10 essential Android utility apps that should be on your phone
0. phoneArena 04 Jul 2014, 05:08 posted on
Let's face facts: most people use their smartphones to text, to take occasional selfies, and to fool around with Farmville-like casual games. But every now and then, there's real work to be done, and this is an area that smartphone apps are particularly crafty in. And as technology continues to develop, so will smartphone's applications...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. WahyuWisnu (Posts: 1001; Member since: 29 May 2014)
For me the most essential apps is airdroid.
I also think Wifi analyzer apps is important apps, especially if you want to set your wifi router to the least busy frequency so that strong wifi signal from neighboor won't ruining your internet experience
2. Planterz (Posts: 1505; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
7, 8, and 10 require root. You shoud mention this in the descriptions.
4. Chris.P (Posts: 382; Member since: 27 Jun 2013)
It's mentioned. Root browser doesn't require root to take advantage of the extra functionality over a typical, built-in file browser.
6. buccob (Posts: 1964; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
Yeah Chris, RebelwithoutaClue is correct, Tasker does not require Root, and you should show "Llama" as the Free alternative... neither require Root, but when you do, it allows for many more actions...
Also Llama require Administrator permisions for some actions (dont know about Tasker for this one)
And for comparissons, Tasker has a much better UI, with easier to create tasks and overall more powerful... Llama on the other hand is a bit simpler in terms of app navigation, and it can roughly do almost everything tasker does, for free.
5. RebelwithoutaClue (Posts: 1869; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
Tasker doesn't require root, but I can do a lot more when it has. But it is still very functional without root.
9. steelew (Posts: 127; Member since: 04 Jun 2012)
1. Flashlight https://play.google.com/store/
apps/details?id=com.ivon.flashworks as simple on/off for flashlight (this is my favorite flashlight) light
7. ES file manager (it can has root if you let it.)
8. Trigger is great and easier to use than tasker(I started using it with NFC but it works in a lot of other ways)
9. Pushbullet works everywhere (windows, android, chrome browser, presumably Mac)
10. App manager pro works even if you don't have an SD card (nexus 7 2013) to help clear junk files.
10. HildyJ (Posts: 217; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Scientific calculator - Calculator (Cyanogen Mod) does everything, including graphing and matrix functions. Despite the name, it does not require root or the Cyanogen mod. It's free and open source with no odd permissions or advertising.
File Manager - I'd recommend checking out NextApp's File Explorer as well. It seems to have the same capabilities and it adds things like a notepad and permissions explorer.
One thing not included is a shortcut maker like QuickShortcutMaker. It allows you to create shortcuts to a point inside your apps. For example, instead of a flashlight app, I created a shortcut to the flashlight inside of Smart Tools.
11. Jon.b (Posts: 22; Member since: 05 Jul 2014)
Scientific Calculator - What you have ranked is old and I guess your should have featured Calcoid & Calcoid Plus that is the best Scientific Calculator you will find on the Android Play Store.
12. Hitesht (Posts: 1; Member since: 05 Jul 2014)
Hey I just checked out Calcoid. It's amazing. You are right they should have featured Calcoid rather than what they have shown.
14. mdemars11 (Posts: 3; Member since: 17 Dec 2010)
For caluclators, I would recommend Graph 89 Free which you have to install the OS for the Texas Instruments TI-89 Platinum which can be found by searching for TI 89 rom and is a more powerful calculator than any of the ones listed.
15. lisaaio (Posts: 1; Member since: 09 Sep 2014)
i use All-In-One toolbox, as the name suggested, it has all the essential utility apps in one, clean the junk files, flashlight, file manager, auto task app and so on. you can visit: aiotoolbox.com