AT&T CEO: it is "too early" to talk about charging for FaceTime over Cellular
0. phoneArena 17 Jul 2012, 23:49 posted on
Apparently, the rumors about charging for FaceTime over Cellular have reached AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson, who agreed to comment on them during his speech at the Fortune Brainstorm Tech conference in Aspen
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. yougotkilled1 (Posts: 167; Member since: 27 Apr 2011)
Mind as well Skype video call instead if this is true.
2. theCatholicRebel (Posts: 2; Member since: 15 Jul 2012)
We already pay for the data plan... why the hell should we pay more on top of that?
4. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
"why the hell should we pay more on top of that?"
Because AT&T is a pig? Got to cover the T-Mo break-up fee somehow.
3. codymws (Posts: 237; Member since: 17 Jun 2010)
I doubt Apple will let them charge for it. It would push people towards alternatives such as Skype or fring.
5. centuro1911 (Posts: 12; Member since: 24 Feb 2012)
Next they're going to charge you when you turn your phone on. And every time you pull it out of your pocket.
7. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
You neglected to mention the disconnect fee that will apply when you turn your phone off. It takes resources to manage all of those simultaneous disconnects.
6. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
You're already paying for the data so it's bs to double charge you basically
10. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4791; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
Exactly! It's just another BIG corporation raping their customers for no reason. So it's double data charge when doing Face Time. REAL SMOOTH AT&T, REAL SMOOTH! :-(
8. Aeires (unregistered)
"It's too early" is another way of saying "it's coming, get ready."
9. dcgore (Posts: 225; Member since: 24 Feb 2012)
I don't think this is going to fly, people will NOT let this happen. If i were at&t i'd be smart and say, think of how many people will go over their data limit by using facetime. Most likely bringing more money in than by charging a fee and people opting for going to starbucks or something to get wifi.
11. aikonix (Posts: 60; Member since: 08 Apr 2012)
so all these people who are saying "dont do it" or "we already pay for data!!" like seriously?!? a business will do what people demand and put a pricetag on that and people will pay. Mobile Hotspot for example, the phone comes with it as a default feature, the carriers see it as a money maker and slap a price tag on it and also as consumers dont realize that u can just go to the playstore and download Foxfi for free w/ NO ROOTING and still wireless tether for free! Carriers WILL charge a fee to run facetime over 3g/4g as it is made for a wifi feature.