1 in 5 people in Japan have a smartphone, most are Android
0. phoneArena 22 Aug 2012, 22:43 posted on
Japan was a bit slow to jump on the smartphone bandwagon, mostly because so-called feature phones in Japan were always pretty feature-rich with games, apps, and even broadcast TV, but the country has gone for smartphones, and the uptake has been impressive...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
4. RangersK (Posts: 59; Member since: 15 May 2012)
M/S in 2Q
0. Apple (32%)
1. Sharp (22.6%)
2. Panasonic (13.6%)
3. Fijitsu (11.8%)
4. NEC (8.9%)
5. Sony (7.9%)
18. SleepingOz (Posts: 2464; Member since: 22 Oct 2011)
10. wendygarett (unregistered)
wrong most are apple iphone (32%)
i love japan :D
13. ardent1 (Posts: 1980; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)
Wrong - most denotes the majority, not the popular brand.
17. anywherehome (Posts: 971; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
more than 10 year economic stagnation....but still better than US and EU increasing irresponsible debts.....we have voted for them, our fault
3. Lawliet (Posts: 160; Member since: 02 Jul 2012)
And each season, their networks offer the best phones in both look and specs
14. ardent1 (Posts: 1980; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)
Best is debatable; you have to wonder why the modern world smartphone did not originate in Japan. The Japanese phones do have some world class leading features, but that alone does not make them the best phones..
Btw, T. Obata is a great mangaka.
7. Seannyc (Posts: 59; Member since: 21 Jul 2012)
Japaneses have their own phones, but it actually looks very nice. The features are also very nice. Every phone is very unique. I heard when our phone was using standard 5mp theirs was at least 12+mp standard.
8. roscuthiii (Posts: 1712; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
I'm very envious of the mobile device world outside of the US... they either seem to get better service, better plans, or better handsets - if not all of the above.
We need to break the carrier's grip on the market over here. My next phone is so so sooooooo (enough o's there?) going to be unlocked right out of the gate.
11. wendygarett (unregistered)
4 out of 5 Japanese love features phone :D
They love iphone because it looks like features phone :D
16. pegasso (Posts: 129; Member since: 27 Nov 2011)
you can find some of them here :
12. snowgator (Posts: 3158; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
1 in 5??? Sounds like a wide open market.
Unless they still prefer feature phones.
19. downphoenix (Posts: 2230; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
well as the article says, their feature phones are better than ours. They actually HAVE features.
21. JC557 (Posts: 699; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
Those feature phones from NTT DoCoMo were always several years ahead of feature phones in the US. They had video conferencing, large camera sensors and MP count, email, web browsing, TV... basically a smartphone in its own right.
15. denied911 (banned) (Posts: 361; Member since: 31 May 2012)
1 in 5 mobile phone users in the country had a smartphone, but now the number is 1 in 5
20. gwuhua1984 (Posts: 1237; Member since: 06 Mar 2012)
I remember when the SE k800i came out and there's no way to get it here cept to get it unlocked. 8MP camera with front facing camera and 3G capability, while the phone offered here were just 2.0 to 3.0MP with only 2G data. There was a reason why they didn't see the immediate need to change to a smartphone, because their cell phone could do a lot already.