All New HTC One (M8) to have a Google Play Edition and funky flip covers
0. phoneArena 08 Mar 2014, 13:14 posted on
The HTC M8 Google Play Edition should appeal to those who want an unlocked smartphone without Sense 6.0 UI. We don't know when this model is supposed to be launched...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
2. ihavenoname (Posts: 1406; Member since: 18 Aug 2013)
Agreed. If someone really wants to cover that beautiful metal body, this is really great case.
17. Aviiiik (Posts: 4; Member since: 08 Mar 2014)
Really man look at that dots.. great work HTC
44. SellPhones82 (Posts: 509; Member since: 11 Dec 2008)
So dot on the front are good, but dots on the back are bad? Did I get that right? Hard to know when one OEM gets bashed for it and then another does it and it's "great"...both still look like band-aids to me...this just looks like the old Lite-Brite from the early 80's.
21. rd_nest (Posts: 769; Member since: 06 Jun 2010)
You mean another gimmick to show time??
No wonder HTC is going down the drain. Instead of doing something proper, wasting time in a case to show time. Yea, as if customers are going to be floored by a case that shows time.
Idiots at work. This company will be vanish by next 2 years.
22. lyndon420 (Posts: 1743; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
Well at least we can take comfort in knowing that your opinion is 'yours'...and you are by all rights entitled to it. Personally I think it's not a bad idea coming from someone who has a tendency to pull my phone out quite frequently just to see what time it is. With this at least I'm not slowly scratching my phones screen each and every time I take it in and out of my pocket. Not a bad idea.
26. rd_nest (Posts: 769; Member since: 06 Jun 2010)
So, you don't have a watch? or do you find checking the time on your watch too tough?
41. rd_nest (Posts: 769; Member since: 06 Jun 2010)
looks like you're born retarded. go check with a doctor.
33. techaman (unregistered)
No watch here not after I fudged up my movardo only cell if I care to find time out I use sun most of the time
43. Lyotek (Posts: 3; Member since: 12 Feb 2014)
More all Android deals here goo.gl/uoAp8G if someone is interested
3. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4027; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
That looks pretty cool, I love what HTC is doing
7. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5808; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Google Play Edition needs to be released concurrently with the other editions of the New One. Last time around, it was ~6 months after the initial One release before the GPE surfaced.
12. kryme (Posts: 141; Member since: 24 Oct 2013)
dont think htc will do that because they r really pushing their own skin... so the GPE prolly come out 6months later again....
31. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4027; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Maybe they'll just release the New One, but will also announce a Google Play Edition ROM that can be downloaded from HTC's website, and possibly a new app that will put it on for you instead of having to flash it yourself. It might pull a few average consumers into the stock Android side of things, and people would complain less about "fragmentation".
34. techaman (unregistered)
HTC will cover broken screens for 3 years on the devices and also they will keep the warranty on the phone even if you lRoot and put a custom ROM on the phone that brings tech heads
4. newbey123 (Posts: 414; Member since: 19 Mar 2012)
Awesome case! However, the M8 is too much of a gorgeous beast to cover up. I plan on rocking mine naked as a baby.
37. SleepingOz (unregistered)
I wouldn't recommend this, especially if the build quality is the same as the One.
30. shyguy3763 (Posts: 46; Member since: 27 Oct 2013)
I'm still gonna hold out to see what Nokia brings,then it's decision time,Nokia,HTC or Sony!
6. Bioload25 (Posts: 208; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
As classy as the device itself. Make them both widely available with good advertising and you have profit ;)
9. papss (unregistered)
I actually love that case.. How inventive of them.
I don't like any case so for me this is a big change.
10. Lauticol (Posts: 196; Member since: 25 Jun 2011)
I think the case has a lot of holes, and when it's closed the the screen lights some holes making the time and weather appears. This is actually pretty cool, but would be better using AMOLED so the battery drains less!
11. datphoneguy (Posts: 140; Member since: 15 Sep 2013)
Cool case, but how can it be sunny at 12:05am? LOL
24. g2a5b0e (Posts: 2193; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
Go to certain parts of northern Alaska & you'll figure it out.
14. threeline (Posts: 256; Member since: 11 Sep 2011)
I've been and a Galaxy S guy since the inception of the line but I am now ready for a change, all I need to hear is the New One has atleast a 2600mA battery and I'm in and will trade my GS4 for their unit. If not, its gonna be GS5 for me. So HTC its on you, I know I'm only one customer but I am one you didn't have before!
27. nobelset (Posts: 269; Member since: 17 Oct 2012)
Hey, I'm in a similar situation, but I think I'll go for the z2 this year :-). I'm kind of like the entertainment type of guy, so it'll be the perfect phone to replace my note 2. I wanted to wait for the note 4,but it's still months away...
38. SleepingOz (unregistered)
Same here but I'm going Oppo this year I think.
15. techperson211 (Posts: 662; Member since: 27 Feb 2014)
Nice cover. But why would you cover your phone if it is that beautiful .
16. GeekMovement (Posts: 1501; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
Good idea with the OLED lights. This concept is already on phones throughout Asia, but I think this is the first on a flip cover that I've seen. The only problem is I don't want to cover the beautiful phone up!
23. TechFreak123 (Posts: 83; Member since: 25 Feb 2014)
There were cases with the same concept way before HTC came with it. Look at QuickWindow of LG and S View Flip Cover of Samsung for example.
Well, HTC implemented in a different interesting way, but they are just following industry trends, not making new ones.
25. NoFanboy (Posts: 222; Member since: 18 Nov 2013)
No way near the s view or LG cover lol. I'll give sam the credit for the flip cover though.
19. dontneedtoknow (Posts: 148; Member since: 17 Feb 2014)
I love how different this is but I love g2's clock which you can see! One of them looks so classy and elegant but I won't judge this until I get to see how it works. In terms of look, it looks pretty nice!
20. TechFreak123 (Posts: 83; Member since: 25 Feb 2014)
An interesting different approach to the S Flip Cover of Samsung and the QuickWindow case of LG.
28. sonisoe (Posts: 329; Member since: 06 May 2009)
htc deserves better than where they are now..
29. Leonis (Posts: 334; Member since: 08 Jan 2014)
Looks really cool for me. Unique and clever. For me a smartphone is not only a beautiful device. You have to take care of it too in order for it to work for years. So having a cover is a must for me. This phone is growing every week for me.
35. CreedFrancis (Posts: 21; Member since: 28 Feb 2014)
Personally i don't prefer flip cases cause they're pain to use when taking picture but gotta admit this is gorgeous!
36. esperanza (Posts: 46; Member since: 23 Mar 2013)
OMG HTC stole Alcatel's idea
39. techloverNYC (Posts: 405; Member since: 20 Nov 2012)
The all new one or wait for Samsung's F line?
40. 7Superman9 (Posts: 75; Member since: 17 Sep 2013)
It all depends. If htc's battery is the same size I would say htc. Unless their new camera is not up to par.
On the other hand, there would have to be some serious trimming in the Ui department for Samsung. Then there are those rumors that Samsung is going to charge a lot more for the f line. Which would be fine if the only difference between them and htc wasn't just a qhd screen.
Only time and a hands on demo will tell.
42. loveHEAVYMETAL (unregistered)
that cover seen directly copy from lg vu3 flip cover don't you think too?