimSoulja86 (Posts: 645; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
"It still nice to the hand thiner and lighter than its predecessor"
lemme see if I get this right. You did get your hands on it right?
43. protozeloz (Posts: 5387; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
You know there is something called specs you know? And with it detailed information of the device
9. galokjai (Posts: 34; Member since: 20 Jul 2011)
I don't know why you need any of those three items. Don't you have a computer or an external hard drive at home to store all your stuff? Why do you need to replace the battery for?
14. jan25 (Posts: 433; Member since: 26 Feb 2012)
tell you what, go enjoy your crappy skinned phones with a 1 year time span. leave the Android purists alone. HSPA+ is fast enough without being a battery drainer, non-replaceable battery is a reality except for Samsung devices, and SD card while a loss but it will never happen in Nexus devices so get over yourself and don't come here whining about slow updates or buggy ones.
28. edward_collins (Posts: 2; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
shhhh!!! fandroids will thumb you down for pointing the obvious LOL
48. daqwid2727 (Posts: 11; Member since: 16 Mar 2011)
but wait... isnt 3g enough? and why would u like to search battery when drop ur phone? and last one... why everybody love SD cards?
53. taz89 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 03 May 2011)
yh cause the iphone 5 has sd card slot and removable battey and lets not forget apart from lte the nexus 4 beats the spec of the iphone 5 in every way for half the price....if you want to pay more for less good for you and find it funny apple fanboys keep bringing up the cheap crap cause there are plenty of flagships out there that are same or more than the iphone 5...you want to know why apple are a rip off they sell the iphone 4 for £320 and thats over 2 years old and is single core 512ram 5mp camera no lte where as the nexus 4 has 720p screen,quad core a15 based chip,2gb ram and 8mp camera for £280 now you tell me apple are not a rip off
59. syedzain (Posts: 175; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
and it even lost in benchmark results with Iphone 5 lol
3. Non_Sequitur (Posts: 1111; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
I don't care about lack of removable battery or SD slot.
No LTE? Because "there aren't enough markets open right now?"
Ridiculous. The Nexus 10 is great, though. Hope to get a 32 GB Nexus 7 for Christmas.
12. VZWuser76 (Posts: 2256; Member since: 04 Mar 2010)
The main reasons I look for an sd card slot is 1. Music - and not always having an internet connection to access cloud, 2. Games - most signature games like GTA, Max Payne, Batman, etc are needing 1-3GB of space per game, and 3. Future - granted some won't have the phone for over a year (let alone 2 years), but if you do who knows what will be requiring large local storage space in the near future.
As far as LTE, I truly believe their experience with Verizon and Qualcomm left them soured. Verizon for getting involved in the Nexus update process& turning it into a CF, and Qualcomm for their reluctance to license their tech to an open market company. Can't say as I blame them.
4. abdane (Posts: 480; Member since: 07 Oct 2011)
Nexus 4 is a bit let down for me... but nexus 10 ??? THAT'S A BEAST !
60. syedzain (Posts: 175; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Oh that's why it lost in benchmark results with iPhone 5 and ipad 4 hehe
5. jphillips63 (Posts: 191; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
No SD card slot and lack of LTE radio has turned me away from the LG Nexus. I'm sorry I'm in a 4g area and why in the world would I step backwards on radios in a device I use on a daily basis. LG and Google took two steps forward and three backwards when they decided no LTE radios.
11. protozeloz (Posts: 5387; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
Its a cheap unlocked device how many phones with this horse power you see for 300? Plus is either that or repeating the Verizon Galaxy Nexus Event all over the place
13. bloodline (Posts: 702; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
Nexus 4 is awesome best display one the fastest processors, top ram, android 4.2. All at an affordable price. U guys m have to remember nexus devices are not for a typical consumer. Its designed to show software, Google cloud Google stream etc.. if u want ur SD cards go for an s3
15. Sakeem (Posts: 347; Member since: 05 Sep 2012)
I guess they felt they were in a darned if you do darned if you dont situation. Either go with a carrier and sacrafice the ability to update to their nexus device when they want in a timely manner or keep it pure google experience and sacrifice the carriers and lte. I think they made the right choice. Its still a beast of a phone at a very good price point. Cant wait to see the reviews on this.
18. Non_Sequitur (Posts: 1111; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
What is with the stupid update crap? All they're doing is not putting it on Verizon or Sprint. AT&T and Tmo will slow down updates too! It's not like either carrier is THAT much faster than Verizon. They could have kept an LTE radio in the AT&T version!
Google should have just told all the carriers not to slow down updates ANY further! Google has all carriers by the balls here because if the Android devices disappear from a carrier, half the store disappears with them! They seriously need to take charge, because I'm getting pretty pissed off here.
20. DaNTRoN (Posts: 135; Member since: 23 Jul 2012)
Maybe I'm missing something... You buy the phone unlocked, you call T-Mobile, you get a sim card, you make phone calls, and then, when android 4.3 comes out you get on WiFi and press update. Nothing to do with T-Mobile for software.
23. Non_Sequitur (Posts: 1111; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
I'm fine with the Nexus 4 having only HSPA+ off contract. It's coming to Tmo on contract as well. On contract on AT&T or any other carrier, you should have LTE...
31. Zero0 (Posts: 591; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Updates on unlocked Nexus phones come straight from Google with no carrier interference.
As for Verizon delays, they exist big time. Sprint's already rolling out Jelly Bean on the S3, while Verizon customers will be expected to wait until 2013. Sprint got the 4.1 update over the ait for the Galaxy Nexus in a reasonably timely manner, while VZW took months.
Google really has little control. They can't pull their operating system off the shelves. The best they can do is not offer the Nexus. Samsung and LG and Sony and HTC will all continue selling their Android phones to carriers.
16. SleepingOz (unregistered)
I like the Nexus 4 aesthetic but gorilla glass or not, it looks fragile. I might get the Nexus 10 for christmas though.
Can't wait to get 4.2 on my beastly GNOTE II!
35. therealestmc (Posts: 129; Member since: 23 Jul 2012)
Yea, The note 2 should get it by Dec next year.
44. SleepingOz (unregistered)
Nice try but troll harder next time..
Also I won't wait for the official update. I'll flash it myself. This is the beauty of Android! =]
19. maestro1 (Posts: 9; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Does Nexus 4 supports GLONASS? On the official Nexus 4 page, I see just GPS support and no GLONASS, but Optimus G has it.
21. DaNTRoN (Posts: 135; Member since: 23 Jul 2012)
Will more than likely give the ol one-s to my girlfriend and get a nexus soon
22. Xquisite (Posts: 87; Member since: 23 Apr 2012)
Only thing I know is
- I'm real happy with my Galaxy S3 running JB and won't "sidegrading" to a N4.
- I won't be buying the Nexus 10 because it is basically a bigger version of my Galaxy S3
- I shall be buying an iPad Mini because I've never had an iDevice but I always play around with my little cousins iPad and there are some fun apps that aren't on android.
26. fanboy1974 (Posts: 1313; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
If I wasn't getting the Note 2 I would have surely grabbed the Nexus 10. Just trying to stay with one device.
27. fistigons (Posts: 263; Member since: 11 Feb 2012)
I wonder if HTC, Sony and Samsung still have a Nexus planned.
33. Zero0 (Posts: 591; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
My best guess is that it won't happen.
Realistically, a Nexus device is supposed to be the model Android device. It's supposed to define what an Android phone is, to set the bar for everyone else. You can't have multiple phones doing this job. It has to be one, unified device.
Maybe it will happen next year, maybe not. And if it does happen, we'll probably see two, maybe three models, tops. Something in the 4.5 inch range, a 5-5.5" "phablet," and maybe something on the smaller side.
30. mydi.maus (unregistered)
not even close to iphone5,or even gsIII NEXUS CRAP 4...
32. Zero0 (Posts: 591; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Please tell me more about how awful the Nexus 4 is.
The Nexus 4 is expected to be better than both of those devices in price and software, and maybe even in processor speed. The only real loss is LTE, the option for higher capacities, and in the case of the S3, a removable battery.
I'm not going to go around saying that the Nexus 4 is going to revolutionize the world or anything, but it's a pretty darn good device.
52. evarod48 (Posts: 152; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)
I'm unfamiliar with this whole "unlocked phone" thing. As a current Verizon customer I cannot get this phone right? And if not what is the best alternative?