5 things that could have made the iPad Air a better iPad
0. phoneArena 25 Oct 2013, 08:34 posted on
Apple has unveiled its newest tablet, the iPad Air, and while fans around the world are patiently waiting for November 1, which is the release date of the device, we've been thinking about the things the iPad Air misses the most - or the things that could have made the iPad Air an even better iPad...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. emadshiny (Posts: 1144; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
Two last ideas could make both iPads great, specially earpods.
20. NexusPhan (Posts: 600; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
I disagree with the headphones thing. They just add cost and waste. Almost everyone at this point has multiple sets of cheap headphones like the earpods. There is not a need to keep including them with every new device. Waterproof on any and all tablets (and phones) would be awesome.
21. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10309; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Did you just call EarPods cheap? They're one of the best for $30..
37. TechDork (Posts: 282; Member since: 10 May 2010)
There are always better earphones other than the EarPods. Matter of fact, their just is.
40. sniper1087 (Posts: 483; Member since: 31 Dec 2011)
They are cheap compared to beats headphones.
46. TTGCEO (Posts: 12; Member since: 04 Oct 2013)
Beats are overpriced "Cheap" headphones. They have bad build quality and my Audio-Technica ATH-M50's were only $149.99 from Amazon and they sound A LOT better and cost way less.
56. Shatter (Posts: 2036; Member since: 29 May 2013)
You can turn into headphones into beats.
1. Put a red B on the side
2. Turn your amp and phone to max bass boost so it sounds like distorted farts.
3. Take a layer of plastic wrap and cover the headphone driver to kill off whats left of the quality
4. Enjoy your new piece of crap.
66. squallz506 (banned) (Posts: 1075; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Klipsch headphones are best sound per cost period, regardless of model.
41. saffant (Posts: 264; Member since: 04 Jul 2011)
No they're not. My cheap $30 m5 brainwavs destroy them.
60. Diezparda (Posts: 732; Member since: 23 Oct 2013)
Cheap audio quality maybe? i actually agree with NexusPhan. The audio quality of the new EarPods was slightly better than the previous model but it's not good either. The problem it's not comfortable (it actually hurting my ears) and to much bass with low clarity.
the new EarPods, there is no need to include them since i already have Sennheiser Momentum & Sony MDR 1r (since i believe every audiophile or anyone who really care about audio quality probably had their own headphone)
67. squallz506 (banned) (Posts: 1075; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
The inclusion of these $5 worth of parts would've hurt apples $350+ profit margin per device too much. Therefore the apple customer must do without.
I like how apple charges $900 for a $300 product while Google charges $199 for a product that costs them the same ($300).
2. good2great (Posts: 1042; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
there's nothing wrong with the iPad Air.
But stereo speakers and headphones does make sense tho.
7. NexusPhan (Posts: 600; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
My requests would have been a kickstand, a keyboard dock option, bigger battery and front facing stereo speakers similar to the Nexus 10's. Slightly higher res screen would have been nice but iOS doesn't scale well (at all) so that was likely not an option. USB or microSD slot would have been welcome too. Or stylus support. Damn, the iPad really is missing a lot. Hey PA, list these other 5 missing features and change the article to 10.
13. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10309; Member since: 14 May 2012)
They offer iCloud and the 128GB model to cut out the need for a Micro SD card slot. Not a single model of the iPhone or iPad ever offered SD support. Stereo speakers are always a welcome though, especially watching videos on a 9.7" screen.
17. NexusPhan (Posts: 600; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
I don't care that an SD card slot was never offered. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be. They also never offered stereo speaker either, now did they? iCloud is terrible. The 128GB version costs as much as a car. SD cards are dirt cheap and make transferring pictures from my camera a piece of cake. Also, way to address only 2 of my many wanted additions.
22. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10309; Member since: 14 May 2012)
This is Apple you're talking about. Everything is pushed through iTunes, an Apple service, not third party support like SD cards. Btw, iCloud isn't terrible. Is the best? No, but it gets the job done and syncs between the entire Apple ecosystem.
28. NexusPhan (Posts: 600; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
iCloud is terrible. I'm having to deal with the BS on my GF's iPhone 5 all the time. Services are always down, slow, not working as they should. It's truly terrible. Can't remember the last time her iMessage worked. "iCloud sync error" Apple store genius was useless too. Did a wipe and it didn't work. They told her to get a new Apple ID and start from nothing.
30. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10309; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Well that sucks. My family has never encountered problems with iCloud except for when it went down for a few hours.
34. NexusPhan (Posts: 600; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
It goes down all the time. I've also seen a thousand complaints on Apple's support boards and in reviews. I'm glad that you are lucky enough that it's not been a problem for you. I have had too many bad experiences to ever rely on it. I truly hope you never have the same experience.
9. g2a5b0e (Posts: 3639; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
"there's nothing wrong with the iPad Air."
Spoken like a true fanboy. The iPad Air is nice, sure, but there's no such thing as a perfect device...as least not yet. The fact that it doesn't include features that a lot of people wanted or expected is proof of that.
14. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10309; Member since: 14 May 2012)
How does his comment make him a fanboy? iPad suits him well, so he's automatically a fanboy? I think there isn't anything wrong with the iPad Air myself.
44. g2a5b0e (Posts: 3639; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
It makes him a fanboy because he's not willing to admit that there are some things that could have been improved upon with this release. I love my Note 2, but I'll be the first one to admit that there were things about it that could have made it a better device upon when it was first released.
19. ardent1 (Posts: 2000; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)
Nothing wrong with a device is not the same as being a perfect device. These are independent events, not mutually exclusive events.
Also, what others want or expect do not either diminish or detract the original person's opinion. There is simply no proof, except an attempt at word games.
45. g2a5b0e (Posts: 3639; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
I disagree. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a perfect device. If there is something wrong, it can't be perfect. If it is perfect, there can be nothing wrong. In my eyes, they are the same thing.
63. ardent1 (Posts: 2000; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)
And thank you for proving my point.
We are dealing with opinions and not facts. What you feel is perfect is your opinion, which you try to pass as a fact.
68. willard12 (Posts: 1406; Member since: 04 Jul 2012)
What point was proven? In what world do you live in were "nothing wrong" does not mean perfect. "Perfect" means without fault. The ipad air is a solid device. But I believe the whole premise of the article is that it is not without faults, just as every device isn't without faults.
69. g2a5b0e (Posts: 3639; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
It's good to hear someone making sense on these forums.
43. good2great (Posts: 1042; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
what i meant is, why try to add more to a product that provides needs based on its operating system.
Finger print scanner isn't gonna make it better.
I think we get so fascinated by adding "new" features to products just because its new.
I'm no fanboy just saying that the iPad is fine the way it is... now if i said "IPad FTW" after that statement then yes i would be guilty. lol
3. alejandrodejan (Posts: 2; Member since: 29 Aug 2013)
Now that I've known that there will be no earpods included on the iPad Air box I'm not buying this!!! Mind as well buy a lumia 2520...
10. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10309; Member since: 14 May 2012)
$500 for a RT tablet? Hey it's your money, but the iPad Air offers more.
33. DaHarder (Posts: 177; Member since: 10 Oct 2009)
Seriously Now... For US 499.00 Lumia 2520 'offers':
- 32gb of storage VS 16gb for the iPad 'Air'.
- 2gb RAM VS 1gb for the iPad 'Air'.
- Built-in GPS module VS US 129.00 extra on the iPad 'Air'.
- LTE standard VS an addition US 129.00 for the iPad 'Air'.
- A widescreen aspect ratio far better for video/movie viewing.
- Industry standard resolution at 1080p vs whatever the iPad 'Air' is.
- More scratch/dent-proof polycarbonate build VS rather fragile aluminum.
- A first-party keyboard/battery case option VS no such thing for the iPad 'Air'.
Bottom Line: The Lumia 2520 has many advantages over the US 499.00 iPad 'Air' to anyone who's actually paying attention sans brand bias.
35. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10309; Member since: 14 May 2012)
-The user available space after MS programs is going to be scary.
-I'm still question why Apple decided 1GB was enough knowing damn well the animations in iOS 7 are heavy.
-Cost (Apple loves this word)
-I'll give you that
-Watching videos and movies on an iPad 3/4 have been pretty amazing, so it shouldn't be no different on the iPad Air
-Polycarbonate is sturdier, but people go for Aluminum because of the way Ives pronounces it and because there's an Apple logo slapped in it
-This is a 50/50. The keyboards for the Surface aren't cheap whereas you can get one (3rd party) for less than $50. Depends on how you look at it.
There are pros and cons with both, but people go for iPads for brand recognition, user experience, and Apple's ecosystem.
70. hmmm... (Posts: 71; Member since: 05 Jun 2013)
I think what he means is that movies on the ipad does not use the whole screen estate because of the ratio, when it does use the whole screen(by cropping or stretching) the movies does not look as nice. it's even worst when the movie is 2.4:1.
36. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1635; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
hahaha good one!! The Lumia is only as good as its OS and windows RT is not up to scratch end of!!
71. dranis6 (Posts: 8; Member since: 27 Oct 2013)
I'm going to buy a POS surface tablet becuase I don't want to spend $15 on headphones :'(
4. Smokin (Posts: 120; Member since: 10 Oct 2013)
Ohmygod the price. Even the iPad 3 is still around 550$ - 750$ here. Usually an Ipad cost 200$ more than top shelf android tab (note 10.1, z tab, etc)
5. GrmanR (Posts: 41; Member since: 09 Apr 2013)
Better camera would make the tablet even more expensive, so no. The rest couldn't be more true. I think I still prefer the Nexus 10 and the Xperia Tablet Z better though
61. -box- (Posts: 3990; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
It costs like less than $75 to make an apple tablet. They still pull over 80% profits on the stupid things (and most things they make, actually), so it's just a way to have an ipadairS next year
8. Genersis (Posts: 217; Member since: 29 May 2013)
Does it have any stylus support? If not, I'm surprised that didn't make the list.
11. scriptwriter (Posts: 396; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)
I would say a self-destruct button but looks like Cook has that covered with the 'ON' button.
15. chrislars (Posts: 77; Member since: 11 Apr 2013)
I agree if you spending the money on the iPad they should be able to throw in a $20 pair of headphones that costs them pennies to mass produce.
24. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10309; Member since: 14 May 2012)
EarPods are amazing... They really go against the Skullcandies and JVC FX series that I've owned.
26. chrislars (Posts: 77; Member since: 11 Apr 2013)
I know, I have them, I like them a lot, but still I feel that it should come with them.
31. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10309; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I agree completely. Millions of people buy iPads, and with the addition of EarPods, it would make the experience better.
16. silencer271 (Posts: 254; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
android, micro sd slot, better price, better camera, not made by apple
23. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10309; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I knew someone was going to say Android.
18. Santi_Santi (unregistered)
1. Widgets like Android
2. Bluetooth file transfer like Android
3. NFC like Android
4. Storage manager like Android
5. Advanced settings like Android
25. Slammer (Posts: 1498; Member since: 03 Jun 2010)
That would be too much user control. Why would users want control on a product they purchased?
54. Santi_Santi (unregistered)
why should i purchase and drive a car if i can keep it in my garage?
55. Santi_Santi (unregistered)
I just did. Nexus 7
42. TheOldOne (Posts: 165; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
6. Run Android 4.3
LOL sorry but I could not help myself
57. Santi_Santi (unregistered)
LOL nice one
27. iampayne (Posts: 322; Member since: 12 Aug 2013)
Maybe its just me but I still think people that take pictures with tablets, look like fools
29. Penywyz (banned) (Posts: 255; Member since: 13 Aug 2013)
#6 actually make it different so it's a new product not just the same thing in a new shell and new package...
39. Penywyz (banned) (Posts: 255; Member since: 13 Aug 2013)
Apple continues to lose market share, so apparently something is broken...
47. Sauce (unregistered)
Too many people these days toss around the word "market share" like they know what they are talking about.