A giant phablet or a small tablet? The Sony Xperia Z Ultra gets sized up against the 2013 Nexus 7
With smartphone diagonals continuing to soar to ever greater heights, we may soon have to calibrate our understanding of what exactly classifies as a phablet, and what sets it apart from a smaller tablet. This is particularly valid with Sony's 6.44-inch device, the Xperia Z Ultra, but it's far from the only contender in the category of mega phablets. Samsung's Galaxy Mega 6.3 measures in at just as impressive 6.3-inches, while Huawei's Ascend Mate is sporting a more “frugal” 6.1-inch diagonal.
Unlike the rest of the world, some parts of the globe (like Hong Kong) have already seen the official launch of the Xperia Z Ultra. As such, they've been able to pit the mammoth from Sony with a review unit of the 2013 Nexus 7.
So how close is the Sony Xperia Z Ultra to a tablet? Dangerously close, as the nice folks behind RingHK have demonstrated for us. But don't just take our word for it – make haste and see it for yourself below!
Sony Xperia Z Ultra vs 2013 Nexus 7 Fullscreen
More popular slideshows
iOS 7 release date and time are today (Sep 18), get ready to update!
18 Sep 2013, 04:00
Spring chickens: Samsung Galaxy S5 vs Sony Xperia Z2 comparison preview
26 Feb 2014, 09:37
Samsung Galaxy S5: all you need to know
24 Feb 2014, 17:06
Samsung Galaxy S5 rumor round-up: release date, price and specs
12 Feb 2014, 08:58
Sony Xperia Z2 display analyzed: large color gamut, excellent color accuracy
28 Feb 2014, 05:29
Sony Xperia Z Ultra vs 2013 Nexus 7
3. XperiaFanZone (Posts: 722; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
You seem insecure about the attention the ZUltra is getting.
14. sid07desai (Posts: 237; Member since: 03 May 2012)
Its only momentary attention kiddo. Just wait till Sept 4th and I'm sure nobody will even remember the ultra. #Note3FTW
20. XperiaFanZone (Posts: 722; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
whether it's a momentary or a long term attention, the user shows signs of insecurity. and that product you have named after the hashtag is irrelevant.
29. xperiaDROID (Posts: 4640; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Note 3? Lmao! I'm not gonna queue at the Samsung store just for trying the Note 3.
I want a true smartphone and that's the Sony Honami or the LG G2.
61. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1616; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
hahah you have seen the Note 3 have you?
73. SonyFindOneDroidple (Posts: 441; Member since: 11 May 2013)
And hes not even talking to you right??
And if you really want a SMARTphone, only galaxies and Moto X are the right phones out there.. Accept it or not
78. Gdrye (Posts: 91; Member since: 02 Jan 2012)
i appreciate this comment, i am so tired of hearing samsung this and samsung that...forget that cheap plastic crap of a phone with so much samsung bloat you have no memory left to store what matters to you in a phone, so many gimmicks. im buying this phone, to hell with a note 3. Matter of fact, how about this, we meet up ill take my xperia ZU out of my pocket in public and you take out your note 3, see how many compliments we will get. Just one touch of the ZU and you will lose that battle every time
30. buccob (Posts: 960; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
You are correct, by that time the Honami will get all the attention
31. lee480 (Posts: 149; Member since: 24 Sep 2012)
Of course. September, and Honami will steal the show. Note 3 becames a failure! Good job Sony.
60. whysoserious (Posts: 311; Member since: 20 Jul 2012)
Let's do a little recap:
Jan 2012 - Xperia S was announced, built hype
May 2012 - Galaxy S3 was announced, Xperia S was forgotten instantly
Jan 2013 - Xperia Z was announced, built hype
March 2013 - S4 was announced, Xperia Z was forgotten
With this trend, I hope this time Honami will live up to your expectations when it gets released.
79. Gdrye (Posts: 91; Member since: 02 Jan 2012)
Once Sony have an all 4 major release on carriers like samsung then your lil comment will be mute.
92. pyradark (Posts: 684; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
As far as i remember, S4 is an epic fail this year!! Globally ex sammy user are shifting to xperia z due to its no Wow effect and cheap plastic build up!!
62. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1616; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
no......samsung products are always more awaited than sonys sorry thats a fact!
47. ABDULGHAFOOR (Posts: 73; Member since: 04 May 2012)
note 3 =another piece of cheap plastic
55. PapaSmurf (Posts: 5770; Member since: 14 May 2012)
It's nice to know so much about a phone before it's released yet alone leaked. I wish I could do that.
63. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1616; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
ABDULGHAFOOR= another pointless troll...
70. AnTuTu (Posts: 596; Member since: 14 Oct 2012)
Note 3 ==>> Sony Ultra + LG G2 + Sony Honami
Trust me Note 3 will kick your a$$
84. AnTuTu (Posts: 596; Member since: 14 Oct 2012)
'Don't be so sure' come on mate even you know that on 4th of September you will see another beast after S4.
85. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1113; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
Note 3 is just oversized S4 with Wacom stylus, OIS, and more powerful chipset. Even G2 is more interesting than Note 3.
96. g2a5b0e (Posts: 1782; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
I would say that that makes for a pretty awesome phone.
109. james004 (Posts: 404; Member since: 15 May 2013)
i can only think of dirty jokes at this point.
5. Mittal (Posts: 425; Member since: 14 Dec 2011)
i wanna see you hold it to your ear ... so funny u will look !
7. xperiaDROID (Posts: 4640; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Nah, try the Asus Fonepad and hold it to your ear, you will look even funnier! lol
23. Mittal (Posts: 425; Member since: 14 Dec 2011)
well it so happens i have !
but pity if u are having to buy a headset out of compulsion to avoid embarrassment rather than choice..
27. XperiaFanZone (Posts: 722; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
out of discomfort than embarrassing. these devices aren't primarily used for phone calls, but keep laughing if that makes you feel better.
49. Mittal (Posts: 425; Member since: 14 Dec 2011)
u got a point there .. but the Ultra can definitely NOT bank on volumes
Might make sense for women who will stuff it in their bags, but only men with Gigantic pockets would think of keeping it there
52. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 2957; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
I read somewhere that a bluetooth headset might be provided in the box...which is a good thing Sony is about to do.
64. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1616; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
so you get a $500 phone to not use it as a phone.....
13. SGSatlantis (Posts: 205; Member since: 20 Jul 2011)
This is a tablet, I've handled the Mega 6.3(which is smaller) and that thing is freaking huge. Sony had to one up Samsungs Note 2, a phone too large to be called a phone and they look silly.
32. akki20892 (Posts: 2250; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Damn, Xperia Z Ultra looks really gorgeous.......!!!
77. akki20892 (Posts: 2250; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Waat aar yu taaking abaat. Go waas yor fec farst.
16. nobelset (Posts: 259; Member since: 17 Oct 2012)
What you're forgetting is that this is a comparison between a Small tablet and a huge phablet. Try the same with an ipad, it will look tiny.
18. wp8nokia (banned) (Posts: 16; Member since: 05 Aug 2013)
I cant wait to see someone with this phone , I think imma laugh more than when I see a galaxy note 2 , lol lol lol lol
53. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 2957; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Too happy to see people bringing it closer to you, eh?
2. wendygarett (unregistered)
Wtf, nexus 7 on Pocket?
6. anleoflippy (Posts: 209; Member since: 03 Jan 2013)
I've used the Z Ultra for 2 days from a friend of mine and it pretty good for someone who don't want a separate tablet. And yes, the display is just gorgeous to look and viewing angles has been fixed. Looking at the Z Ultra from a picture or video does not justify the beauty of the screen. And yeah, you can use almost anything as a stylus.
9. Jeradiah3 (Posts: 923; Member since: 11 Feb 2010)
I have the original Nexus7 and thats how similar they are in size??? DAMN!!!! Even a guy like me (6'7" 240lbs) wouldnt have a phone that big. Thats doing too much BUT if enough people buy the Z Ultra, the Nexus7 is in trouble because it doesnt have phone support unless you add an app for it
12. Bfrenz (Posts: 106; Member since: 26 Aug 2012)
Sony,just gimme the damn updates,i'll buy your device.
91. luffybill (Posts: 14; Member since: 12 Sep 2012)
what updates? z ultra already receive update shortly after launch
17. Scarambay (Posts: 23; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
The only two things about Nexus 7 which are better than Xperia Z Ultra are faster updates and the price. Sony is already working hard to push the updates quicker than they used to, so hopefully it won't be a big deal. For the premium price, you get an absolutely stunning display, stylish overall design and UI, dust and water resistance, higher pocketability and last but not least, better hardware (CPU and GPU).
25. Mittal (Posts: 425; Member since: 14 Dec 2011)
i dont think SONY displays are 'stunning' these days
relatively washed out colours... poor viewing angles ( u might prefer a device with poor viewing angles, but im sure thats not why SONY put it there)