6-way blind camera comparison: the results
0. phoneArena 29 Mar 2013, 11:02 posted on
Okay, guys, teasing time is over. Today we're revealing the results from our latest blind camera comparison, as well as the identities of all the smartphones that were used. A big "thank you" goes to everyone who cast their vote, and a 5 internets prize goes to those eagle-eyed few who named the handsets correctly in the comments! Perhaps you're all wondering which device we attached the mysterious Phone #4 moniker to. After all, that's the smartphone that got most of you guys' votes – in all three categories, for that matter...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
65. UrbanPhantom (Posts: 949; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)
Here's another thought as well: it's entirely possible that people are actually choosing images that seem familiar to the pictures they take and display from the devices that they currently own. The auto settings used for these tests will probably bear a likeness in terms of contrast and brightness, and that could explain why popular devices like the iPhone5 received more votes. It's just a theory, but perhaps the audience was already trained to recognize the results, and simply choose what they already own...
203. kibber (Posts: 1; Member since: 08 Apr 2013)
How come S4 came second then? Very few people in the world have touched it, let alone made pictures with it.
59. protozeloz (Posts: 5387; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
Ha! That's why I love this! Can you guys do it a bit more?
62. ankit.bit (Posts: 4; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
iphone 5 was hands down winner for indoor photography...bt outdoor i think s4 is better...iphone 5 captures too much light...,thats why its photo appear brighter in outdoor,,,for which most people voted.....
64. protozeloz (Posts: 5387; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
I choose it for the brightness outdoors, voted other numbers.
I think for q next time phones should change numbers, I think many people voted based on the info that the same number was the same device, not complaining about the result but make it a bit more hard to figure out
67. Andrewtst (Posts: 483; Member since: 25 Jan 2009)
Just accept it Nokia Lumia 920 camera was never good. It get last place for nearly every site review I seen.
91. Coon5000 (Posts: 10; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
Not to call you a liar or anything but you must have checked close to no other sites if what your saying is true.
I haven't seen anywhere where the 920 comes last, its always in top 3..
70. GuitarPlayer (Posts: 36; Member since: 15 Nov 2012)
The results depend the way you take the photos and videos. It hard to believe that iphone 5 wins lumia 920 in video and low light photo. I already seen many videos os iphone and l 920 and it is clearly that 920 is better.
82. UrbanPhantom (Posts: 949; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)
Well, what did you expect? PhoneArena probably didn't hire a proffessional photographer to do the tests, and even more importantly, the judges are not proffessional photographers either. I can live with these results, because they mean virtually nothing...
71. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Well well, what do we have here..
Thanks for doing this, PA!
To all Nokia boys -I WAS OBVIOUSLY AND BEYOND DOUBT RIGHT, you pathetic blind haters.
98. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
and to you the samsung lover who has slated the iphone in every way possible hows it feel that it was voted the better camera?
the more you insist on trying to aim your comments at a small selection of people on here the more in gonna call you on your bs. your samsung fanboys are by far the worst and have gone real quiet about how the s4's camera will own the iphones etc
106. sbw44 (Posts: 425; Member since: 04 Dec 2012)
Its only here at PhoneArena, an alternate reality where a Nokia phone will get mediocre or crappy shots! Its only here where a Iphone or Samsung will beat Nokia in the Camera department!
Every other website praised Nokia's Camera Tech!
Now go back to your no good pathetic life where you believe android is the best!
72. rustyimtiaz (Posts: 44; Member since: 16 Oct 2012)
I am i hate apple for there OS i have praised Apple for there camera!! and i dont get it Xperia Z and S4 uses the freaking same same 13MP sensor why the hell there is a lot of difference?? can som1 tell me!!!
113. Taters (Posts: 4766; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Firmware. Nikon uses Sony sensors most of the time too, they have their own but the D7000 and others use Sony sensors and the pictures look much better on the Nikon DSLRs compared to the Sony DSLRs.
Sony ignores detail in favour of noise reduction, Nikon doesn't.
78. blackeye117 (Posts: 13; Member since: 24 Dec 2011)
There IS a Camera Phone Called Nokia 808 Did you Guys At Phonearena ever heard of it ? i thought that this was a camera comparision ? why wasnt that one included ?
90. Coon5000 (Posts: 10; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
They would probably have to have it arrested for raping all the other phones.
79. adammorrone (Posts: 8; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)
really disappointed in HTC One.... Can't believe I voted for the iPhone.... props Apple. props.
80. noone (Posts: 3; Member since: 27 Feb 2013)
iphone always got a nice camera since iphone4, but will i get an iphone? most likely not.
84. gogowho (Posts: 37; Member since: 12 Mar 2013)
fair game, I think. earnest person earns the game.
86. shikroi (Posts: 187; Member since: 24 Sep 2012)
I voted for the iphone 5 as well. Guess apple deserves some credit.
89. Coon5000 (Posts: 10; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
The iPhone won but I hardly think that this test was a good one, I mean 3 pictures only and 2 of them are in the same situation. Don't get me wrong, the iPhone has a great camera, but this test was s**t and I don't think anyone should take it seriously since it barely covers any camera situations, it doesn't even include low light test (Where the One and L920 outshine every other phone there).. All it has is cloudy and indoors..
I like how people are saying the iPhone and the S4 won. Sorry guys, the iPhone won.. I wouldn't call 2nd place winning, but if your including the top ones then the L920, iPhone and S4 won..
Also bare in mind that if that low light test was included the S4 would look like s**t, so don't get so happy about it Sammy fans. If the test was included the results would have almost undeniably been 1st: L920, 2nd: HTC One, 3rd: iPhone. Which would have actually shifted the overall standing to 1st: iPhone 2nd: L920 3rd:S4.
But yeah thats just my take.. Fanboys please comment and attack away.
107. hung2900 (Posts: 884; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
I'm coming. Yeah your Lumia 920 is great. I have check the comments, and to sum up:
- "For some Nokia fans, I think they will vote for #6 because the toyish color is easily recognized as the beautuful "free Instagram feature" of Lumia 920" - my comment, but I was wrong coz most Lumia fan chose a different photo, maybe mostly #4 iphone, lol. Hiding the brand make them really "blind".
- "I think #4 is lumia 920, 2 is S4 and 5 is HTC one" - Choosing the best scored phone for the brands he likes, lol. And let the worst for S4.
- "Phones 2 and 3 seem to have duller colors, and phone 6 has really vibrant, a little bit oversaturated colors... All of them are at least quality photos though, honestly." - Yeah
- "Phone 4 photo always get over exposure.. look at the sky...
Phone 6 has the best indoor photo for me..." - Good evaluation
- "#4 is definitely Nokia Lumia 920. its not difficult to guess when you watched the video. Optical image stabilization really works..!" - haha fail
- "im pretty sure phone 6 is the lumia 920, oversaturated colors and bigger pictures, also the video clearly has the best OIS even outperforming that panasonic dslr
btw phone 4 definitely must be the iphone... crappy zoomed in video and yellowish pictures" - one of the best evaluation
- "outdoor 5 (impressed by the details produced)
indoor 6 ( had less noise in shadows)
video 6 (more sharper and does not 'blur' when moved horizontally and seemed to be more steady of all these 6)" - Is it the thing you want?
Here just some comments.
115. Coon5000 (Posts: 10; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
I didn't partake in the original test but I agree with your coment, #6 instantly would have been obvious to me that it was the Lumia. On face value(without pixel peeping) I think the Lumia brings out the best images (but obviously the actual scene in real life isn't as colourful as the Lumias image :P), I was slightly let down by the outdoor shots though as although the image clearly had detail it seemed smudged by the noise reduction (?), so yeah if were going for detail then I think the iPhone still has the crown (That is if we don't include the Nokia 808)
108. sbw44 (Posts: 425; Member since: 04 Dec 2012)
Because PhoneArena is pro Apple,Samsung,Android and against WP,Nokia and for some reason Sony!
Check out how the 920 demolished the S4 and HTC One in this Low Light Shots!
Just edit the link below because for some reason a nokia blog is banned by phone arena
http:// my okia blog.com/2013/03/29/mnb-rg-nokia-lumia-920-vs-sgs4-night-shootout/
I still say its only on this site where you will get Nokia devices taking mediocre oversaturated shots!
109. Coon5000 (Posts: 10; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
Just to back up my last point;
Heres the Nokia Lumia 920 verses the S4 in low light : imgur.com/a/hul9k (Like seriously samsung? LOL, I'm not going to bother commenting on this)
Here it is agaisnt the iPhone: imgur.com/RKUoJa7 (Thought I'd leave the Z10 in there for laughs, also note how the iPhone image looks more zoomed in at 100% crop, this is because it downsamples its pictures to 4mpx when shooting in low light, a lot of reviewers seem to forget/not know this) (If anyone is wondering why, it downsamples to 4mpx because the noise becomes less apparent, it does however shoot at iso 3200 which not many smartphones go to, but obviously your sacrificing your mpx to do this, so Apple has taken the same approach as the Nokia 808, and it does actually fair pretty well)
And finally the HTC: imgur.com/a/l5w0V (Hint, the Lumia is the top one) I can't say much about this, the image from the Lumia is stunningily beautiful.. The HTC has very washed out colours, I've noticed this from a lot of their photos actually, they seem slightly underexposed with low contrast, but nevertheless it has done pretty well in the low light department.
133. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 765; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
s4 blows htc one in lowlight accdg to gsmarena
161. Coon5000 (Posts: 10; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
Lol I really hope your not stupid enough to believe that
172. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 765; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
lol i really hope you're not stupid enough to take the review of the most detailed review in this planet..
ok ull say its bias..dababababa excuses :)
175. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
ok so we all know your the new samsung troll, and your after attention but your so immature in your comments you need lessons in been a troll
fanboys and trolls so blind samsung is basically there idol now, just like apple with the apple fans. difference is samsung fans have gone to a new level of blind mindless following-your prime example
HTC one is better in low light, along with how the 920 was proven to be good in low light. your precious samsung.......average at best
178. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 765; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
Ok if that's ur opinion, then go stick with what u r blvng in terms of what camera takes the best.But u cant take away from me to believe what this review and other unbiased review saying abt how s4 manages to outperform the other handsets.. if u hav a problm on how I constrct my sntce as childsh one, k fine I cant change that coz thats me., im just gettin happy targeting people like u and coon
179. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
awww kid you cant target anywhen, pleaze dont try to play with the adults you already showing you basically have a below average intellect and just follow your papa samsung
second funny you think the s4 outperformed the others yet the iphone was voted the better one so the s4 lost. you cant take that though can you.
and its hilarious you cant accept the iphone topped the s4 in this blind vote. bring in the 808 and your s4 would get beaten again and stick to camera's as thats what the article is about
181. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 765; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
Duhh I just said in my other comments that iphone won.. I accept it w/o any doubt..pls dont limit ur judgement to just one side.. imjust stating the fact that s4 outperformed the other smartphones.. and in that way s4 also won aginst the other smartphones..
180. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 765; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
who cant accept whats being said by these reviews.. well when it comes to lumia920, based on other reviews, it actually outperformed these other smartphones and I believe them but I actually dont have interest with lumia coz it is not android.. pureview tech is d best mobile cam tech ryt now..
Im just basing my reactions with what I read and believe.. if this compafrison and gsmA comparisons will go on the side of other handsets, then ill believe it.. mim not going to be one of those people that when their device lost tghe battle then they will react with harsh protests and disrespecting the maker of reviews..
92. Problacklist.One (Posts: 15; Member since: 01 Dec 2010)
I knew the result is gonna end up in iphone 5s favor that why i didnt vote.
102. hung2900 (Posts: 884; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
Me too, lol.
I can really feel that if I picked a photo, it would be the iPhone, so I stopped.
110. Taters (Posts: 4766; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
I knew it. 13mp is too much and Apple has great camera firmware. The 8mp exmor RS in the Xperia SP and maybe the gs4 mini and I guess the iPhone 5s will be the best sensor. The Nikon phone and iphone has the best automatic firmware.
111. nvrhde (Posts: 77; Member since: 10 Nov 2012)
Kudos to iPhone
But I will never swich to ios again just bcos of the camera
114. Taters (Posts: 4766; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Regardless of the results, the HTC One fanboys can all shut up now about having useful innovations like a crap camera.....
117. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
its funny, that you always direct comments to HTC fanboys yet all this shows is your hating for some petty reason
all camera innovation is welcome no matter how spectacular, least there trying something different from others. with this all you would have is a slab with a touch screen, 1080 ofcourse, 5 inch, some features that will be available to all via 3rd party apps etc and a 13mp camera
be the same kind of phone but a differant brand, and on day to day uses massive specs arent important so all will perform the same.
why would you want clones of each other, HTC should be commended for trying, nokia push too, samsung have always been upping the specs and giving some good features yes but wont be enough to push innovation
134. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 765; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
ohh, s2, s3 and esp note devices revolutionized the android scene.. that can speak for their innovation,
and SAMSUNG HAS THE LARGEST NUMBER OF MOBILE PATENTS :) that speaks their creations in mobile world :)
143. sbw44 (Posts: 425; Member since: 04 Dec 2012)
how did it revolutionized? by bringing back the stylus as the s pen????
Largest number of mobile patents? are you kidding me????
At least try to sound more intelligent please and not like a mindless stupid fanboy that you are!
150. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 765; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
cant accept that SPEN drives the most unique flavor in android? yah it is outdated tech, but the Spen is diffrnt in different ways,, read reviews and read how they say somthing magnfcnt abt it!!
and pls go back to 2011 and 2012 and read the reviews for s2 and s3
no one cant find any excuse abt s2 and s3 that made android so BIG!!!
116. someones4 (Posts: 622; Member since: 16 Sep 2012)
i'm mad not because the iphone has a better camera. 'm mad because no one can offer a camera as good as the iphone's. this is so lame.
118. Edmund (Posts: 656; Member since: 13 Jul 2012)
I voted for the Lumia 920, which is all that counts. Besides, MS forces manufacturers to compress the hell out of photos taken using the phone's camera so this is hardly a standardized test.
122. Coon5000 (Posts: 10; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
Oh god I feel Microsoft is crippling my Lumia so much :(, if it was running Android this would easily be one of the best selling phones imo..
119. UrbanPhantom (Posts: 949; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)
I have a Lumia 920, and Nikon D7000 with an 18-200mm that I sometimes take travelling with me.The DSLR usually takes better pictures, but the important thing to understand is that auto settings are not a measure of how great the camera is, but rather how well it takes photos without doing any adjustments.
Those of you blindly knocking the Lumia 920 have probably never even used the device, nor the 808 for that matter, and so your opinons are basically moot. The Lumia 920 has optical image stablization technology that is superior to all other smartphones at this time, including both the SG IV and HTC One. I also noticed that PhoneArena didn't bother to examine low light situations, and I have to wonder if that was deliberate. Unfortunately, it would appear that those doing the testing for this website are themselves biased, and so these results should be taken with a grain of salt...
I have been happy with my purchase, and would recommend other photographers to try the Lumia 920 if they are in the market for a new smartphone. In addition to having a good quality IPS LCD display that reads well even in bright sunlight, and can be used with gloves, the Lumia 920 also hosts a dedicated physical shutter/focus button. That alone should be worth extra marks for those who areserious about their hobby.
120. UrbanPhantom (Posts: 949; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)
NOTE: I also have dual Dell u2410 IPS displays, that are color calibrated via the Spyder IV. There's no point in having a good camera, if your computer monitors blow goats!
121. hung2900 (Posts: 884; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
Ok ok, I see. But how many people picked Lumia 920 in the blind test?
124. Coon5000 (Posts: 10; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
How many people actually know what to look for when choosing the best image? They probably just zoomed in and looked for the sharpest as if there is nothing more to judge a camera by.
Although I must add that this comparison was rubbish, as soon as someone I know gets an S4 I'll do a real comparison between them covering all aspects, this review didn't even do a low light test..
185. monkeymuffins (Posts: 3; Member since: 31 Mar 2013)
Yeah, the HTC One has more accurate colours in its photos, but the higher saturation and contrast of other phones is more aesthetically pleasing to most people. If you're going by which photo simply looks better on any decent camera (low-light aside), the One is probably not going to stack up.
123. Coon5000 (Posts: 10; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
Just another note for photography enthusiasts, there is an awesome app called ProShot which is a must have! Complete manual control (although min shutter of 4 secs) and even Time Lapse mode
138. UrbanPhantom (Posts: 949; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)
Coon5000: Thanks for the link! Proshot looks interesting, and has plenty of interesting features, including self-timer, histogram, and intervalometer for timelapse. It also has a trial mode so you can try it before you buy it. Nice!
125. Archan_Pe (Posts: 74; Member since: 08 Apr 2012)
LOL I hate to admit it but the iPhone 5 is the best cameraphone of them all... LOL noooooooooooooo.......
140. THolmes (Posts: 1; Member since: 27 Mar 2013)
I don't believe it. I've seen too many images of the HTC One that were far and away superior to these, and no I don't own one.
147. Trex95 (Posts: 689; Member since: 03 Mar 2013)
I still go for PV 808 even though i'm fan of IOS and Android.
151. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 765; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
nothing cant beat PV 808 now :) hoping nokia to be in android scene :)
156. mathburn (Posts: 9; Member since: 15 Aug 2012)
i'm right Phone 2 is Xperia Z because it's loss a lot of detail.
And I voted for Phone5 Galaxy S4 because it's look brighter than Phone4 iPhone5.