x PhoneArena is hiring! Reviewer in the USA
  • Options
    Close





8 year old's Apple iPad charger shocks Dad, sends him flying across the room

0. phoneArena 28 Aug 2013, 09:43 posted on

A story out of the U.K. this morning could have been more tragic, and as it turned out, the events still left a father's fingers burned; eight-year old Chloe Gillooley owns an Apple iPad. Nothing unusual about that. After all, many children these days own a tablet and a smartphone. Last Saturday, Chloe was at her grandmother's home in Widnes, Cheshire along with her 34 year old dad, Tim...

This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here

posted on 28 Aug 2013, 18:39 2

51. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)


A parent got his kid 4yr old a iphone. I was like wtf? U serious kids don't need a phone.

posted on 28 Aug 2013, 10:07 1

9. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 4249; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)


I'm sorry, an iPad for an 8 year old???
Did i read that right?
And dad did come out of the bathroom right??

posted on 28 Aug 2013, 10:13 1

10. seret6 (Posts: 193; Member since: 14 Aug 2013)


what an inefficient and unreliable company apple has become?

posted on 28 Aug 2013, 10:54 5

15. kri5t1 (unregistered)


When i was 8 i used to play with dolls

posted on 28 Aug 2013, 11:19 1

17. Sondae (Posts: 291; Member since: 02 Jan 2013)


Apple sure is electrifying gadgets.

posted on 28 Aug 2013, 11:47

20. hypergreatthing (Posts: 43; Member since: 13 Jun 2012)


At least it wasn't an S-Bomb. They would of ended up throwing the charger under the couch and lighting up most of the UK up in smoke.

posted on 28 Aug 2013, 11:59

21. skymitch89 (Posts: 1354; Member since: 05 Nov 2010)


The article says that he was "coming out of the bathroom". My guess is that he washed his hands, but didn't dry them and a good amount of water dropped across the prongs.

posted on 28 Aug 2013, 12:15

23. phonemonkey (Posts: 168; Member since: 13 Feb 2012)


not at all exaggerated
Because the shock would be a physical force that would magically force him flying across the room

posted on 28 Aug 2013, 12:19

25. moolotovzz (Posts: 24; Member since: 12 Mar 2013)


Parenting done wrong - more outdoor activities, less iPad

posted on 28 Aug 2013, 12:19

26. Googler (Posts: 813; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)


So what's going on? The first instances were after market chargers, now this is an official Apple device that had a major flaw. Also doesn't help the Genius told him both components were good.

posted on 28 Aug 2013, 12:29 2

27. PK1983 (Posts: 215; Member since: 08 Aug 2012)


Apple products are sooooooo much better quality than their Android or Windows Phone counterparts. That is why there are entire kiosks in malls devoted to their repair.

posted on 28 Aug 2013, 17:24 2

49. quesoesgrande (Posts: 217; Member since: 03 Aug 2011)


What does this have to do with anything?

posted on 28 Aug 2013, 12:42

28. good2great (Posts: 1042; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)


"lets frown for the camera hunny" (smh)

PA please update us on the outcome of this.

posted on 28 Aug 2013, 12:42 1

29. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1736; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)


This article is
•_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)
shockingly funny.

posted on 28 Aug 2013, 12:56

31. Whateverman (Posts: 3284; Member since: 17 May 2009)


What the frack is going on with all the shocking iDevices lately?!? And does Apple see any benefits to wireless charging now? Sure, you have to set up the charging pad, but that will limit the amount you have to handle the charger. You guys might want to swallow your pride and backtrack on the concept.

posted on 28 Aug 2013, 19:04

55. roscuthiii (Posts: 2232; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)


Hon Hai/Foxconn/Pegatron are pumping so many out that of course quality control is going to slip. Two of the largest presences in mobile is Apple and Samsung. Faulty electrical product stories seem to be mostly coming from Apple and Samsung... I'd say there's probably a correlation in there somewhere.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if faulty units discovered in QC inspections and scheduled to be recycled aren't finding their way off the backs of trucks or out of back doors and into retailer channels somehow.

posted on 28 Aug 2013, 21:12

59. Whateverman (Posts: 3284; Member since: 17 May 2009)


Sounds plausible.

posted on 28 Aug 2013, 13:08 1

32. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)


It just works ...

posted on 28 Aug 2013, 13:18 1

36. boosook (Posts: 1442; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)


To make him (or his daughter) fly across the room you would need at least an atomic bomb! :-)

posted on 28 Aug 2013, 13:19

37. DukeX (Posts: 327; Member since: 28 Aug 2013)


Yu Gi Oh: IPAD 4! ATTACK DADS WALLET DIRECTLY! LIGHTNING CABLE STRIKE!

Beep beep beep beep beep beep beep -$750HP!

posted on 28 Aug 2013, 13:20

38. amilcarmz86 (Posts: 95; Member since: 09 Jul 2013)


the bottom line is.... apple sucks and on top of that is expensive as hell!

posted on 28 Aug 2013, 14:05

39. VLaRueC (Posts: 182; Member since: 18 Dec 2012)


Phonearena...the only news site I see articles with real value. The onion has nothing on PA.

posted on 28 Aug 2013, 14:22

41. tedkord (Posts: 13527; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)


Glad no one was hurt severely. Imagine not only watching your father die, but that he died from something you asked him to do.

posted on 28 Aug 2013, 14:46 2

42. Taters (banned) (Posts: 6474; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)


Looks like Apple is beginning to want more. Overcharging their customers by 10 times isn't enough anymore. Now they need to physically charge them.

posted on 28 Aug 2013, 15:49

44. MIBLegend (Posts: 4; Member since: 23 Mar 2013)


LOL "blow across the room"? A bomb might be, the charger only get slight burn so where is the explosion that can blow him away. How can people believe that and make a report LOL.

posted on 28 Aug 2013, 16:15

46. Shatter (Posts: 2036; Member since: 29 May 2013)


Unless he was using an extremley high output socket that was wet and he just so happened to have a ton of electrical conduction on him there is no way. Long story short its fake.

posted on 28 Aug 2013, 18:51 2

52. Slammer (Posts: 1515; Member since: 03 Jun 2010)


A completely dry human body has a resistance of roughly 100,000 ohms. Depending on the water content on the skin(such as showering, rain, washing hands and other H2O content within the body, the resistance can drop to as low as 1,000 ohms. Given the right conditions, the voltage and amperage applied to a human body, can cause the muscles to react beyond normal body control. Depending on the surge, The muscle reaction can indeed cause a person to be bolted a certain distance from initial point of shocking. In short, it is not the voltage that "throws a person across the room". It is the reaction of the body's muscles. There have been recorded instances where this has actually happened including tazing. Point of contact with skin is roughly 1,200 volts but only .02-.04 amps. The low amperage is not generally enough to kill.

A certain human composition can definitely be greatly effected causing one to be thrown a certain distance.

John B.

posted on 28 Aug 2013, 16:18

47. Taters (banned) (Posts: 6474; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)


Fake or not, it doesn't matter. They had so many fake studies and claims conducted by their fan club in their favor already that a few fakes ones not in their favor is long over due.

posted on 28 Aug 2013, 18:58

54. ddeath (Posts: 169; Member since: 14 Apr 2012)


Looks like he was struck by lightning.

posted on 28 Aug 2013, 19:32

56. weedl (Posts: 50; Member since: 05 Oct 2012)


the charger is already wrapped with plastic material how it still can transfer electric ?

Want to comment? Please login or register.

Latest stories