AT&T Samsung Galaxy S III Jelly Bean update now on Samsung's Kies
0. phoneArena 03 Dec 2012, 22:03 posted on
AT&T and Verizon owners of the Samsung Galaxy S III have each been waiting for an update to Android 4.1, but now AT&T subscribers have the opportunity to manually update their handset using a connection to a PC that hooks you up to Samsung Kies...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
6. Nadr1212 (Posts: 741; Member since: 22 Sep 2012)
OMG!!! 4 my reading class, I had to draw a drawing 4 the character PA mentioned, which was Scrooge!!!!!!!
36. CellularNinja (Posts: 306; Member since: 27 Sep 2011)
I'm kinda new to the modding thing.. I have cyanogenmod 10.0. Which is jellybean. But can I still download this update even though I'm not in stock... How? Help would be greatly appreciated
47. PhoneAddiction (Posts: 79; Member since: 07 Nov 2012)
You can,you just have to download the stock image and flash it through Odin.
52. CellularNinja (Posts: 306; Member since: 27 Sep 2011)
Okay, I don't exactly know what that means but I appreciate the help. I remember using Odin to get CM10 but I sorta forget.
2. mas11 (Posts: 1034; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
I doubt Samsung really cares about whether or not you root your phone, it's the carriers that get upset. Imho
14. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
I am trying to remember of that was true for the captivate - I know on the DROID RAZR that updates do not go through if system apps were deleted or frozen.
3. Cha7520 (Posts: 221; Member since: 31 Oct 2010)
wow....so I guess that leaves me and my GS3 on Verizon, still waiting...lol.
4. mas11 (Posts: 1034; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
Yeah my gf has that same issue. I'm seriously starting to wonder if my og RAZR MAXX will get JB before her.
5. Cha7520 (Posts: 221; Member since: 31 Oct 2010)
The RAZR MAXX should be getting it this week I believe. I just can't believe that every other carrier has 4.1 Jelly Bean for the GS3, except Verizon. I had the Galaxy Nexus with Verizon last year and it never got an update. Oh well, its still an awesome phone!
9. mas11 (Posts: 1034; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
Not the original RAZR MAXX the HD is but I suspect we'll see the update sometime in Q1 of 2013
27. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 10516; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Knowing Motorola you may not ever see the update if it's anything like they did with their 2011 phones.
30. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5710; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
i can explain to you just how you're wrong about that but you wouldn't listen so i won't waste the time and just say "go away troll" instead sooo...go away troll.
i will start reporting you in the future if i see you trolling anymore.
32. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
JB for Sammy on VZW is available if you are interested in the Note II (Angel).
7. Sniggly (Posts: 7305; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Why the f**k can't AT&T push Jelly Bean out OTA like every other f**king carrier?
15. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Blame Samsung - just go to XDA for the update
17. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 10516; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Why can't you just stop being a baby and just download it yourself?
28. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5710; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
not really, KIES is a real pain in the ass, you'd know that if you used it.
60. JDBaughman (Posts: 5; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
Dude, YOU have clearly NEVER used Kies...?!? All you do is plug your phone in and click update?!? How hard is that?!
literally, that is ALL you do...
22. Sniggly (Posts: 7305; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
What, I'm critical of something regarding Android and you disagree with me?
It's an unnecessary complication with no justifiable reason to make customers go and download Kies just to get the update.
26. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 10516; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
More than what Motorola has done. At least there is an update available.
You're not being critical of Android, you're being critical of AT&T.
29. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5710; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
what is your deal? this is the SIII we're talking about here, Motorola's Razr HD equivalent is getting JB OTA right now and even if you want to do it manually it's as easy as slapping the update.zip onto the Internal Storage or the SD Card and then just prompting the update from recovery. you just go completely out of your way to troll on Motorola don't you? you're not even good at it. you should just quit.
57. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 10516; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
My deal is that I wasn't talking to you.
66. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5710; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
it's a public forum Mxy. i've been reporting you. either stop trolling or stay off of the public forum.
62. JDBaughman (Posts: 5; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
it's easier and faster from your computer... I downloaded the update, installed the new update, and rebooted my phone in about 12 minutes... that is WAY faster than OTA... now I understand that OTA is more convenient, but quit bitching. first everyone was bitching about NOT having it, and now that you do have it, your bitching about how you have to put it on your phone... just go stand in the corner. powdy pants dont get to be big boys.
34. Non_Sequitur (Posts: 1111; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
Kies is such a pain. I'm so glad that Sprint decided to do OTA updates for my Galaxy S2. I've tried to use Kies before, installing had issues, drivers had issues, and operation in general just isn't worth the hassle.
43. lzsbleach (Posts: 155; Member since: 20 May 2012)
I never had any problems with Kies but Samsung do need to work on it
38. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
I like how Mxy comments as though he or she or it knows what he or she or it is talking about....
20. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5710; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
AT&T is wayyy too okay with Samsung pushing updates through their trashy KIES software. i had a friend brick a Captivate Glide because of KIES. >>
61. JDBaughman (Posts: 5; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
your friend probably had a rooted phone too. just saying. I like how you called out someone like they were trolling but all I have read from you is a bunch of bs
12. samsungapple (Posts: 10; Member since: 30 Sep 2012)
wth?? my kies would just force close after it says download completed
11. DechyX (Posts: 127; Member since: 16 May 2011)
dammit PhoneAreana... I was hoping to go to bed early tonight... now I have to do this ;-)
13. husser94 (Posts: 24; Member since: 28 Mar 2011)
WONDER IF AT&T WILL EVENTUALLY DO AN OTA UPDATE....KIES IS LIKE PUTTING LIPSTICK ON A PIG...
16. christianqwerty (Posts: 467; Member since: 05 May 2011)
I just updated Kies and i have it connected to my computer, but i dont see anything about an update .. Anyone help?
18. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 10516; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
About time. Jellybean has been out for nearly half a year now.
39. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Hey troll -http://faqoid.com/advisor/andr
Jellybean has been out for a short time - since July.
Please speak about facts when commenting.
63. JDBaughman (Posts: 5; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
well, it is december and yea, he said "for almost half a year now"... by due process of elimination... and simple mathematics I have come to the conclusion that you are an idiot... 5 months is almost half a year... just saying...
24. Omarc07 (Posts: 391; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
ugh kies bricked my captivate glide too like the person above tht it had to go in the trashh cuz it was not fixable i have an s3 on att rite now and i dnt kno if i shud do this update :s i dnt want my s3 to end up in the trash like my captivate glyde -_-"""
35. Non_Sequitur (Posts: 1111; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
That's probably just an issue with the Captivate Glide, seeing as you both had the same issue.
Maybe you should try it, I don't know...
64. JDBaughman (Posts: 5; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
i updated using kies last night... just plug your s3 in and WAIT for it to pop up a software confirmation then hit continue. simple.
31. Charley1G (Posts: 1; Member since: 04 Dec 2012)
Thanks for the Tip. Mine is up& running 4.1. Working great!
33. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3103; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
Gotta have my SGS3 replaced as the loud speaker on it died. I can use headphones to music to music or watch a video and hear it but the loud speaker is gone. Oh well its covered on my warranty anyway and I have been loving my Note 2 very much. I did do the update to JB on my SGS3 and it is already much smoother and battery life also seems to have improved. Tho I still hate Kies but thats a given.
37. deesonw (Posts: 5; Member since: 04 Dec 2012)
Would you all quit crying about Kies it is so easy to do if you just follow directions..you gripe about when are we getting the update,and then when you do get the update you cry about how they offer it to be installed.what to you want them to baby sit you and install it for you? Come on grow up a little......
40. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
It can be a pain - but there are workarounds....ODIN is a great program for Samsung updates....
41. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3103; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
The problem with Kies is half the time it wont even recognize your samsung device when you hook it up to your pc, your pc has no problems but Kies will just keep spinning waiting for you to connect. It has caused a lot of hours of headaches. I got lucky this time woth my SGS3 and Note 2 and didnt have those problems but my god my SGS2 was a nightmare.
46. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5710; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
yeah, it seems like it works better with phones of this generation but if you have anything older than the SIII at all you're probably going to run into trouble at some point.
65. elorahd (Posts: 2; Member since: 08 Dec 2012)
Deesonw, would you then please come to my house and update my firmware, if you think Kies is so great?? I'm having the same problem that tons of other people are having. Kies downloads the firmware......then closes!! Time and again. This is all it does.
I moved to Android because I wanted a bigger screen......and then I learned about the upgrade process. What a joke! iOS has it all over Android in this department. And many other departments. This phone has been a nightmare. Battery sucks. Signal sucks. 4g doesn't work most of the time. I'm praying iPhone gets a bigger screen soon as I will be going back as quickly as possible.
44. lzsbleach (Posts: 155; Member since: 20 May 2012)
Now I have to wait for my phone to be fully charged; I dont mind it comming out on kies because when it comes out OTA it takes forever to hit your phone but they should do both. First kies then OTA
45. LaserTed (Posts: 9; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
Even after charging my phone to 100% it just tells me my battery is low and needs to be charged, then when I acknowledge it everything closes. Any suggestions?
48. f4jock (Posts: 3; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)
I have "Kies Air" on my S3 and I updated from Google Play. Is this the app I should use to do this? If so, what exactly do I do? Thanks.