AT&T gets its high-end Android phone with the Samsung Captivate
As we have told you, the Galaxy S is destined to become available on all four major U.S. carriers. We recently reported that a leaked picture of the device shows that Sprint will be getting the "Pro" variant of the phone which features a physical QWERTY keyboard. Other pictures we've shown you indicate that the Galaxy S Pro could become Sprint's second 4G enabled handset later this summer. T-Mobile is expected to launch the Galaxy S, possibly as soon as July 21st. Samsung is holding a big press conference on June 29th and we might learn more about the device and its launch schedule at that time.
Samsung Captivate I897 Specifications
Samsung Galaxy S Pro Preliminary Specifications
Samsung Galaxy S Specifications | Hands-on
2. vzw fanman (Posts: 1974; Member since: 11 Dec 2008)
doesn't seem too high end to me. epic fail.
7. ILOVEIPHONE25 (unregistered)
how? explain please.....
9. spoonb1 (Posts: 77; Member since: 02 Jan 2010)
epic fail... oh what like the droid incredible is such an excellent phone with all its non-glory.. why be such a tool fanboy and epic fail anything that doesn't have vzw intitials stamped on it. what do you want it to do... float like a hoverboard from back to the future while sling-boxing all your crap-tastic 80's power ballads to your ipad connected to a verizon mifi cause you're 'cool like that' .... don't be such a tool... your just hating because now att will have some nice android options, oh and yeah--- the iphone 4! moto droid commercials, and your believe in the 'map for that' campaign... there's your epic fail...
11. vzw fanman (Posts: 1974; Member since: 11 Dec 2008)
this is why: http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/
2009/12/01/verizon-leads-wireless-service-rankings-while-att-lags/http://www.zagat.com/promo.asp x?pn=191http://www.jdpower.com/telecom /ratings/wireless-call-quality-ratings-(volume-1)/northeasthttp://gadgetress.freedomblogg ing.com/2009/12/01/att-ranks-lowest-for-service-in-oc-nation/28301/
12. vzw fanman (Posts: 1974; Member since: 11 Dec 2008)
the droid x is gonna stomp all over this phone. at&t is the most unsatisfied network in the whole country!
14. vzw fanman (Posts: 1974; Member since: 11 Dec 2008)
l=en&source=hp&q=http%3A%2F%2Freeves%2Fatt-dropped-calls-t-stock-verizon-vz-sprint-nextel-s-t-mobile-deutsche-telecom-dt.html&aq= f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai= www.investorplace.com%2Fexpert s%2Fjeff_
15. jd829 (Posts: 155; Member since: 24 Feb 2010)
Ok fagatron, we're talking about this phone here, not at&t as a company or a network. Just this phone. So how about you just go back to your room and beat off to a verizon coverage map, or whatever it is you fanboys do with your spare time, and let the rest of us talk about this awesome new device from samsung. Ok? Ps. Stop being such a tool, nobody likes you.
16. vzw fanman (Posts: 1974; Member since: 11 Dec 2008)
i never said it wasn't a nice phone. tool, is that the only word you know!
17. vzw fanman (Posts: 1974; Member since: 11 Dec 2008)
anybody who uses the word fagatron says a lot about you!
4. rtimi26 (Posts: 42; Member since: 16 Mar 2009)
Can't wait to see it in person or some sort of video unboxing, pictures don't give enough depth. I'm surprised we didn't get more info on that. Lets hope on june 29th in NY they will show for more carriers
5. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
go to att.com/captivate for more details - it has lots of features - but I like HTC and may just buy the ARIA and root it - the ARIA had great reviews comparing its speed to a 1GHZ processor and with it rooted I can download any app I want app store or not. I do not trust samsung but it is a nice phone - at least we now have 2 excellent ANDROID choices with AT&T - come AT&T, release a 3G/4G version of EVO and I will stay....
6. oddmanout (Posts: 442; Member since: 22 May 2009)
im liking this. my only concern is will there be enough in stock at launch or will it be just another droid incredible with the amoleds...
10. theGodpapa (Posts: 181; Member since: 15 Dec 2009)
looks nice, but I am wondering if this is still going to block you from downloading from unknown sources like that moto one does right now? that is a HUGE limitation for android users if I cant download from 3rd party sites.
13. vzw fanman (Posts: 1974; Member since: 11 Dec 2008)
yes all future at&t phones will block the unknown sources.
18. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
More than likely all ANDROID AT&T phones will block out of app store apps - no big deal - buy the phone you like and root - download the ROM that excluded the bloatware and get it network and software unlocked and then enjoy....
21. vzw fanman (Posts: 1974; Member since: 11 Dec 2008)
it takes time for android phones to be rooted. especially if they aren't HTC phones.
19. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
No different than any IPHONE model - with those only the app store apps can be downloaded - I hope with the ARIA and GALAXY we can download an app and choose the microSD card as a method of storing it.
20. vzw fanman (Posts: 1974; Member since: 11 Dec 2008)
you can store apps on an sd card. that is a feature of froyo 2.2. here's my droid:http://www.facebook.com/album.
22. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
thanks vz, but the newest AT&T phones are 2.1 - do you know if apps can be stored to the SD card - hopefully both phones are upgradeable to 2.2 - I read that the ARIA is really speedy for 600 MHZ processor.
23. vzw fanman (Posts: 1974; Member since: 11 Dec 2008)
with 2.1 apps cannot be stored to the sd card sorry.
24. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
DANG....that sucks - even if I can root it?? No??
26. vzw fanman (Posts: 1974; Member since: 11 Dec 2008)
i use to be rooted with 2.1 and there is no way to store apps on the sd card, sorry. and rooting may not be available for a couple months since it is samsung. but then again maybe a few weeks if the demand is high enough.
27. theGodpapa (Posts: 181; Member since: 15 Dec 2009)
I believe if you root you an download a app 2 sd program for your phone then, even if it is 2.1
28. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
The EVO 4G was rooted pretty quick and that is why I will start with the ARIA...
25. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
That is why I love my TILT I still - I can download any compatible file from any site, even before I unlocked it.
29. saneok (Posts: 78; Member since: 01 Oct 2009)
do you think itll be possible to somehow turn off the Samsung TouchFlo or whateva its called? Id much rather preffer vanilla android...
30. saneok (Posts: 78; Member since: 01 Oct 2009)
im not impressed by the phone's design too... samsung disappoints me again...
31. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
How should it be designed then? Looks fine to me - do you want the bulky look like a MOTO DROID or something like an ARIA - man, mayeb I should just wait for the first 2.2 HTC 1.2GHZ processor with 16GB onborad memory and 512 MB RAM 512 MB ROM.....ah well.
32. vzw fanman (Posts: 1974; Member since: 11 Dec 2008)
the moto droid is one of the thinnest slider keyboards available. it's definitely not bulky.
33. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Thanks for the correction - but I guess the squarish look throws me of - I would like to see a MOTO DROID designed like an HTC phone....MAN, I just love the fact that we are seeing a lot of choices now for each carrier, soon to be more for AT&T, as DELL is on the way - it just makes like better for us consumers and hackers.
34. rwolf1984 (Posts: 525; Member since: 06 Jun 2009)
nice...as long as i can throw on a hack of htc sense ui...nice phone
35. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Yeah, the ARIA comes with that and will be upgradeable to 2.2 - I will stick with a more reliable phone for now - HTC.
36. osanilevich (Posts: 278; Member since: 29 Sep 2009)
they took the galaxy S and completely ruined the design. I am praying for them to get the original. no front facing camera either which normally I wouldn't complain about but if the original can have it then why not this one?