A note about retina displays and the iPhone 5
1. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
I think Apple would increase their resolution before going with a bigger screen
8. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3042; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
I am hoping with all these 720p displays rumored to be coming out soon that Apple will indeed increase their screen resolution to counter them. And with that increase resolution, hopefully an increase in screen size as well.
15. XiphiasGladius (Posts: 804; Member since: 21 Aug 2011)
I think its obvious that apple will do the same in the iphone5, even if their screen reaches the 4' area I still believe the pixel density will either be equal or higher than the iphone4, its kinda their signature.
18. ayephoner (Posts: 837; Member since: 09 Jun 2009)
if they increase resolution, wont devs have to code for that? the only reason i can think of that they dont maintain ppi is to make all current apps compatable.
and if they do stick with the current resolution, they will surely redefine retina display. something about how far you hold the phone or something. they'll figure out how to hold on to their marketing scheme
19. remixfa (Posts: 14169; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
the devs will have to code in and check compatibility for the new screen resolution. Im pretty sure thats why they didnt do it this time.. making sure 400k apps are compatible is going to be a mess. At some point they have to bite the bullet as 3.5 inches just isnt cutting it anymore as noted by "what did you want the most" articles.. they all want a bigger screen.
They could have probably expanded it to 3.7 inches and gotten away with it, but anything higher is going to be a new resolution.
24. ayephoner (Posts: 837; Member since: 09 Jun 2009)
3.7 just wouldnt be worth it (i dont think).
they really need to take the leap, decrease bezel and increase screen size/resolution.
21. iKingTrust (banned) (Posts: 716; Member since: 27 Jul 2011)
i agree Taco. But i dont want a 4" screen.
2. tomast (Posts: 50; Member since: 16 Oct 2011)
Didn't LG make an HD display?? So why cant apple use that on the iphone 5? Even if LG doesn't let them Samsung and sharp all ready have HD displays so the technology is out there so the question is whats stopping Apple from making there own?
3. Audelio13 (Posts: 15; Member since: 15 Jul 2011)
Did you know that if you were to be 15 feet away from you 1080P hdtv while looking directly at it, it would have more ppi than iPhone's "retina display"?!
14. AppleConspiracy (Posts: 636; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Hey, PPI means "pixels per inch". Inch has the same size on every distance! There is no PPI variable on some distance, despite the fact that it does make a difference to viewer.
17. ayephoner (Posts: 837; Member since: 09 Jun 2009)
true. the pixel density would be based on screen size, not distance of the viewer.
28. Audelio13 (Posts: 15; Member since: 15 Jul 2011)
So if I'm really close to that HDTV, then the pixel density at the distance is still true? Especially considering our field of vision, which varies...? The iPhone's "retina display" is considered that only if it's about 3 feet from your face.
29. ayephoner (Posts: 837; Member since: 09 Jun 2009)
pixel density is a quality of the screen (based on screen size and resolution). there might be a measure of perceived pixel density (not that i know of), but a person's ablity to see the pixels does not change whether they are there or not.
5. Sackboy117 (Posts: 178; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
I wish for a phone that is rechargeable by sunlight . . .
11. bossmt_2 (Posts: 437; Member since: 13 Oct 2009)
Even if you keep the main recharge system, having a support of solar would be great. But it would make the phone much larger.
12. Kallistos (Posts: 24; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
6. toaster (Posts: 114; Member since: 13 Sep 2011)
The 4S came out LITERALLY 3 days ago, and already we've come full circle with the iP5 rumors...
7. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3042; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
lol that's how it works at cell phone websites. Hell there were already iphone 5 rumors before they even announced the 4S.
23. iKingTrust (banned) (Posts: 716; Member since: 27 Jul 2011)
i agree. Not really feeling the fact that these rumors are out.
The funny part is i am already thinking about buying this phone
9. tomast (Posts: 50; Member since: 16 Oct 2011)
I bet you there making the SGS IV and iphone 6 as we speak lol.
10. Phullofphil (Posts: 801; Member since: 10 Feb 2009)
I think with the train display on the samsung prime that a big a resolution on a bigger displays definitely gonna happen. Or is actually gonna be possible for sure
20. arcq12 (Posts: 733; Member since: 13 Oct 2011)
This is non sensical. Why are they already making speculations about the next gen iPhone, couple weeks after the 4s was announced? Total bullS..
27. DROIDX0430 (Posts: 412; Member since: 24 Nov 2010)
Problem here is nobody knows nada!!!!!. ONLY SPECULATION!!!
30. downphoenix (Posts: 2416; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
Whats the point of a screen resolution higher than the human eye can see? Are they trying to market the phone for robots or something?