1G, 2G, 3G, 4G: The evolution of wireless generations
0. phoneArena 01 Sep 2013, 17:24 posted on
From the roots of analog based first generation service (1G) to today’s truly broadband-ready LTE...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
17. akki20892 (Posts: 3706; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Still missing those days that we had 1G.
19. Shatter (Posts: 2036; Member since: 29 May 2013)
I'm not. Think 10 years from now 4g LTE A and todays smartphones would be considered complete crap and slow.
24. TechBizJP08 (Posts: 495; Member since: 25 Mar 2013)
ah yes, the nokia 5110.. With the atena sticking out, green screen black text. snake games, 160 characters limit, expensive call.
27. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6812; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
especially those classic NOKIA phones when u can custom putting different color front casing
2. fanboy1974 (Posts: 1313; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
I knew you guys could do it. A very informative article.
29. laheelahee (Posts: 213; Member since: 09 Apr 2012)
now, if only wireless co's had data plans/pricing to match...
3. Commentator (Posts: 2573; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
How do you keep smartphone users happy?
19% network performance.
*COUGH COUGH* SPRINT *COUGH COUGH*
7. Bernoulli (Posts: 1814; Member since: 01 Sep 2012)
It seems that t-mobile is the best choice, since it covers both key points, network performance AND getting the bang for the buck every month
20. Shatter (Posts: 2036; Member since: 29 May 2013)
4g speeds for me 5-20mbps
4g LTE speeds for me: 10-40mbps
usually it sits around 10-15mbps on 4g and 20-30 on LTE, just depends where I am really.
8. Jack58221 (Posts: 137; Member since: 23 Feb 2013)
There is nothing wrong with Sprint. they are the best out there. I know this from the recording when I call Sprint customer care 3 times a week because of overcharging me on my bill or hours of no service.
9. HASHTAG (unregistered)
Sprint is the best out there? LMAO! I'm a Sprint customer as well and can't tell you how awful they are. And for you to have to call them 3 times a week, is that suppose to be a good thing?
11. Jack58221 (Posts: 137; Member since: 23 Feb 2013)
sorry. I should have ended that with a notice of sarcasm. I've been trying to get out with out paying termination fees. but I don't think they will give in.
18. HASHTAG (unregistered)
My bad. I'd probably would've gotten your sarcasm if I wasn't so sick today. Lol. Headache and all.
If I were you, I would just cancel and pay the term fee. That's what I doing Tuesday. Already ordered my phone from AT&T. Yeah, it will suck paying the term fee, but at the end it'll be worth it.
16. ardent1 (Posts: 1999; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)
The rest of us got your sarcasm.
Unfortunately, not everyone understands (or appreciates) sarcasm ... lol
26. JEEPOFFROADV8 (Posts: 35; Member since: 01 Apr 2009)
what i can say about sprint is there 3g speeds have improved 2 fold in my area (2.0mbdl) and the other day i got a 4g icon pop up. the speeds werent anything to talk about. about the same as 3g but it will improve once they add backhaul. they have great voice coverage always did.
4. aztaxia12295 (Posts: 267; Member since: 22 Nov 2009)
Never trust anything from bgr, that place reeks
5. Commentator (Posts: 2573; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
It's from Commscope, so unless BGR is lying about it being from Commscope, this isn't from BGR.
6. juandante (Posts: 446; Member since: 23 Apr 2013)
5G what will be the running guy doing ? Superman ?
10. Jack58221 (Posts: 137; Member since: 23 Feb 2013)
well since China is starting to flood the market and take over, I think it should be something in honor of them... how about a rickshaw for 5g?
13. Jack58221 (Posts: 137; Member since: 23 Feb 2013)
I assume that is done anime character or something. if so that would be about right.
15. Whateverman (Posts: 3233; Member since: 17 May 2009)
*Gasping in horror*
Man, you have GOT to check out DragonBall Z like right now! Or else your Geek Card will get revoked! Oh, and not the GT series. It was okay, but was kinda weird. :)
21. Shatter (Posts: 2036; Member since: 29 May 2013)
5G would be someone driving a car or motorcycle. 6G would be a sports car, 7G would be a train 8G would be an airplae, 9G would be a Jett 10G would be a Space ship.
22. GeekMovement (Posts: 1588; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
well it would be nice if we actually had coverage... i'm looking at you, Sprint.
28. captivater (Posts: 5; Member since: 02 Sep 2013)
What's with the name-calling towards Sprint. It's really simple, stop paying. When they see there is no additional commerce to be squeezed out of their business model, they will reform.
Prime example: AOL. Much of their revenue was coming from people born in the 40s who are still paying for dial-up service with free email. Cha Ching.
Even the geezers are wising up.