6.4" Sony Xperia Z Ultra unveiled - thinnest, fastest waterproof phablet comes with pencil input
0. phoneArena 25 Jun 2013, 03:25 posted on
The Japanese have not only made the thinnest 6.5mm watertight phone with the largest 6.44" screen and fastest 2.2 GHz quad-core Snapdragon 800 processor with the Xperia Z Ultra, but it also wanted to diversify its phablet functionalities beyond what is possible with Samsung's Note family, for instance. As such, they have employed a technology that allows you to write on the screen with any regular pen or pencil whose tip is more than 1mm in diameter, besides gracing it with stylus input functionality...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
12. xperiaDROID (limited) (Posts: 5494; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
No need handbags, just buy big jeans and you're good to go.
26. phil2n (Posts: 466; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
I was like, OH my God.. is this true?.. I didn't expect Sony to unveil this monster right now. It might kill the Note 3 on arrival.
50. AnTuTu (Posts: 814; Member since: 14 Oct 2012)
"I didn't expect Sony to unveil this monster right now. It might kill the Note 3 on arrival"
You must be kidding....!!
89. Dr.Phil (Posts: 911; Member since: 14 Feb 2011)
I am very impressed by this device and I do think it should push Samsung to really go all out for the Note III. While the screen size may be monstrously huge for a lot of people, we can put that aside and just marvel at what this device brings to the table. I will be honest, after seeing Sony finally step up and offer a high end device with this kind of specifications that are pretty much ahead of the competition, I am highly considering buying a Sony device for my next phone. In the past, Sony was playing catch-up. I mean the Xperia Z is a great handset but in the hardware department it seemed to be lacking behind in some areas (mainly the S4 processor that we had seen for months instead of the new 600 processor that the latest high-end devices were offering). I'm glad to finally see them get out ahead of the competition and offer a device with the latest hardware. If you think about it, the Snapdragon 800 wasn't suppose to go into production until next month, so for them to offer a device with the Snapdragon 800 right when the processor starts production is amazing. I have also been impressed with Sony's support for software updates on all of its devices. I've seen them offer support for the latest Android build on devices that were released two years ago. Samsung, in my opinion, still lags behind in that department.
So, I am looking forward to see what Samsung, HTC, and LG have to offer in response to this device. Overall, I was excited before but now I'm really excited to see what's coming later on this year!
80. SprintGuy26 (Posts: 66; Member since: 21 Mar 2011)
yes sony will kill note 3 no doubt about that...its a shame that they dont offer this with CDMA radios so more carriers can sell this phone
46. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Pajamas made of denim ... that should be good enough.
22. tahnik (Posts: 133; Member since: 17 Jul 2011)
I'm sure you wouldn't say the same if it was Samsung...
32. hung2900 (Posts: 794; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
If the bezel is thinner, my pocket maybe enough
53. PunyPoop (Posts: 718; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
Alter your pants, that is a good alternative!
36. AnTuTu (Posts: 814; Member since: 14 Oct 2012)
I think it's more like a tablet. Way too big for the Phablet category.
I think design could have been better something like less bezels and little bit smaller in size. This design is deal breaker for me. But well done with the technology you have put in this device Sony.
Will wait for Note 3.
67. taikucing (unregistered)
I put it in my underwear
86. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6499; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
no we should buy a Satchel/Man Purse like ALAN from Hang Over
2. xperiaDROID (limited) (Posts: 5494; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Oh, would you look at that! It's freakin' gorgeous!
Good job Sony.
82. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4079; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
Ok this is DEFINITELY in my radar now. I can't believe I am saying that a Sony Handset will be considered.
Samsung DEFINITELY has a competator out there.
3. Techsplash (Posts: 41; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
competitor?i dont know.the xperia z was looking very good on paper .but most of the reviews of it have just been ok.
56. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
Reviews. Oh those deceiving words by those judgemental reviewers. I guess you should wait to touch it first rather than believing those reviews. One's perspective is different from the other, especially when one is a pure critic of the product. One example here is L920. Reviews I've read about it are at rage when it comes to its size. But when I manage to have one in my hand, it was so comfy.
4. tahnik (Posts: 133; Member since: 17 Jul 2011)
Holy s**t !! At last they changed the display...This will be game changing !!!
33. habeebs (Posts: 8; Member since: 16 Jun 2013)
they ddnt change the display , TFT display is still onn , but with a new better technology !!
79. pwnarena (Posts: 905; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
there's still slight contrast and color change, though. you can look at the photos available right now. they still have hints of the xperia z flaw.
87. TMach (Posts: 369; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
I am sure you realise this display is OLED (Organic Light Emitting Diode) Not TFT which is a version of LCD (TFT stands for thin film transistor). Guess some people never get over their bias even when they read and see something different! Rant over....
5. Libra501 (Posts: 14; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
sorry Apple, i am going for Sony this time,
6. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3012; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
When it comes to Sony, i'm not worried about the performance as the UI is light. However, i'm worried about the screen... TFT and all the mighty specs will be somehow unjustified.
71. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
don't worry no more crappy screen with bad viewing angle
or you can watch this video
7. _Bone_ (Posts: 2129; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
The SGS4 Advance is the first SD800 phone but whatever. Impressive device by Sony, too big for my liking but it'll be a good benchmark of what to expect from the Honami, the product I can't wait to take a look at.
57. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
Was it officially announced? I think not. So, no.
78. kurtdean99 (Posts: 79; Member since: 02 Jun 2013)
Are u crazy? That phone wasn't even announced yet. Xperia Z Ultra is the first phone with SD800. Don't be a blind fanboy
8. harigrg33 (Posts: 158; Member since: 20 May 2013)
Dammm this looks awesome.... ! Finally sony is on the competion....
11. xperiaDROID (limited) (Posts: 5494; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Sony is always on the competition. ALWAYS.
54. PunyPoop (Posts: 718; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
They just remain to be quiet.. They are the Dark Horse!
9. Potato. (banned) (Posts: 607; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
Go Sony Go!!!
With that design and gorgeous hardware they are going to give Note 3 a tough time
38. AnTuTu (Posts: 814; Member since: 14 Oct 2012)
I don't think so. Note 3 will offer so many things in the software side.
13. _Bone_ (Posts: 2129; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Wait it only has an 8MP Exmor R sensor? How disappointing. I also don't like the 5.5 hour video playback, the Note II and Ascend Mate pulls TWELVE, as well as the FHD S4. I bet most would've preferred 2 extra millimeters for 1000mAh+ battery.
39. AnTuTu (Posts: 814; Member since: 14 Oct 2012)
Same here kinda disappointing :( I wish size was little bit smaller.
And still not sure what Sony would offer in the software side to this device.
15. pyradark (Posts: 772; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
The God of Design, this is how to implement the old design into new, Sony never fails, Wow on specs, so-so battery for video playback. And finally my dream screen from sony, Thank god that i didnt bought the tablet z. This is my first evah sony
16. ardent1 (Posts: 1997; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)
I really wish the OEMs would disclose the display area. Without the aspect ratio, the width of the screen, the 6.44" diagonal is pretty much meaningless.
While I haven't touched the device, it's clear to me that it's a tall rectangle device with a narrow screen.
24. StuiWooi (Posts: 4; Member since: 19 Feb 2013)
Dude, we have the aspect ratio...it's a 1080p screen!
17. wendygarett (unregistered)
Is this the 1st s800 device?
18. FlushGordon (unregistered)
I might change my plan....I was dead set on getting the NOTE 3
If the Note 3 doesn't sport a similar processor, then it's a No Brainer
Only downside to this is that I am seeing those dreadful on screen buttons
more like 6 or 6.2 inches to my eyes
20. xperiaDROID (limited) (Posts: 5494; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
1. "Only downside to this is that I am seeing those dreadful on screen buttons"
-This is Android. Are you new to Android?
- And I can see you were being sarcastic, Gordon. First, you bash Sony then now you say Wowowowowowow. -__-
19. amiroo (Posts: 269; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
everything is ok but this size isnt good at all.
28. FlushGordon (unregistered)
The battery is so-so too....they could've stuffed at least a 3600 mAh in there
5 hour continuous video playback is a bit short
49. AnTuTu (Posts: 814; Member since: 14 Oct 2012)
Who knows mate what that Beast would offer.
69. pyradark (Posts: 772; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
Well im not going to wait for note 3 that can now track your eyes with your eye glasses worn for their bloatware. Having a no flaps in headphone port is already a innovation.
29. StuiWooi (Posts: 4; Member since: 19 Feb 2013)
My main thought is: no flash? Really?! It (as a light in the dark) has to be one of the most used features on my phone...
30. Tsepz_GP (Posts: 819; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)
Freaking hell, and I thought the Galaxy Mega6.3 was too big :o
A beautiful phone by Sony indeed, but what's up with:
No LED Camera Flash????
3000mAh battery (smaller than Note2)??????
It's going to be a very niche device, I doubt Samsung have much to worry about here, the Note3 is guaranteed to address the weight, size, lack of flash, battery size amongst other things when it arrives, not to mention it already has a sizeable user base that just keeps getting bigger. Great try by Sony though, lovely looking thing.
31. Saamic (Posts: 119; Member since: 20 Feb 2012)
They need to make this exact phone with a smaller screen variant...
37. rgxVOiD (Posts: 434; Member since: 30 Aug 2012)
Xperia Z? According to rumor it's getting a S800 upgrade with/also a Google Edition