All hail the eight cores! Samsung announces Exynos 5 Octa mobile processor
0. phoneArena 09 Jan 2013, 11:44 posted on
The latest member of the 5-series has been done with frugality/performance ratio in mind, as the chief of Samsung Electronics Stephen Woo admitted that the task to up performance while decreasing power consumption has been the one bothering him, and keeping him awake at night...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
151. Hunt3rj2 (Posts: 396; Member since: 11 Nov 2011)
Nope. You don't understand my argument, and you also feel the need to be condescending at that.
Multicore is meaningless unless it produces a larger performance overall, which explains why Medfield was ridiculously faster and more power efficient than Tegra 3.
Equally important is to note that if the SoC is being pushed to do a workload that is more than a previous gen could do, it will always use more power, no question asked.
47. darkkjedii (Posts: 9290; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Samsungs chip sets cant b beat. Look forward to seeing what this can do.
153. Hunt3rj2 (Posts: 396; Member since: 11 Nov 2011)
Except, you know. Qualcomm is more than a match.
50. CanYouSeeTheLight (Posts: 632; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Wait a sec, what hapenned to the Exynos 5450? It was introduced last year and it will probably be on the Galaxy S IV, which means this will go to a tablet or the Note 3?
53. phljcnth (Posts: 200; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
I can officially say I'm a Samsung fanboy!
60. SleepingOz (Posts: 2479; Member since: 22 Oct 2011)
I knew it! Samsung is gonna dominate competition once again this year!
61. ilia1986 (unregistered)
Awesome. Definitely awesome. Can't wait for the Android version which would fully benefit from all this power. :D
70. AshishRomea (Posts: 145; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
GALAXY S4 will release in june to august and will be revealed on MAY 2013 , this was for people who might start telling that phones @CES (XPERIA Z) and @MWC (HTC M7) will be slow coz SONY will have its A15 phone in IFA 13 :) to take on NOTE 3 & S4 till then H1 will see Xperia Z rule :)
71. remixfa (Posts: 13902; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
so.. what A15 chip will Sony be using? Samsung is the only actual maker of A15s right now. The Krait pro is not an A15 chip. OMAP is out of the game.. and those chinese knock off chips dont count.
99. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5483; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
Texas Instruments is not out of the game either. Imagination Technologies has an OMAP5 Prototype with the SGX Rogue at CES.
101. remixfa (Posts: 13902; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
Are you sure? I thought Ti came out and said that they were out of the game.... then back in the game... then back out of the game like a month later. They are doing the hokey pokey.
134. Hunt3rj2 (Posts: 396; Member since: 11 Nov 2011)
TI is not going past OMAP 5 ever. There is a small chance that OMAP 5 will ship, but if TI decides it won't make money then it won't.
136. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5483; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
i guess development work is still being done on the OMAP5 platform but they are just dancing around whether or not they want to mass produce it.
106. Guest_star (Posts: 231; Member since: 30 Dec 2011)
well we will w8 and see what will krait 400 be based on, i bet they will modify arm cortex a15, there is no other way to compete with exinos and t4, even now krait cores of curent gen are using a15 set of instructions if i remeber corectly
133. Hunt3rj2 (Posts: 396; Member since: 11 Nov 2011)
Stop using the words Krait Pro, because they make no sense together and suggest that you don't know what you're talking about.
Krait 300 has a large IPC increase (15% at same clock) and is generally tweaked when compared to Krait 200 (APQ8064/MSM8960). Krait 400 adds on to that with even better memory bandwidth, better cache, and massively higher clock speeds. Of course, no one said that it will equal Cortex A15 clock for clock, but the power savings is immense.
138. remixfa (Posts: 13902; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
that's amazing, because the chip in my Nexus4 is the Krait Pro quadcore.
Your confusing their NEW names with their current names.
152. Hunt3rj2 (Posts: 396; Member since: 11 Nov 2011)
No, it's called the Snapdragon S4 Pro. Give me a single link that calls Krait v2/200 "Krait Pro", especially when the same exact CPU version is in the MSM8960.
If you care to read a bit, you'll notice that they actually have an APQ8064T launching, along with MSM8960T, which are going to be Krait v3/300, and MSM8974 is going to be Krait 400, which is higher memory bandwidth and much higher clocks to boot.
You need to stop talking about things you don't understand and stop trying to fight a position that has no basis in reality.
76. yowanvista (Posts: 275; Member since: 20 Sep 2011)
Meanwhile: Apple sits tight in their cave.
77. mariosraptor (Posts: 98; Member since: 15 Mar 2012)
if these monster processors come and games benefit from it, then no OEM should make a phone with these CPU's and less than 32gb internal memory.
Games nowdays are becoming huge and their data can only be downloaded in internal memory.
78. SmartPhoneStream (Posts: 157; Member since: 21 Jun 2012)
If this is on the Galaxy S IX or Note III that would be insane
80. Larry_ThaGr81 (Posts: 294; Member since: 26 May 2011)
I wouldn't expect to see this new technology no earlier than September of this year.
81. remixfa (Posts: 13902; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
it is very unlikely to be in any phones this year. They havent even dropped quad core Exynos 5's into retail yet. That will most likely be in the Note3 and SGS4.
These chips are meant more for the netbook/chromebook/high end tablet crowd.
109. SmartPhoneStream (Posts: 157; Member since: 21 Jun 2012)
I know it'll be highly unlikely but it would be great, in an era of quad cores, releasing an 8 core would be a great selling point
79. Larry_ThaGr81 (Posts: 294; Member since: 26 May 2011)
It will definitely be interesting to see what all these new processors will do once they are actually implemented into future devices.
105. Guest_star (Posts: 231; Member since: 30 Dec 2011)
I really can't beleave what I am reading, y'all hidiots are writing off T4 and even snapdragon 800 over this, this will be equall with them there will not be any advantages on max power that are noticable or even any for that matter with this processor, mb on batery life coz sammsung is great with optimising battery life but when it comes to max power i doubt this will beat anything, just take last gen exinos 4 quad in note 2(because it is higher clocked) against s4 pro and tegra 3 in one x+, according to benchmarks it losses to both...now ac GPU is considured i have no idead who will win but they all sound great...i can't wait and see am I wrong in my claims :D
108. Edmund (Posts: 645; Member since: 13 Jul 2012)
yeah, just like 8 core processors have become hugely popular in the PC market /s. The last time I checked, the most popular desktop chip was a dual core Intel.
112. mydi.maus (unregistered)
TeGra 4 will make exynos 5 cry ;...(
114. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 5645; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
GIVE ME A HELL YEAH!!!! HELL YEAH!!!