5 things that could have made the Nokia Lumia 920 an even better phone
0. phoneArena posted on 06 Sep 2012, 08:36
We think we've just found not one, not two, but five things that could have made the Lumia 920 an even better smartphone...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
83. dr_fajardo12 posted on 08 Sep 2012, 07:19 1 0
28. Nathan_ingx posted on 06 Sep 2012, 09:18 8 7
Really! Bottle opener is very impractical! Ray S, what's wrong with you? Number 1 says it should be slimmer, and if you add 5, the 'i wish it would be slim' profile becomes redundant!
Besides, one will never be satisfied with what a single device has to offer.
If it's slim, they'd complain about the battery.
And if it's both slim and has beefy battery, they'd complain about the camera. Fact is, 'things that would make a device better' is overated! It will never be over, lets face it.
This type of article is just a hopeless gimmick!!!
53. CanYouSeeTheLight posted on 06 Sep 2012, 10:45 3 0
If you read it properly he never mentions word slimmer, he says the device should be more compact in overall dimensions.
62. Nathan_ingx posted on 06 Sep 2012, 12:55 0 5
Ok. So he never did!
Tell me what your concept of compact is??
Whatever "is" slim is mostly considered compact!!
Are you sure "You-can-surely-see-the-light:"? :P
64. CanYouSeeTheLight posted on 06 Sep 2012, 13:28 2 0
Don't you know what compact means? a less taller, larger and slimmer device, the front dominated by the display the most as possible and not much around the display as you can see the Lumia has a large space below the screen full of unused space, and besides are you that stupid not to understand the joke?
71. Nathan_ingx posted on 06 Sep 2012, 17:36 0 0
Less taller and larger??? The answer is somewhat simillar to LG's very own L3??? Boy...that really is a compact device!!
Everyone has their own joke that people don't want to listen to...yours is one of them i guess!!
80. CanYouSeeTheLight posted on 07 Sep 2012, 07:53 0 0
Answering to raunak's question i think you are indeed stupid, i didn't tell any joke you moron the bottle opener is the joke.. /facepalm
82. eiyoy009 posted on 08 Sep 2012, 04:13 0 0
sorry to say...Phonearena did understand why nokia does not include a higher megapixel...IT IS BECAUSE nokia wants to get a profit like other manufacturer...2nd with the SD card, one thing to say "HOW ABOUT IPHONE?
nokia 920 is truly the most innovative one
2. cdgoin posted on 06 Sep 2012, 08:39 1 4
Forgot a slide out portrait QWERTY keyboard (ala Dell Venue Pro)
3. dr_fajardo12 posted on 06 Sep 2012, 08:44 2 0
i just need, 4, 5 and of course 6!!!
i am amazing with lossless zomm, but i think nokia dont have time enough to make it possibly
5. KParks23 posted on 06 Sep 2012, 08:46 18 6
Ok phone arena how about u guys stop the abundant amount of post hating on nokia.. Ur going to bitch about it already being too thick then complain about it not having a huge 41mp camera do u guys have 5 year Olds posting these story's.. 8.7mp is perfect the screen looks great has a big battery and fast processor and the phone looks great in my opinion. ill never buy a windows phone but I'm tempted.. And it looks like a solid offering and should sell well so why don't u guys get off there damn backs!
25. chaoticrazor posted on 06 Sep 2012, 09:16 10 2
lets see if after the new iphone is released theres summit on here like ' 5 things that would have made the iphone an even better phone' but im sure there wont be . it'll just be praising it
nokia excellent build quality, actual innovation in the camera on the phone and wp8 looks solid
all in all a great phone and competitor for andriod and apple.
it should do well
77. Suts_97 posted on 07 Sep 2012, 01:04 0 0
Sorry to say, but I have to say that this is a retarded and biased post!
57. arsenaljimenez posted on 06 Sep 2012, 11:13 5 0
Agreed, the only one I slightly agree with is the camera, but if you don't want a fatter phone, you can't have that
and people don't want fat ass phones, so nokia did good with the 8.7
and that camera im pretty sure is still better than the other 16mp phones out there.
can't have best of both worlds yet
6. RapidCat posted on 06 Sep 2012, 08:53 13 9
5 things that could have made the Nokia Lumia 920 an even better phone
1. Kick Stephen Elop
2. Kick Stephen Elop
3. Kick Stephen Elop
4. Kick Stephen Elop
5. Kick Stephen Elop
20. lubba posted on 06 Sep 2012, 09:10 3 0
Na, his team built the phone. Not elop. For what the 920 has to offer, tempted to get one.
48. soshi posted on 06 Sep 2012, 10:07 1 2
Agree. Because if those happen then we can add:
6. Jelly Bean OS
75. smartphone posted on 06 Sep 2012, 21:44 0 0
There are already great phones on jellybean why would you this too android. Jellybean is great but it will be bad if every phone had android.
Let the market be competitive and enjoy as the underdog fights.
81. lubba posted on 07 Sep 2012, 09:14 0 0
The day you play with the 920, don't be shy ok. You can admit you love it!
7. e.wvu (unregistered) posted on 06 Sep 2012, 08:56 25 0
So the iPhone didn't get any complaints for having the same design, lack of expandable memory or the lack of support for usb mass storage?
22. phitch posted on 06 Sep 2012, 09:14 16 0
And the ironic thing is it is by the exact same reviewer. Ray S loves his iPhone for all the same reasons he dislikes the Lumia.
Unchanged design -- check!
Unchanged UI -- check!
No expandable memory -- check!
Then PhoneArena wonders why they are accused of being biased to the iPhone. I hate the jumbled UI of Windows Phone 8, I hate the lockdown of the OS, but I am not going to turn around and say those features make another phone great.
Also, lets be 100% clear... the Nokia 808 is a Camera with phone features. It isn't a phone with a camera built in. The thing is massive and you might as well just have a small point and shoot and carry a different phone.
30. chaoticrazor posted on 06 Sep 2012, 09:18 4 1
well i disagree with what you say about the 808, its a phone with exceptional camera. the phone side is just as good as andriod and iOS . belle fp1 isnt as bad as everyone states maybe people should use the phone before judging
35. phitch posted on 06 Sep 2012, 09:31 1 0
You don't have to agree. Yet, how big is this "phone" in comparison to a normal phone with the same screen size? 13.9 mm thick? How thick is a point and shoot camera? A Sony Cyber-shot with 18.2 MP camera is 17.5 mm thick and that is a dedicated camera. So to me, it is a little thick.
38. phitch posted on 06 Sep 2012, 09:35 0 0
Also, at the camera the Nokia is 17.95 mm thick. So it is actually thicker than a point and shoot.
47. chaoticrazor posted on 06 Sep 2012, 10:04 1 0
ok so you make a call with your point and shoot i'll use my 808
the 808 is one device that does all you need with the spotlight on the camera
i dont mind the size as for one it fits fine in the hand and easily usable with one hand. its not overly heavy i mean please if you cant hold it up in one hand you need help
basically we just live in a world where no ones happy. nokia brings mobile camera to a new standard and everyone complains .
49. phitch posted on 06 Sep 2012, 10:12 0 0
I never said it was heavy, I said it was thick, and it is. That being said, if you enjoy the phone, then enjoy it.
50. Mobile-X-Pert posted on 06 Sep 2012, 10:32 0 0
why do you call 10.7mm thick???? iphone 4S is just 9.7mm and the original iphone was 12.13mm.
58. arsenaljimenez posted on 06 Sep 2012, 11:16 0 0
The only difference is that windows did change the UI
change the size of the live tiles at least, nobody is going to have their tiles exactly the same
iphone, everybody has the same icons pretty much
no change, wait except for the 5th row being added, so revolutionary!
76. smartphone posted on 06 Sep 2012, 21:54 0 0
There are originally ten things that made this phone better but PA removed them.
6. It should look like iPhone.
7. It should feel like iPhone.
8. It should have an Apple logo on back.
9. It should have a better camera than iPhone (ya we know in PA tests even iPhone 4 will beat it)
10. Its price should be 400% times the build of materials.
8. Marcus_h posted on 06 Sep 2012, 08:58 0 1
Smaller would be good, and much lighter! Seems a very heavy phone
17. ReformedCtrlZ posted on 06 Sep 2012, 09:06 1 0
if you look at the specs its only a touch heavier than the Lumia 900 which I found to be incredibly light for its size.
55. CanYouSeeTheLight posted on 06 Sep 2012, 10:51 0 0
The Lumia 900 incredibly light for its size? Are you out of your mind? The Galaxy S2 is a 4,3" screened phone just as the Lumia and weighs 116g opposed to the 160g of the Lumia, not to mention that even my 4,7" One X weighs only 130g.
65. Veigald posted on 06 Sep 2012, 13:36 1 0
And Samsung phones aren't exactly known for feeling premium, are they? More known for feeling like cheap toys. Those 50 grams extra add that premium feel you get from the Lumia.
9. lubba posted on 06 Sep 2012, 09:01 6 0
Could have, should have, would have, three things they'll never say about the iPhone. Surprises me that iPhone has expandable memory, yet they don't complain. The os itself isn't even customizable, and they don't even bitch. Weird earphone, new pin plug, and extra length they awe over. Just plain weirdo's.
18. ReformedCtrlZ posted on 06 Sep 2012, 09:08 0 0
because its apple and apple can do no wrong... obviously...
I had a nice conversation with an employee of my Verizon store about how because "it's the iPhone" they get away with everything. The Windows Phone offerings have suffered on Verizon because VZW made the decision to only take and sell LTE smartphones, unless you're the iPhone. WE both decided we severely disliked the iPhone.
11. ReformedCtrlZ posted on 06 Sep 2012, 09:04 2 0
For one, you can't say its too big and then say it doesn't have the REALLY fat 41mp camera sensor. The size is there because they used a 1280x768 WXGA screen resolution, you can't really make that smaller. And if you really need a 41 MP camera, either get the pureview 808 or an SLR, which will take better pictures anyway.
Two, if the Windows Phone UI is boring, then the iPhone experience is worse and I don't see that feeling reflected in posts. Whereas i'm beginning to agree with you if you were talking about WP7.5, WP8 has greatly advanced customization options. By allowing you to pick the size of tiles and place them in an orderly way without restricting that to monotonous pages of 4x4 icons, they get the right balance of choice and aesthetics.
Three, Windows Phone 8 has mass storage mode and the Zune software is going away. Look stuff up before making posts.
Four, The only thing I was disappointed about yesterday was not seeing more of the WP8 End User Features.
12. gilbilly posted on 06 Sep 2012, 09:04 4 1
1. The size does not seem that big. Screen size is a big seller these days so this was a worthwhile gamble.
2. Customizable UI is debatable. Android has it but a great many users put a lot of work into getting back to stock because it often mucks up the fluidity of the phone, something WP has in abundance. As well the iPhone has managed to sell pretty well without it.
3. Isn't that what all that cloud space is for? Expandable memory may be going the way of the dodo and of course the iPhone has sold pretty well without it.
4.You can't complain about the phone being bulky and then wishing it has a 41MPX hump. If we're to be fair, 12MPX takes fine pictures. The biggest issues with phone cameras are detail, color representation, blurred picture and low light adjustment. If an 8MPX can do these things well then there is no issue. Rather than a big hump for lossless zoom, I would rather a case with the option for camera lens attachments.
5. That's just sexist lol
13. whysoserious posted on 06 Sep 2012, 09:04 2 1
The answer to # 5 is simple. Apple already patented that technology. I know it because Apple is the king when it comes to patenting stupid things and they won't pass this chance to get hold with such stupid idea.
14. Joshing4fun posted on 06 Sep 2012, 09:05 0 0
It doesn't need to sacrifice a bit a screen size. That's not why its big. They could have cut off quite a bit of bezel and tried to make it thinner. Or at least one of those. The bigger a phone is, the more important how thick it is.
16. Snoobab posted on 06 Sep 2012, 09:05 2 0
The #1 missing feature of ALL modern smartphones... An FM transmitter! (Manufacturers are you listening?)
19. breathlesstao posted on 06 Sep 2012, 09:09 1 0
With all the iCrap being as it is on the market...I find bringing up non-customisable UI and non-expandable storage pretty preposterous. To put it lightly.
21. cornerofthemoon posted on 06 Sep 2012, 09:10 0 0
I'm getting either the red or yellow one. I'm a sucker for the primary colors.
23. redmd posted on 06 Sep 2012, 09:15 0 0
1. bigger screen, a 5 inch will turn heads, besides we can't really feel the difference in size between 4.3 and 4.5 screen
2. camera, you got that one pa
3. also the expandable storage
4. bigger battery, the 920 is already bulky though
5. qwerty keyboard
27. lubba posted on 06 Sep 2012, 09:18 2 0
I'm fine with everything the 920 has to offer, especially the unbeatable camera. But I sadly wish MS supported Flash. Millions of websites still use it and html 5 is just too slowly adopted right now.
29. Nikolas.Oliver (limited) 4 days ago posted on 06 Sep 2012, 09:18 0 2
i like the design of the ativ s more than this nokia....the bezel on the bottom of the phone is to big
51. Mobile-X-Pert posted on 06 Sep 2012, 10:38 0 0
The number one complain about the Lumia 900 was the small bezel, because it was a little hard sometimes to press the touch keys, that's why in the Lumia 920 they made it bigger.
31. Veigald posted on 06 Sep 2012, 09:20 1 0
So what's the deal here? Nokia launches a phone with the best screen ever, the best camera ever (apart from 808), leading edge processor, wireless charging, etc etc. Why is everyone just jumping on what it does not have when no other phone available has anything better to offer?
33. chaoticrazor posted on 06 Sep 2012, 09:24 0 0
its becuase its not Apple if it had the apple logo on it would be praised for months saying how revolutionary it is..
i think nokia have a fighting chance with this excellent phone
41. Veigald posted on 06 Sep 2012, 09:38 0 0
Yeah, it's so far ahead of any other available phone in pretty much all aspects, so it should have a good chance. This is probably how incredible it has to be to force the haters to admit it's not all that bad. Will be interesting to see the reviews coming out.
42. chaoticrazor posted on 06 Sep 2012, 09:45 0 0
im expecting loads of so called reviewers to do a half hearted review and focus everything on the new iphone. but the few good unbiased reviewers should see this for what it is
fingers crossed people start waking up to who's actually innovating answer-nokia