10 cheap smartphones from companies you've actually heard of (2013 edition)
0. phoneArena 14 Aug 2013, 10:33 posted on
Smartphones are awesome, there's no doubt about that. They take photos, play music, run apps, and do all kinds of neat things that weren't even imaginable just a few years ago. But at the same time, they can be pretty expensive. A top-of-the-line smartphone may cost well over $600 unlocked, and many people just aren't willing or able to pay that much to own one. Thankfully, there's the low-end spectrum of the smartphone market. There's a whole bunch of not-so-expensive devices that offer many of the core features expected from a smartphone without costing an arm and a leg...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. emadshiny (Posts: 1127; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
Lumias are the best in this range.
7. antmiu2 (Posts: 184; Member since: 19 Jun 2011)
sorry to pop your lumia bubble the razr v is the best from above / spec by spec
14. emadshiny (Posts: 1127; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
I don't see any superiority over lumias
38. ardent1 (Posts: 1991; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)
Used phones can go for pennies on ebay.
The correct way to value an used phone is to look at reconditioned phones that have a limited warranty. You won't find unlocked, factory-certified iPhone 4S for $220.
Btw, a reconditioned iPhone 4 is going for $200 on Aio wireless' website.
22. Bilpocalypse (Posts: 301; Member since: 13 Oct 2012)
Spec by spec doesn't always come into play when comparing a WP8 to an Android, as the latter has higher requirements. If you had the same exact specs between the RAZR and the 620, the 620 would literally decimate it on performance.
39. ardent1 (Posts: 1991; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)
You make an assumption that the Razr V in the article has the same specs as the ones sold in the US.
The truth is Moto "generally" sells better spec'd devices in Asia. It could be an even better phone.
51. Bilpocalypse (Posts: 301; Member since: 13 Oct 2012)
You missed the point. Even if the moto has better specs, the 620 will have better performance because of lower requirements.
11. LetsBeHonest (Posts: 616; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
Well said buddy i own a Lumia 520, best value for money. No lag , very responsive, decent display, good looking design,Nokia's brand image and quality and modern looking UI (like it or not windows phone's ui is unmatchable )
mid range specs on entry level phone.
android is pretty bad on law end phone at least for now may be KLP may change that since it is rumoured to perform well on 512mb ram devices.
i only recommend mid to high end android phones.
46. shadez10 (Posts: 395; Member since: 15 Jan 2012)
"mid range specs on entry level phone with a high end performance"
23. Dastrix (Posts: 570; Member since: 23 Nov 2012)
Best looking: Xperia E
Category killer(s): Lumia 620/520
Best choice: Lumia 620
27. timukh (Posts: 152; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
620 has got everything! starting from front facing camera, dolby sound, NFC. clearblack display and a very good camera even at 5mp! These are the excess features over the rest of the phones in that category! Sure wp is still behind but it comes at a time when the market is dominated by android and ios. So of course it will take a little time to get a fair market share. Duh!!
But it is improving a lot! And the rate triumphs that of android and ios.
33. akki20892 (Posts: 3238; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Every phone from Nokia looks so gorgeous and premium. And look at that lumia 520, every phones looks blurry front of lumia 520 except 620 and Xperia.
36. carilotoz (Posts: 10; Member since: 31 Jul 2012)
im surprised that no one talk about the l5 ii the lumias are amazing but i think that the l5 ii should be number 1, 2 or at least 3 because it has the same display as the lumias, it is very responsive & has no lags & can play many of the 3d games without lags, it has an excellent 1700 mAh battery it is the secnd in the list after the razr v (1750 mAh) and it is android 4.1 out of the box ,it is very light (only 100 g), small even it has an impressive IPS 4 inch display & very thin(the thinnest one here is the razr v and it is the second) it is 9.2 mm and its ui is impressive and very important thing that it comes with a dual sim version and the most important thing that it has an LED light on the home button that i think there is no device here has an LED light and a quick button for some apps like the beatifull quick memo and has a camera shutter button which is the quick button and it has a cheeze shutter....
so i think it is better than lumia 520 (it has the same price) even it has a single core and it is cheaper than the ugly galaxy fame.....
Finally im sure it is the best in this list...........
54. Mohammad15 (Posts: 3; Member since: 13 Aug 2013)
43. microsoftnokiawin (Posts: 880; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
samsung has the worst low end phones ever out of all of them i would either get a lumia or maybe a razer non of the others
59. timpeng (Posts: 1; Member since: 08 Jan 2014)
For those who want to buy High Cost Performance and Cheap Android phones, here is a good place, jasperstore.com
2. TwentyWendy (banned) (Posts: 65; Member since: 12 Aug 2013)
Believe me or not, lumia 520 is the worst among all the above...
3. rawbow (Posts: 406; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
Lumia 520 is a cool phone. Android is close to worthless in this range.
12. LetsBeHonest (Posts: 616; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
All right i am not going to believe you.
17. great (Posts: 56; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
you must be mad ! who gives you a 4 inch 480 by 800 screen and a dual core krait processor under 200 $ .....
only galaxy phones at that price look cheap !
30. Jehovah (Posts: 64; Member since: 25 Jun 2013)
I respectfully disagree... I played with one for a hole afternoon and turns out to be an impressive divice, only wished it had a led flash unit.
4. Credo (Posts: 683; Member since: 19 Apr 2012)
The Lumia 520 & 620 are the best, they both have a good screen, design, features and processors for that price range, Windows Phone will never lag at that hardware ...
5. xtian1103 (Posts: 352; Member since: 11 Feb 2012)
hey nick t., how about "10 cheap smartphones from companies you haven't heard of!" take for expample Blu Life Play, Micromax, Xiaomi.
6. slygates (Posts: 4; Member since: 27 Jul 2013)
nokia lumia is the best phone @ this range i know it
9. itsjustJOH (Posts: 74; Member since: 18 Oct 2012)
The Galaxy Star looks like a pebble, works like a rock.
10. xperiaDROID (Posts: 5047; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Nokia Lumias are the best this range, especially the Lumia 620, cute and funky.
13. mousesports (Posts: 238; Member since: 28 Feb 2013)
Trolls didnt accept the truth ... NOKIA smash them all !
15. LetsBeHonest (Posts: 616; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
I rank them
1) Lumia 620 ( great display,smooth, dual core,nokia support, front camera etc)
2) Lumia 520/razr v
3) razr v/Lumia 520
4) LG optimus L5 II
5) Galaxy frame
6) LG optimus L4 II
7) xperia E
8) Galaxy young
9) LG optimus L3 II
10) Galaxy star
16. TylerGrunter (Posts: 861; Member since: 16 Feb 2012)
I´m surprised the LG Optimus L7 II didn´t make the list, it´s cheap and the best one on quality vs price of the LX series IMHO.
32. carilotoz (Posts: 10; Member since: 31 Jul 2012)
l7 ii was in the mid range list 1 month ago
but i think that the l5 ii is better because it has no lags at all but the l7 ii has some lags
18. GTR722 (Posts: 222; Member since: 20 Oct 2012)
WHERE in the world you can get that Razor V unlocked??
21. Berzerk000 (Posts: 3871; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
19. -box- (Posts: 3707; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Good list. If I had to pick one it would be the Lumia 620, but I would rather save up a little longer and get a 720.
24. geodude074 (Posts: 67; Member since: 05 Mar 2013)
Samsung Galaxy S II is unlocked for $200 now.
28. timukh (Posts: 152; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
S II is two and a half years old dude! It came out with android 2.3! Now there is android 4.3! See for yourself how old that phone is now and its hardware parts too!
48. geodude074 (Posts: 67; Member since: 05 Mar 2013)
You guys are flaming idiots.
It may be 2 1/2 years old, but it's still faster and more powerful than every phone here. Don't believe me? Go compare the specs for yourself.
Only one phone from this list can compete, and that's the RAZR V. It has the same 1.2 GHz processor speed and slight more pixels, but I'd still rather buy the GS2 because it has a removable battery.
49. timukh (Posts: 152; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
S II has exynos dual core 1.2Ghz. I hope you know that Snapdragon 1Ghz dual core is way better than exynos. Because it ran 2.3 gingerbread it did not have that many problems. But try running ICS on that or JB (which may never happen). Be my guest. I know because I have seen an S II running ICS and believe me you will regret if you buy that.
50. geodude074 (Posts: 67; Member since: 05 Mar 2013)
I've flashed 4.1 on a couple devices that originally had 2.3. They both had improved response time and in general ran smoother and faster. Your claims are inaccurate and false.
The RAZR V has a TI SoC. The Lumia 620 I admit I overlooked since I was only looking at Android. But if you want a Windows Phone, be my guest.
SGS II is still your best choice for a $200 phone.
29. vincent95 (Posts: 17; Member since: 19 May 2012)
My friend just got a Nokia Lumia, but she got the 521... it's a pretty nice phone as far as I can tell, though it doesn't have flash or a front camera, but still has 4G and WP8! (:
31. Topcat488 (Posts: 1109; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
For some reason, i have a feeling Apple is going to have to lower the price of the iphone 5C... Cause a $300.00 starting price, they're going to be hanging around that Apple tree until they rot.
34. Ninny (Posts: 5; Member since: 21 May 2013)
I think PA is Missing "Sony Xperia M". This is the best phone in this range, It is priced at Rs 12990/- in India. Less than Nokia Lumia 620..
40. MistB (Posts: 550; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
Yellow Lumia 620 owns all, was going to get the 520 but I didn't like the shape and it's nondescript look. Lumias should be the benchmark for budget range handsets, they just simply own all of the low end droids of this category, at least until Key Lime Pie comes along.
The budget market is the emerging one, i sense that the low end of the smartphone will continue to gain marketshare amidst improving specs and may outsell the high end and more expensive premium top spec superphones which will only get more expensive as innards/processors/batteries and technology improves.
41. SavageLucy42 (Posts: 211; Member since: 24 Mar 2011)
Considering a Lumia 520 since my current phone won't hold a charge and I'm not upgrade eligible yet. That and I'd like to test drive the Windows OS.
53. Mohammad15 (Posts: 3; Member since: 13 Aug 2013)
LG L5 II is a fantastic phone maybe I didn't try Nokia, but LG Is really really worth it.
56. vipuls1979 (Posts: 4; Member since: 27 Jul 2013)
before buying a phone i would recommend you go ahead with this post about tips for buying android phone