3rd party accessories not working after KitKat update on Samsung Galaxy Note 3
0. phoneArena 22 Jan 2014, 20:04 posted on
Bad news for Samsung Galaxy Note 3 users. It seems that the new Android 4.4 KitKat update that Samsung has made for the device has a nasty side effect: any 3rd party accessory that doesn't feature an official Samsung identification chip will no longer work with the device. We can't help but wonder if this is one of those changes that will be reversed because of user backlash...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Teja171 (unregistered)
Bad news for Galaxy owners :(
2. Dingy_cellar_dweller (Posts: 206; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)
Apple is right, Samsung is following in it's footsteps.
4. RaKithAPeiRiZ (Posts: 1428; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
its the stupid id chips , Note 3 was the trial run , i guess they will block out wireless chargers and cables in the future
8. Doakie (Posts: 1543; Member since: 06 May 2009)
Well as the owner of a Note 3 now I question if I should just sell my Note 3 and get a Nexus 5. If Samsung is going to be a jerk that makes me not want to buy their products.
9. E.S.1 (Posts: 295; Member since: 14 Sep 2013)
The next move maybe making a Note or Captivate and selling it to other countries like apple
10. Andrewtst (Posts: 436; Member since: 25 Jan 2009)
Solution is out and it is working for root user only.
11. skymitch89 (Posts: 1179; Member since: 05 Nov 2010)
Well, the only real accessories that I'd be using is a bluetooth earpiece/speaker & bluetooth enabled car stereo; aside from a basic protective case & auxiliary cable to my surround sound system. Therefore, I don't really care about the ID lock, at least for now.
12. AfterShock (Posts: 3698; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
Cheap tactic Sammy.
It may be same camp of android, but I like them the least.
13. kabhijeet.16 (Posts: 715; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
Not Fair Samsung.. This move will bite Samsung..
People would start preferring other brands like LG, HTC, Sony..
16. shuaibhere (Posts: 1834; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
Samsung's official statement on this:
it's more like quality check...not like what you guys think..
19. IT_Architect (Posts: 3; Member since: 08 Oct 2014)
"There had been rumors a while back that Samsung would be instituting a policy to only allow accessories with the ID chip...Presumably, accessory makers will begin licensing the ID chip...directly, because the company doesn't monitor our comments section."
Perhaps this will be temporary because the EU is known for not putting up with restrictions like this. However, until that happens, Samsung makes money. You can bet Samsung monitors these comments.