10 of the greatest Windows Mobile smartphones ever
0. phoneArena 09 Apr 2012, 12:11 posted on
Peeking over the current crop of Windows Phone, devices like the Nokia Lumia 900, Samsung Focus S, Dell Venue Pro, and HTC Titan II easily all stand out as the premier of the crop, but long before them, Microsoft built its reputation around its aging Windows Mobile...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
15. REYNER (Posts: 187; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
i got excited as i was starting to read this article but i ended up quite disappointed and yet satisfied at some point i agree with the HD2's impressive early adaptation of big screens and 1ghz processors but im disappointed as my old wMo samsung Omnia II is not included thats a good phone though but too laggy it has the 1st 800mhz but after a year 1ghz arrived haha memories i just remember what i said exactly when im thinking of getting an HTC HD2 "too big it looks like a portable t.v" hahaha and now smartphones regularly has a screen size of 4.3-4.7 hahaha technology.. very impressive
28. John.V (Posts: 99; Member since: 27 May 2011)
Yeah, I remember the OMNIA II having that cool design in the rear, but by the time of its release, WM was going out the door. Personally, I'd like to see more portrait style QWERTY Windows Phones - things like the Palm Treo Pro and HTC Snap.
29. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5711; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
yeah i think the Omnia II came out like a month before the Droid and Droid Eris. REALLY bad timing for such a nice phone.
16. good2great (Posts: 1042; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
that HTC Touch Pro 2 for tmobile had the BEST keyboard i ever used... good memories for me...
34. John.V (Posts: 99; Member since: 27 May 2011)
The TP2 has one of my favorite keyboards. Layout is smart & organized too. As for portrait QWERTY stuff, the HTC Snap also gets my nod in addition to the Palm Treo Pro.
17. jwl3429 (Posts: 36; Member since: 28 Sep 2009)
Android will go the way of windows mobile just give it time, it is bound to happen. History will repeat its self. PS I use and android phone, not trolling.
20. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
what history do they have in common?
the only thing they share was multitasking an a semi-open source nature on MS's side vs fully open source by google.
All things come and go, but android is growing like wildfire, where at this point in wp5/6x's life it was still the small guy and shrinking from RIM and soon the iphone.
22. bayhuy (Posts: 320; Member since: 23 Jun 2011)
HTC HD2 is still the best phone...true legend...
36. John.V (Posts: 99; Member since: 27 May 2011)
Gotta give the HTC Touch HD some props too, but yeah, the HD2 was the platform's shining moment.
46. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
u have obviously never worked for a carrier. the HD2 was one of the biggest buggiest easilest broken POS ever to grace the carrier. It was pretty sure, but that was it.
The TouchPro2 was the last great windows phone that actually worked.
26. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5711; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
i remember the Omnia quite well. my dad had one and when he was through using it as his primary it became my custom ROM playground. xD the HD2 and the TG01 were pretty nice too. one phone i was surprised to not see make the list was the TouchPro 2. REALLY nice phone and it was a rarity on most Carriers (which btw launched on ALL major US Carriers) on launch because those bad boys were selling like hot cakes. o:
31. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
darn it.. i was just about to make fun of you for missing literally the biggest phone on the list. lolz.
33. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5711; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
yeah, i don't know how i missed it. i guess i expected it to stand out more. maybe next time! xD
35. snowgator (Posts: 3598; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
One of my Boiler Inspectors STILL uses a Palm with WM. :-D
Really glad the Blackjack from Samsung wasn't on there. That phone was so bad I went back to a feature Phone for a while!!
37. John.V (Posts: 99; Member since: 27 May 2011)
Wow, I forgot about the Samsung Blackjack, thanks for reminding me too about that one. Also, how could I have forgotten about the Moto Q as well?
44. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5711; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
yeah, the Q was actually a real trendsetter. the Q is what made everybody want to make the Smartphone Sexy too. o:
40. John.V (Posts: 99; Member since: 27 May 2011)
Yeah, it was part of that line (XV6800 i think), that came out prior to the original Touch Pro.
50. lsutigers (Posts: 820; Member since: 08 Mar 2009)
The Sprint HTC Mogul was very popular, too.
51. Jyakotu (Posts: 844; Member since: 12 Dec 2008)
I'm glad the Sony Xperia made the list. It's funny to see how far smartphones have come. Many things that are so common in today's market were started with Windows Mobile first. I actually remember wanting a Samsung Epix. Still, I'm glad Microsoft is now aiming for a more cohesive and smoother experience and ecosystem with Windows Phone 8. Now if only manufacturers weren't so LAZY and started to make some different hardware designs. Like, IDK, many more Windows Phones with QWERTY keyboards. I need my keyboard.!
52. sinfiery (Posts: 19; Member since: 18 Mar 2012)
HTC TouchPro2 owner to this very day!
I do not look forward to the day when I must go from The perfect keyboard ever produced for a phone to one where I must jam at on screen buttons in hopes to convey my trivial ideas to others at such an accelerated rate as per my mind being spoiled by such a magnificent keyboard.
Not to mention the developer support the phone received.
53. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5711; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
if you're on Verizon the Droid 3 and 4 are great keyboard equipped alternatives. o:
54. plantman60 (Posts: 20; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
Come on, nobody remembers the audiovox xv6600? 4" screen using wm2003! :P
55. romeo1 (Posts: 719; Member since: 06 Jan 2012)
Oh how i love the x1
the build quality was really good.
i loved that phone the keyboard was really good also.
to bad i lost the phone :-( hope i will find it one day
56. phatride4ever (Posts: 33; Member since: 01 Mar 2012)
I LOVED my LG eXpo, I really wish WinMo was still around...
57. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5711; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
it is it's just evolved and you can still get WM6.x devices. o:
58. david_the_gom (Posts: 114; Member since: 20 Dec 2008)
Touch Pro 2 was great for me~ :) I still miss its TouchFlo 3D interface, not the WM system... One of the BEST qwerty ever!!
59. Cn_Se (Posts: 18; Member since: 27 Mar 2012)
i think it was nice to mention that thanks to "htc hd2's specs" it's a "Multy OS" device
i have one, and now i have android 4.0.4 on it and if i want, i can change it to wp 7.5 refresh
it's just something you do see much these days