AT&T launches its first two LTE enabled handsets
0. phoneArena 06 Nov 2011, 12:53 posted on
AT&T introduces its first two LTE enabled smartphones, the Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket and the HTC Vivid, ready to run over the LTE pipeline that the carrier has up in 9 cities; the remaining AT&T customers will be able to squeeze HSPA+ speeds out of the handsets...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. The_Miz (Posts: 1496; Member since: 06 Apr 2011)
First. AT&T is rolling out LTE faster than Sprint is rolling out their faux 4G.
2. scvzw2 (Posts: 32; Member since: 20 Jun 2010)
You do know Sprint stop expanding Wimax to start rolling out LTE in the beginning of 2012 right?
12. toaster (Posts: 114; Member since: 13 Sep 2011)
How exactly is LTE "faux"? It's as close to the 100Mbps 4G threshold as we have right now, and are going to get in the foreseeable future. It's also much faster than it's competition - HSPA+ (real faux-G?) and WiMAX (can't penetrate through buildings and doesn't have a large reach.)
4. bossmt_2 (Posts: 445; Member since: 13 Oct 2009)
AT&T just rolled LTE out to NYC only about 11 months behind Verizon, while rolling out an older LTE technology than Verizon.
13. omarc26 (Posts: 360; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Were did u get that at&t is using an older technology of LTE than Verizon ??? From what I heard its using the same type of LTE than Verizon which runs on the 700mhz band. Yea its much more behind than Verizon in terms of LTE coverage but I think they use the same type of LTE technology. If Verizon moves on to LTE advanced first then at&t will be behind even more. But for now I'm pretty sure they use the same type only advantage is Verizon has more LTE markets.
5. XiphiasGladius (Posts: 813; Member since: 21 Aug 2011)
Congrats to you for being the first dude to post. I can't fathom how happy you are. . .
10. The_Miz (Posts: 1496; Member since: 06 Apr 2011)
Happier than my first night of sex, brother. ;)
3. clevername (Posts: 1435; Member since: 11 Jul 2008)
God I hope the nexus primes lte variant comes to ATT.
6. Netolic (Posts: 144; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Im gettting the skyrocket today. I hope theres white
7. rockstarlive (Posts: 307; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
It would be a smart idea, to get the phone now, since it already has a LTE chip, just wait until your city gets AT&T LTE, which could be another 6-12 months.
Probably gonna hit 25-50 cities by summer 2012
8. belovedson (Posts: 832; Member since: 30 Nov 2010)
good job miz here comes higher premiums. didn't see that coming now did you
11. Mr.Mr.Upgrade (Posts: 460; Member since: 30 Aug 2011)
At&t is a joke LOL follow the leader
14. deadinside (Posts: 26; Member since: 31 Oct 2011)
I got the vivid for 100... Can't beat that
15. dodo1234 (Posts: 36; Member since: 06 Nov 2011)
Where did u get the Vivid for that price? was it individual or family? new or upgrade?
19. bigdawg23 (Posts: 421; Member since: 25 May 2011)
Select Zip codes have it for $99 and Skyrocket for $149. Type in 10019 New York city. it appears for at that price for that zip code.
Also Los Angeles does as well, however with LA you need to select the device to reveal the lower price.
20. deadinside (Posts: 26; Member since: 31 Oct 2011)
i got it on Att website, im part of a family plan and used my upgrade
16. Netolic (Posts: 144; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Just got my skyrocket. Bought it for 250 bucks at best buy.where did you buy the vivid for 100?
17. rockstarlive (Posts: 307; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Amazon Wireless got both for under $200.
like I said before, would be a smart move to get it now,
18. Forsaken77 (Posts: 552; Member since: 09 Jun 2011)
Which has the better processor? I know the HTC has the 8060 I believe. Does the Skyrocket have a newer version or older?
21. Jyakotu (Posts: 832; Member since: 12 Dec 2008)
Both look like excellent devices, especially since they're both AT&T's first LTE devices. Yeah, they might be behind Verizon when it comes to their LTE expansion, but at least the network has shown that it's capable of rolling out one. If I had to choose, I'd get the Vivid mainly because I've about had it with Samsung phones. But me, personally, I'll just wait until AT&T gets some devices with a keyboard. Gotta have my keyboard.