25% of cell towers in 10 states are out, payphones become relevant again
0. phoneArena 31 Oct 2012, 07:18 posted on
As you surely know already, hurricane Sandy hit the U.S. East Coast yesterday, leaving chaos and destruction in its path. The aftermath of the disaster is yet to be assessed, but it is currently estimated that about $15 billion in damage have been caused. Cell phone infrastructure has suffered as well, as the FCC reports, and about 25% of all towers across 10 states from Virginia to Massachusetts are currently not functioning...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. ajac09 (Posts: 1477; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
time to make pay phones free at least for this crisis.
2. mercorp (Posts: 998; Member since: 28 Jan 2012)
I'm at a payphone trying to call home
All of my change I spent on you
Where have the times gone
Baby it's all wrong, where are the plans we made for two?
3. RaKithAPeiRiZ (Posts: 1488; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
Rofl..i was just listening to it on radio
5. Cyan3boN (Posts: 439; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
these people should just stay in their homes.
8. ibap (Posts: 738; Member since: 09 Sep 2009)
Cyan3boN - your avatar says it all about your post. Yuck! I presume you poop on everything? Maybe they're calling to check on mom, or tell her they are OK.
6. Malique001 (Posts: 58; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
Finally an article on the situation. I thought it was my Galaxy Nexus having radio issues but this still blows. Hopefully Verizon fixes the issue asap
9. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
Yep i was like selling pre paid phones like crazy today. try to call my relatives in ny/nj non of them doesn't have power only text works
10. Malique001 (Posts: 58; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
*Update* Verizon towers in NYC are working again guys. 3G and 4G are back