9 alternatives to Google Hangouts for conference calls and encrypted messaging
We've rounded up nine messaging apps that do SMS, chats, email, audio and video conferencing, along with almost everything else in-between. Some of them offer complete functionality for the price of free, others have paid features, and there are some that give up certain functionality in exchange for extended privacy and data protection. Whatever you might be looking for, chances are you will find it here. And if it isn't there, it might be up to you to devise your own messaging start-up!
9 alternatives to Google Hangouts
1. AfterShock (Posts: 2889; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
Hang outs with Zello, need nothing more, YMMV.
Google should acquire them though.
2. brar.arsh (Posts: 158; Member since: 12 Sep 2012)
But why do we need these if Hangouts works just fine for video and conference chats?
5. magnanimus (Posts: 306; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
Most people are very paranoid that Google stores their data. As for me, I am totally indifferent about it.
Most people fail to notice that the joy of using mainly Google apps on your android phone, not alternatives, are
1. Due to the data collected, your experience gets better as everything is interconnected in a way (words saved on google keyboard appear across my devices, music searches on youtube appear on the play store suggestions for purchase and many more)
2. All the apps have some consistency to them and you dont have some apps looking skeumorphic while some holo.
3. Mainly bias but I believe Google to some extent make awesome apps while not sacrificing either beauty nor functionality.
Google apps just work for me and I'm proud to say I can trust them with my data.
6. SemperFiV12 (Posts: 847; Member since: 09 Nov 2010)
I just have to say that I LOL'd on your comment. Not because it is invalid, but how different some users can be.
I agree with everything you have said is valid... I just don't share your same trusting, go-happy nature with a company like Google.
I am uneasy even with Microsoft, Facebook, etc... But NO ONE is as liberal with data mining and sharing as Google. That is what the company was built off of. Usurping user information and selling it FOR PROFIT.
These differences in user profiles truly exemplify how and why different smartphone, platforms and apps appeal to different users!
4. Reeyawn (Posts: 65; Member since: 21 Apr 2013)
probably for the haters of google who are using android.lol
7. aliasgarbabat (Posts: 3; Member since: 07 Apr 2014)
Google Hangouts is best suited for social interactions. For business purposes, I prefer using RHUB web conferencing servers as it provides better security and guaranteed attendance.