A rumour states Verizon is set to announce and launch the first LTE iPhone right after Christmas
First of all, the rumour states that the Verizon iPhone 4 has been ready for quite some time and Verizon even held a management training for iPhone sales last week. The only reason the device is not already released is because AT&T wants to maximize its iPhone 4 Christmas sales and that's why the Verizon iPhone 4 is set to be announced and launched "right after Christmas." Somewhat unsurprisingly, Big Red is set to market the handset as "the only LTE iPhone", while security measures to keep this info away from the public are rumoured to be draconian.
Here is the original leak:
- Verizon held management training for iPhone sales last week;
- Verizon had functioning iPhones (LTE-capable) in management hands for the training sessions;
- The formal announcement of the iPhones Verizon debut is coming right after Christmas; "Apparently ATT's final demand so as to maximize ATT's Christmas iPhone sales"
- The Verizon iPhone will be immediately available upon formal announcement;
- Device has been "100% cooked for quite a while" and already shipping in bulk to Verizon warehouses;
- The Verizon iPhone is not being shipped to any 3rd-party retailers in an effort to control leaks;
- Verizon agreed to take 100% responsibility for security, so all the devices will be in their hands until the official announcement date, and they will then distribute thru channels in massive manner (hence early stockpiling);
- The new iPhone is an LTE device and that fact - the only "LTE iPhone," exclusive to Verizon - will be the main marketing theme; i.e. "For the new '4G' (cough) verizon network" that Verizon has already started promoting;
- As rollout of LTE not actually widepsread, Verizon iPhone will have multi-band chip backward compatibility with regular CDMA;
- iPhone 5 was planned to debut in summer as LTE-only, for all contracted carriers, but the clock is ticking and nobody thinks either Verizon or AT&T can get to critical mass to offer an LTE-only version;
- Steve Jobs is said to be upset that carriers cannot seem to get their LTE act together more quickly;
- Apple is "helping" U.S. carriers (money?) to build out LTE more quickly.
source: MacDailyNews via RedmondPie
1. testman22 posted on 14 Dec 2010, 06:22 13
I heard from a very good source the iphone is being released by verizon TOMORROW! Apparently steve jobs is going to ride a unicorn into an invisible verizon warehouse (created by witches and warlocks of course), and hand deliver them. The best part, it wont be a phone for 4g LTE, its actually a 5G phone with speeds 100 times faster than LTE!
I'll even leak the spec sheet!
4 inch screen
5 mp front facing camera
15 mp rear camera
SUPER advanced amoled 3-d display
128 GB internal memory
2.6 ghz dual core processor
Start lining up in front of stores now people if you want a chance at picking one up tomorrow!
19. Gawain posted on 14 Dec 2010, 11:58 0
LMFAO! I salute you sir for one of the funniest posts I've read here in a long, long time. *applause*
51. Ha Ha (unregistered) posted on 15 Dec 2010, 09:10 0
I was as with you all the way until you held back on the prcessor! Lol
Save this post in a time capsule for 10 years, then see how close we are to it...!
Do you think we will pass it?
I think so... Either that or the Mayans will return in their spaceship to destroy the world in 2 years...lol
WOW- you took an iphone post and mentioned wiches, warlocks, and unicorns (actually not surprising!), then I took it and included the mayans and apocalypse!!!
They should just launch this phone already so we can get on with our lives!
2. BS (unregistered) posted on 14 Dec 2010, 06:26 2
How can you post this junk? Also, grammatical error..."that better be true". The quotation should be on the outside of the period.
55. Alex (unregistered) posted on 23 Dec 2010, 06:27 0
This isn't grammar school you tool. Wait, calling you a tool would imply that your useful, and calling you stupid would be an insult to stupid people. I'll just say that no one cares what you think or say. You are so off topic. Now STFU!!!!
56. Jeffashy (unregistered) posted on 27 Dec 2010, 13:05 0
Not really a gramatical error. Period and comma placement go inside the quotation marks, the only punctuation marks that might sometimes be outside the quotations are question marks and exclamation points.
But this isn't grammar school, and I'm probably gonna upgrade from my Blackberry to a Droid anyway, regardless of the iPhone release.
3. ecml posted on 14 Dec 2010, 06:26 2
I think it's a little too early for a LTE iPhone to be released.
21. ecml posted on 14 Dec 2010, 12:22 0
So I am guessing you really think the iPhone is coming to Verizon by the end of the year?
37. TKFox007 posted on 14 Dec 2010, 18:08 1
I'll believe it when I see it
16. mac man man man (unregistered) posted on 14 Dec 2010, 10:34 0
the article states there is also a CDMA chip in the phone so that it will run on the 3G network were the 4G is not available.
4. doubleD posted on 14 Dec 2010, 06:38 3
Stop with the Verizon iPhone rumors already. You've cried wolf too many times. All credibility to any such rumor was lost long ago.
5. santa (unregistered) posted on 14 Dec 2010, 06:42 3
Reporting has gone down the shtter here recently... new staff?
6. Tre-Nitty posted on 14 Dec 2010, 06:50 4
At this point "who cares". I like the iphone 4, I think it's probably the best all-around smartphone out right now. The rumors are just ridiculous and stupid now. If it's coming out for Big Red then great. If not, no biggie in my humble opinion. Just announce it already so people can make a decision on what they want to do. I do think the iphone would severly hurt android sales on Verizon. At the same time, AT&T would probably look into getting some serious android phones, which would be great for me since i'm with AT&T.
8. hawk62 posted on 14 Dec 2010, 07:46 0
I waited almost 2 years now for a vz iphone. During that time vz has gone so far down hill that i have canceled everything i have with them. Please please please get the vz iphone so people can complain about it and blame vz. Vz wants their own app store, vz wants controll of their phones, apple wont let that happen. Plus all the droid makers will get mad at vz over this. I am waiting for a vz iphone.
9. uofmrules posted on 14 Dec 2010, 08:07 3
What ever happened to research?? I could write you an email and say I work for Apple. Then tell you our little dirty secret about Verizon getting the iPhone next week. You would have an article written in 5 minutes. Phonearena is just a bunch of morons who couldn't post a legit article if their life depended on it.
10. protozeloz posted on 14 Dec 2010, 08:20 4
I'm tempted to believe this is some plot to reduce VZ sales a bit, when users expect something will come they wont buy It, during this times if Billy (a Verizon customer that loves the big red but wants an iPhone) gets a "IOU" letter from Santa VZ and Apple telling him he will get his "dream phone" just right after the hollydays wont he be tempted to wait before getting into a contract again? and what happens when Billy realizes Santa does not exist? boom there goes some other phone company...
now a lie told a million times will eventually become true...
will Verizon eventually bring the iPhone?
yes it may if it wants to get iPhone customers from AT&T, just as any other company would like to get the iPhone, just as any company would like to see a "Droid" on its phone lines...
30. maccmill posted on 14 Dec 2010, 14:48 0
yeah, god knows my commission looks like shit this month between people holding out for either the iphone or for the 4g phones to launch. Verizon is eating its own sales people right now.
36. bigredmac (unregistered) posted on 14 Dec 2010, 17:37 0
Yes I have to agree. My commission is terrible as well. I don't even care anymore I was excited at first now this is just hurting my paycheck.
39. protozeloz posted on 14 Dec 2010, 18:16 0
I bet is a pain at least for retailers to have customers coming by and looking at your stuff just to tell you "ohh I've heard there will be dual core or there will be an iPhone in vz next few days so I'm not interested"
40. uofmrules posted on 14 Dec 2010, 18:18 0
Just have to sell better....Droid out sells iphone, and even when 4g phones come most areas wont have 4g. Not hard.
11. yellowboy74 posted on 14 Dec 2010, 09:04 4
I just found a Verizon LTE iphone in a sports bar last night. Phonearena give me a call if u want pics. My number is 702-777-9311.
12. Gcombs (unregistered) posted on 14 Dec 2010, 09:23 1
How about posting a comformation from Steve Jobs or Verizon Ceo stating that the Iphone is coming to the carrier or not. Enough with the rumors. I do believe its coming to the carrier but its time for the 2 companies to deliver the truth about the matter.
13. Slammer posted on 14 Dec 2010, 09:29 1
Two things come to mind when articles such as this are placed in consistent sequential order.
1) Individuals running forums like this, are too involved with their love of the iphone, that they will report on ANY or even create their own rumors having to do with the iPhone. Stop with sharing your wishes with everyone else that may have different opinions and start reporting on concrete evidence.
2) If you people of the media really want a VZW iPhone bad enough, leave ATT and the iPhone behind. This will convey to Steve Jobs that: "We better get our product on another network ASAP"
Doesn't this make better sense than trying to sheeple market deceit? Doesn't this make better sense than trying to place false impressions on an already confusing industry?
If you're unhappy with ATT enough to push for a VZW iPhone, leave and make a stand for God's sake.
What ever happened to unbiased reporting and truth in verbatim?
That is why I only rely on one particular phone forum for learning and news. They don't report until truth is proven. Unlike this one. You have a great layout design. Don't fragment it with rhetoric.
If this rumor is true, great. But why rush something that is always false until proven true?
15. Chet Stevens (unregistered) posted on 14 Dec 2010, 10:15 0
Mr. Test man, what proof do you have that all this will be available tomorrow on this so called iphone 5?
17. RS (unregistered) posted on 14 Dec 2010, 10:56 1
That rumor's almost laughably bad. It pretty much reads like some random forum fanboy wrote it.
IF the VZW iPhone were coming any time soon we would have been seeing FAR more substantial leaks (moreso than we have been) as it would have been in Apple's best interest to try to kneecap Android and other competitors holiday sales. Their relationship and sales with AT&T would not be hampered NEAR as much as VZW's Android sales might be and their official relationship with AT&T would not keep them from going behind their back and unofficially leaking the details to the MASSIVE network of rumor/tech sites eager to see this rumor come to fruition.
18. misteranderson (unregistered) posted on 14 Dec 2010, 11:38 1
Surpised I don't see "The Onion" as the source for this article.
20. vzwbarnegat (unregistered) posted on 14 Dec 2010, 12:15 1
One glaring thing that I see wrong over everything else, is that they claim that 3rd party wont get the iphone. verizon isnt that stupid. they diddnt do that with any of the droids, why would they do that to the iphone?
22. misteranderson (unregistered) posted on 14 Dec 2010, 12:36 0
Well At&t 3rd party dealers got the shaft for the longest time when it came to the iPhone. I think it's going to be Apple's decisions, not Verizon's. Just another thing for the two company's to clash on.
26. Cheecherdogg posted on 14 Dec 2010, 13:46 0
Because Motorola was a dying company. Seriously, before DROID, Motorola was up for sale. That was there last chance phone. They couldn't afford to keep it under wraps, they actually needed the promotion. Iphone makes more money by holding out for Christmas with AT&T. It's supposed to be absolutely secret so as to not violate the contracts between AT&T and Apple.
23. Thump3rDX17 posted on 14 Dec 2010, 12:44 1
well we'll see i suppose, it'd be great if this were true though, the Verizon iPhone would be a great gift for my grandma. :P
25. protozeloz posted on 14 Dec 2010, 13:20 0
finally found someone with some phone profile :D
how is your experience with the Droid 2? 'm planing on getting the "Global" to change my milestone, and i think the Droid 2 could be a great comparison of what I'm supposed to expect...
52. Thump3rDX17 posted on 15 Dec 2010, 17:40 0
well i think the version of Blur found on the Droid 2, X and Pro will be the easiest transition from Stock Android you can currently make i'd say. all of the Android phones i've had came with Blur and after seeing other interfaces i couldn't imagine myself without it. if i HAD to go any other way it'd be for a stock experience. now as far as the Droid 2 is concerned, it's a great phone and i'm sure the Global will be even greater with that extra 200mhz to make it even more stable (totally reeking of jealousy about that.) and the keyboard improvements really make all the difference from the one on the original Droid/Milestone.
24. rstar (unregistered) posted on 14 Dec 2010, 12:53 1
Im loving the android froyo. Flash 10.1, Swype, customization, etc...I've had the iphone for so long, thought it was the best thing around. I recently received the droid pro from work, now I find iOS boring compared to froyo.
27. Viault No.365 (unregistered) posted on 14 Dec 2010, 14:16 0
Who cares. Blackberry and Droid is where it's at right now.
29. Droid X Doug (unregistered) posted on 14 Dec 2010, 14:45 0
Has AT&T paid phonearena.com to publish this article? AT&T certainly would benefit from depressing Verizon's sales during the holidays.
But LTE on the iPhone 4? Anything is possible, although not in profile for Steve. Steve hasn't done too well out on the bleeding edge of technology (see grip of death issue for the iPhone 4). There is a present issue with LTE stepping down to 3G in the absence of LTE coverage that involves something on the order of a 2 minute delay for the change to be registered with the handset. Steve would go absolutely batsh*t over a 2 minute delay. Remember, the original iPhone only had EDGE when even BlackBerry handsets had EVDO.... I don't see LTE on the iPhone 4 (or 5, for that matter) until speed negotiation is seamless.
31. skymitch89 posted on 14 Dec 2010, 15:16 0
"Right after Christmas"? I would think that they would wait until CES in January to announce and release an LTE compatible iPhone 4 on Verizon considering CES starts 12 days after Christmas. Or maybe their "right after Christmas" is at CES 2011?
As for an all LTE iPhone, I would say that Apple is getting a bit ahead of them selves for this one. Maybe in 2012 or even 2013 but not in 2011.
34. Dubroq (unregistered) posted on 14 Dec 2010, 17:08 0
There is no way this is true. Verizon only has 32 markets built for LTE and its minimal build out right now. No phones are to be released with LTe until 2nd quarter 2011 which is MArch at the earliest. Also, AT&T signed a 5 year exclusive deal in 2007 for any Apple iPhone products. That's puts a release date well into 2012 at the very latest. Now, Apple could back up a dump truck full of money to buy themselves out of the contract, but why would AT&T accept it? Do you think a Droid X on AT&T would stem the tide of iPhone users jumping that sinking ship? I don't think so.
35. rw@bigred (unregistered) posted on 14 Dec 2010, 17:37 0
OK enough, I right now have a iphone 4g in my hands since we just left the San diego meeting 2 hours ago,, no it' 3.8" with lte -4 to go- 8meg rear and 3.2 front...phone preview on scoop on Dec 23rd
43. FTFUNVZDUDE (unregistered) posted on 14 Dec 2010, 20:54 0
Well my commission is going out of control with the holidays and guess what..... NO IPHONE!!!!!! Guess I dont just go back behind the counter when a customer throws out an objection....
All you have to do is show consumer reports, and show the customers that you can do a lot of the same things on a MUCH BETTER NETWORK.
Then again, our store is usually around a 70% smartphone take rate....SUCK IT IPHONE!!!
44. Jim Davis (unregistered) posted on 14 Dec 2010, 20:56 0
Does verizon plan to put out a 4g droid phone? If I buy a 3g Droid 2 will it be able to access the verizon 4g network?
45. FTFUNVZDUDE (unregistered) posted on 14 Dec 2010, 21:02 0
Yes Verizon will eventually have a 4G Android device......No a 3G phone will not be compatible with 4G. However, when the 4G phones are released, they will be backwards compatible and will be able to run off both the 3G and 4G networks in case you travel somewhere that 4G is not available.
46. FTFUNVZDUDE (unregistered) posted on 14 Dec 2010, 21:04 0
And just FYI, 4G is being used strictly for MBB now. It will still be a little while before a 4G handset is released....unless of course these terrible iPhone rumors are true..... but then again, anyone who keeps up with the cellular industry will know that this has been "in the works" for a few years now
47. rave264 (unregistered) posted on 14 Dec 2010, 21:06 0
These comments are all amusing to me. But, I agree that if there is going to be an iPhone for vw right after Christmas, we would have gotten more details by now.
48. confused salesmen (unregistered) posted on 14 Dec 2010, 23:01 0
can i get a Palm phone
49. MR_Rollin (unregistered) posted on 15 Dec 2010, 00:01 0
I heard that Steve Jobs owns a PC and he plans on flying a broomstick to a secret Verizon warehouse to ship out Windows 7 iPhones...
50. mr. droid posted on 15 Dec 2010, 01:15 1
get a damn iPod touch and call it a day. its better than an iPhone anyways. does all the same things as long as you have a wifi connection. there you go!
53. dontknow (unregistered) posted on 17 Dec 2010, 21:26 0
mr.droid, the ipod touch is missing one vital thing that the iphone has. CALLING. you cant CALL on a ipod.
54. pra4snw (unregistered) posted on 18 Dec 2010, 10:10 0
Based on BigRed's deals right now, this rumor sounds real.
They've just blown out the Droid II and replaced it with the Droid II Global, which will be their world phone solution. They're blowing out the Droid X's with BOGO, which would be the biggest competitor to an iPhone offering.
I am going to jump on an X right now. Ive never been a fan of overpaying for something because it has a fruity logo on it.