A more affordable 8GB iPhone 5c might land on March 18th, carrier documents reveal
0. phoneArena 17 Mar 2014, 09:12 posted on
A leaked document from the German carrier O2, reveals that Cupertino plans to unveil an 8 GB version of the iPhone 5c on March 18th. This one will likely be the cheapest new iPhone you can buy, so it might spur the allegedly flagging sales of Apple's 5c experiment...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
18. sgodsell (Posts: 2653; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)
When you can buy a moto g for a less, but you are getting much more with the moto g. Yes the camera is only 5 mp, but what are you expecting for $179 off contract. Some places you can get it for $99. There is even an built in FM radio, USB otg, water resistant, slow motion video capture, Quad core 1.2 ghz CPU, 1280x720 4.5" display, all of which the ipod touch does not have. The only reason anyone would still want an ipod touch is if you are heavily invested in Apples iTunes.
If you want a 16gb version then you can pay just $20 more.
24. kshell1 (Posts: 1143; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
I love my Moto G. Its amazing for the price. Since I only have the 8gb I just use pandora for music (which takes up most) and use the rest for apps, pics, etc
42. sgodsell (Posts: 2653; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)
You could buy from Amazon a WiFi storage device like the Sandisk Connect for $50. This will allow you to use microsd cards and it can work on multiple platforms as well (Android, iOS, Windows). This Sandisk Connect is so small that you can attach it to your key chain, or just leave it in your pocket. That way you can carry all your music, movies and videos with you. Future proof your data and files.
27. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4766; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
The Apple iPhone 5c is 2013's biggest FAIL...
28. kshell1 (Posts: 1143; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
Nothing but an iphone 5 in colorful, plastic packaging, plastic in my eyes is good though, never had a broken phone made of plastic.
44. corporateJP (Posts: 2431; Member since: 28 Nov 2009)
As others have said, you could get a Moto G or a Nokia 520 for about 1/5 of the price and make out better, unless, as said, you are heavily invested in iTunes, then you can enjoy the pricey Apple umbilical cord you now have permanently attached to you.
7. Felix_Gatto (Posts: 839; Member since: 03 Jul 2013)
Especially if there's not any expandable storage.
21. sgodsell (Posts: 2653; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)
But for both Apple and Android expandable storage is really not a problem, especially when there is WiFi storage options out there. Just look at Sandisk Connect. You can get it for $50 and you can attach it to your key chain or just put it in your pocket, purse, or briefcase. Not to mention that it supports multiple platforms and if the you want to change the micro sd card storage that it comes with, then take it out and put in another one. Well worth the money. You should check them out on Amazon.
15. alterecho (Posts: 1097; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
Exactly. Apple seems to be getting more extortionate, with the price bump on extra memory.
34. JewBakaUCFG (Posts: 173; Member since: 25 Sep 2012)
Like George Washington, I cannot tell a lie. I LOLed at this.
3. PorkyBurger (Posts: 585; Member since: 18 May 2013)
HUEHUEHUE. 8GB iPhone in 2014? How about DROP DOWN THE PRICE ON 5C ALREADY. =.=
43. a_merryman (Posts: 749; Member since: 14 Dec 2011)
Considering how poorly the 5C is selling, it would be pretty hard for them to lose more money on it than they are losing now. If they dropped the 16GB down to $449 I'm sure they would sell out of their inventory and still be making good profits, it is just Apple being stupid.
4. AfterShock (Posts: 3698; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
Face it Apple.
You made a bad pie an no one wants it, not even the dog.
The 5c is up against major competition in that price range an just doesn't cut it other then being a rip off.
Its a joke.
45. corporateJP (Posts: 2431; Member since: 28 Nov 2009)
$300 tops, plus non-contract folks like myself would eat it up.
9. trickster_qc (Posts: 101; Member since: 18 Jun 2013)
following Apple's pricing, the 8GB 5C should sell for just 449$.
that sounds like a suck good deal.
10. Reeyawn (Posts: 65; Member since: 21 Apr 2013)
8Gb? Seriously? Releasing anything, especially a Smartphone, with 8gb in 2014 should be considered a crime. Lmao way to go to justify it as "affordable"..
11. frustyak (Posts: 197; Member since: 08 Mar 2010)
How exactly would a new 8GB 5C help clean out the 3 million existing 16 and 32 GB 5C's collecting dust in inventory?
30. Martin_Cooper (Posts: 1298; Member since: 30 Jul 2013)
Thy are like other premium brands like louis vuitton which burns down any stock left eating the dust. I guess they will make a huge ship with the left overs 5C and sail with it throwing more 5C at dolphins while sleeping on 5C made beds, decks and what so ever.
17. datphoneguy (Posts: 154; Member since: 15 Sep 2013)
More like $299 for 8GB.
Seriously, this is 1.5 year technology with minimal storage. Even $299 is generous, IMO.
13. chocowii (Posts: 396; Member since: 30 Jan 2014)
Ill buy if its running iOS6. Is it just me that still wanted iOS6?
16. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10208; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I saw a iPhone 5 running 6.1 on Craigslist yesterday. I was really tempted to buy it.
36. chocowii (Posts: 396; Member since: 30 Jan 2014)
Buy it by all means necessary. Apple failed iOS7 bigtime. Transition animations really slowed down the os experience. Plus the white gui really hurts in the eye at night and uhhh, sunlight legibility sucks. I like Apple products but this time they failed me at iOS7.
As have I saw, prices of iPhone 5 running iOS 6 is higher than those who run version sevens..
47. Neo_Huang (Posts: 1067; Member since: 06 Dec 2013)
My dad has a 16 GB iPhone 4 running 4.2.6...how much do you want?
14. fzacek (Posts: 2486; Member since: 26 Jan 2014)
You can't have an 8GB phone without expandable memory...
31. Martin_Cooper (Posts: 1298; Member since: 30 Jul 2013)
Moto G will disagree with you, by the way NOT all people are tech geeks like you and me, we actually are the minority. Most people are fine with 5-10 apps, few games, some photos and music, which wont fill 3-4 GB's.
46. corporateJP (Posts: 2431; Member since: 28 Nov 2009)
Yeah, but most people that aren't tech geeks are still looking for a removable battery beyond the expandable memory.
This becomes an obstacle sometimes when trying to explain to consumers why one phone is better than another, especially to some older folks.
20. axllebeer (Posts: 270; Member since: 05 Apr 2011)
Memory doesn't cost that much. I see no way this will sell or save them $. Unless they want to recall all iPhone 5c's and rip them apart, replace the memory chip, then send them all back out on the market at a slightly lower cost & 1/2 the memory while the $ spent on that process would exceed the $ saved.
Wait, I've lost my mind.
32. Martin_Cooper (Posts: 1298; Member since: 30 Jul 2013)
Phone companies are same as car companies. They make tons of money by pricing up extra storage like car companies do with their extras that they charge 10-20 times more than what they are worth.
22. PBXtech (Posts: 1032; Member since: 21 Oct 2013)
It will still be overpriced and how many carriers would even order it?
23. kanagadeepan (Posts: 823; Member since: 24 Jan 2012)
How about 512KB iPhone5C for 199$ off contract??? I am sure, many iPhone fans will go for it...
29. Taters (Posts: 6327; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Lol they can't even lower the price of the iPhone 5C without taking something from the the consumer , in this case ram. Why do people even support these guys again?
33. Martin_Cooper (Posts: 1298; Member since: 30 Jul 2013)
When they have so much stock left that it gets scary, they will just price it lower and throw it at countries like India and China.
35. cai4651 (Posts: 26; Member since: 09 Mar 2014)
Meanwhile...S5 scores an Awesome 12:43 hs of continuous video . x264 at max bright...
37. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3686; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
I still see some people bought iphone 5c. Lol these people are really insane minded, die hard fruit fans and importantly dumb.
38. cornerofthemoon (Posts: 587; Member since: 20 Apr 2010)
8gb is absurd in 2014. It will still be way overpriced. Pity since it is a decent phone.
40. GrndsKeeprWillie (Posts: 14; Member since: 15 Jul 2013)
I use an iPhone but 8gb?? What does this leave you with for storage? 4gb??
Maybe it'll be exclusively an iCloudPhone!! Amazingly sad in 2014.
This is more like a feature phone.. not smart
41. GrndsKeeprWillie (Posts: 14; Member since: 15 Jul 2013)
Is storage really the only way to save on build cost with smartphones?
Just leave a tiny little slot in the side and I'll bring all my own storage. You don't even have to load iOs on it. I'll do it myself. Jeez! That should save some big $$$
48. techperson211 (Posts: 1023; Member since: 27 Feb 2014)
8gb? Then what 4gb of user available ? Come on!!! Then here's the good part it's worth $449 just $100 diff from 16gb. And there reasoning is they don't made objects poorly. Rip off!!!