32GB Microsoft Surface Tablet gives you just 16-20GB of free space
0. phoneArena 06 Nov 2012, 01:18 posted on
So you bought a 32GB version of the Microsoft Surface tablet. But according to Microsoft, you will only have 16-20GB of free space to store pictures, videos and tunes; the rest of the space is being used for recovery tools and other things...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. anywherehome (Posts: 971; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
Microsoft must be joking....so with Android I need to buy at least 32Gb, with Windows I have to pay more for 64GB version at least
Microsoft is really going to die soon with their ridiculous behaviour
2. B3BLW29 (Posts: 238; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
But you can use USB memory sticks or SD cards or external drives as well, so why worry so much about inbuilt memory?
6. MeoCao (unregistered)
Sure you can always manage the memory, but that's not the point.
The point is you get much less for the money you pay to MS.
Nexus 10 any1?
11. B3BLW29 (Posts: 238; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
Agreed but at the same time u get flexibility of adding different types of memory, to me its looks like a small trade off and not a deal breaker.
14. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
you got a point...but you'll get a very premium, not plastic-made device!
nexus 10 and the iPad 4(but still pricey, but atleast retina! hope the heating problem of ipad 3 is resolve on ipad 4) is/are a good alternative..but people will buy winRT tablets coz of the semi win8 offering! and RT is made for practical people who want to experience win8 in an ARM chips, those who just want office, really perfect for students and your professionals!
10. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
actually android can do that too...not sure about others but cheap android has a full USB.. so you can transfer file!
17. anywherehome (Posts: 971; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
:) no, you will not change our behaviour.....usb memory I really do not use with my tablet or phone....like everyone :)
7. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
windows Rt has so many pre-loaded apps such as the office RT... so the reason is simple, microsoft put many preloaded apps to winRT to make it efficient...
18. anywherehome (Posts: 971; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
ok, but what about the price!! again going down....wait 2-3 months and nothing :)
13. gothicheart (Posts: 83; Member since: 17 Oct 2012)
ms has put in everything anyone would actually need in any tablet, unlike in of the others, where you have a lot of options and apps to download, most not working, unsecure and full of bugs, and would probably crash in no time. C'mon MS, take my money!!!
19. Kronic (banned) (Posts: 321; Member since: 11 Sep 2012)
It's anywherehome again guys don't bother. This guys crazy he likes to drop his devices from 100m high windows and expects them to survive. Even he himself can't survive a 100m drop. This idiot bought a galaxy nexus instead of a nexus 4. He has no idea about the awesomeness of the surface rt.
20. anywherehome (Posts: 971; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
drop from 100m do you really like it? I usually take photos from 100m with a string.....you without a string? so do you like dropping your phone from 100m? are you really so clever? :)
23. Kronic (banned) (Posts: 321; Member since: 11 Sep 2012)
No you said the glass back of the nexus 4 10 will break if you drop it from a window 100 meters above the ground. I mean anything will break if you throw it from 100 meters.
28. anywherehome (Posts: 971; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
no, read properly next time :)
just said back glass is easy to crack :)
29. Kronic (banned) (Posts: 321; Member since: 11 Sep 2012)
One way or the other you're crazy. I mean you actually thought Galaxy nexus was better than the nexus 4 and you sound like a guy who goes for vacations every 4 days.
30. anywherehome (Posts: 971; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
hey guy, you even lie :)
for me is important to swap batteries because I use it as camera, navigation, guide on vacation so yes GN is better for ME....can you read? :)
32. Kronic (banned) (Posts: 321; Member since: 11 Sep 2012)
You think galaxy nexus has a good camera? It's a 5 megapixel cheap camera which is one of the worst cameras on a smartphone. I think arguing with u is pointless nowherehome !
33. anywherehome (Posts: 971; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
Where Ive said GN has a good camera? Are you really r*rarded?:) What else will you tell me Ive said? :)
3. Savage (unregistered)
I would rather buy a 16GB version and plug a 1 TB Flash Drive.
9. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
there's no 16GB version of winRT and the USB only support 2.0... and i think 1 TB supports 3.0 USB... i dont know if it support 2.0 USB port
15. Savage (unregistered)
That was just an example. Illustrating how space can be expanded.
5. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
i thought they already announce it before? the reason why it dont have 16GB version...
8. brandonrana (Posts: 57; Member since: 04 Nov 2012)
Why posting the same thing again ? Iphone/pad arena invading peoples mind to buy their ipads?
12. CX3NT3_713 (Posts: 2138; Member since: 18 Apr 2011)
Ughhj ,,, one reason why , I took back my 16gb ipad 3,, and bought the 64gb ipad 3 :-) problem solved
16. phil2n (Posts: 487; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
by talking like that, we already know what kind of specie you are.
31. CX3NT3_713 (Posts: 2138; Member since: 18 Apr 2011)
It was supposed, too be for my kids,, but after seeing the retina display, and playing the new need for speed, on it, I was amaze :-)
21. app_droid_soft (Posts: 42; Member since: 09 Sep 2012)
so,its actually 32gb cum 16gb model!
26. Mobile-X-Pert (Posts: 565; Member since: 20 Dec 2010)
This tablet has Micro SD card slot and the Ipad doesn't.
22. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
This is typical of any device you purchase - phones, tablets, laptops, desktops.... whatever it says you have for data storage, it will always be less...no biggie
25. Mobile-X-Pert (Posts: 565; Member since: 20 Dec 2010)
This is the reason why there is no 16GB version of the Surface RT...so 499.99 for the 16GB version plus SD card slot is pretty reasonable.
27. MorePhonesThanNeeded (Posts: 645; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
Stop trying to rationalize rubbish, Windows is a bloated OS has always been and it still continues this. Windows recovery tools takes up 5GB of space and then OS with Windows RT and some app eat up another 8GB...are you serious? Then you want to tell me about Cloud storage and USB drives? Do I look like I want to carry around a USB drive with me for everything, when I'm already toting a 10"+ Surface and it's accessories? SD card storage is a plus in my eyes, but for a first attempt, this thing blows. Lackluster screen resolution, weak performance from the CPU/GPU, pricey for what it's offering and the ARM models aren't a fully compatible windows OS...it needs apps from the windows 8 store to use with it...this is what people are saying is a decent attempt at a tablet?
When the competition is pushing the boundaries with screen resolution and quality, OS that do not murder the usable storage space, full fledge OS and can take advantage of hundreds of thousands of apps already available for the platform...cheaper as well...why is there any reason to switch? Where's the compelling argument that is pro surface? I'm completely astonished at this storage revelation, I was already cringing at the thought of 23GB usable out of 32GB on a Surface RT...that is some serious storage loss right there. By comparison how much does Android and iOS take up?
34. phil2n (Posts: 487; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
IOS charge their 16 gb for 150 bucks. that is almost half of the price of surface