AT&T promises family data plans sooner than you expect
0. phoneArena 08 May 2012, 07:54 posted on
AT&T’s chief executive Ralph de la Vega said that the carrier will bring home plans sooner than most people expect, a promise that comes after de la Vega…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. droiddomination (Posts: 203; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
i will be all over this one..say 4 g's for 40 month? something around there..shared of course.
2. nyamo (Posts: 274; Member since: 19 Mar 2011)
Interesting. Wonder the data vs price point will save much. Especially with families with 3 or 4 lines with data
3. -box- (Posts: 3949; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
$10/GB would be wonderful. That way, families who use mostly WiFi or little data usage can share 1GB across the group (instead of multiple 200 or 300MB plans), or for heavier-usage families who might need, say, 10GB for the group are paying $100 instead of $25 for 2GB each or $30 for 3GB each. Sounds good from a consumer level!
7. theoak (Posts: 324; Member since: 16 Nov 2011)
There is no way any carrier for a shared data plan is going to let you get access to data for $10. They are going to want to ding you for a little lower than what two plans would cost.
Shared of course.
9. theoak (Posts: 324; Member since: 16 Nov 2011)
To continue ...
Is for two devices.
Each additional device is another $10 more per month.
14. -box- (Posts: 3949; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
I know. Wishful thinking on my part. I have no expectations the carriers would offer anything that low
4. Sniggly (Posts: 7227; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Jury is out on this one. I'll believe it when I see it. However, I have some hope, as AT& T has to be aware of just how sick customers are of paying for individual plans that cost more.
5. Azure01 (Posts: 127; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
I wanna see how this works for the members with grandfathered plans who are on family plans with people who don't have grandfathered plans.
6. droiddomination (Posts: 203; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
what if nobody has a grandfather? that is going to mess it all up!
8. theoak (Posts: 324; Member since: 16 Nov 2011)
There is no way they are going to grandfather anyone.
AT&T CEO has said already that he regrets ever offering the unlimited plans in the beginning.
It is all about tiered data plans now.
11. Beholder88 (Posts: 81; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
I don't see them taking anything existing away. That would just piss people off more. If someone had an unlimited plan and then it was all of a sudden taken away and they were told they had to go with a family share data plan, what do you think would happen?
16. downphoenix (Posts: 2596; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
well AT&T customers are gluttons for punishment...
17. theoak (Posts: 324; Member since: 16 Nov 2011)
They won't take away your unlimited if you have it. If you want to switch to the new family shared plan however, they will make you drop it.
12. Jeradiah3 (Posts: 1011; Member since: 11 Feb 2010)
I wouldnt do it because my wife has the unltd plan and isnt changing that. im going to move up to the $30 3GB data plan soon and i like to have my own data plan.
13. android1234 (Posts: 106; Member since: 09 Feb 2010)
I will not change my line, grandfathered unlimited baby
15. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6950; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Thank goodness I still have my 2GB 15$ a month. I'll be piss if i'm able to loose it too since they idiot rep made me loose my unlimited data
20. networkdood (Posts: 6329; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
There is not and never has been a 15.00/mnth 2GB data smartphone plan - that price point was for 200MB.
18. networkdood (Posts: 6329; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
'The open question is how will AT&T subsidize handsets on family plans...'
Why is this relevant?
19. networkdood (Posts: 6329; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Just to let everyone know....when you switch to a family data plan - you will lose your grandfathered data plans.....
21. networkdood (Posts: 6329; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
My wife has 2GB/30.00 with Verizon, so does my cousin on my account - both iphones - I have 4GB/30.00. I would switch to a plan for 10GB/80.00, which what I suspect will be the price point.
23. hybris (Posts: 56; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
The only problem with that is, $80/10GB is already the highest tiered individual plan [when you exclude double the data promo]. There's no way Verizon will charge the same price for the same data while allowing 2 or more people to share it. The price per GB will definitely be going up for family share plans.
24. iSometimes (Posts: 47; Member since: 16 Feb 2011)
Keeping the unlimited HSPA+. Seems like just another way to take away the unlimited data from the grandfathered customers. They used the same "it should save customers money" slogan when they introduced tiered plans :P